• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi all, 

Finally got around to joining the site, you might recognize my coasters from the hideous carpet in the photos. Anyway, I'm attempting to recreate Mako at seaworld. I've been wanting to make a hyper coaster and do a recreation for a while, so this kills two birds with one stone. Here it is so far: 

IMG_2104_zpsqyrbek8k.jpg

IMG_2117_zpsxzhun8sh.jpg

IMG_2114_zpswa4clskb.jpg

IMG_2113_zpsdqyjosgh.jpg

Updates will be pretty slow cause I can only build when I'm home for the odd weekend, so I don't want to change the drop too much/at all if possible to avoid losing interest. Its ambitious but I'm hoping it'll turned out well even if I have to go custom. Tell me what you think :)

#2 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

I really like the shaping and supports on the drop. Also I think I might have seen some of your videos but I'm not sure, what's your channel called?

Here's a picture of the drop on Mako: 

Attached File  thumb_12509559_1684944425084502_1275115451101817261_n.jpg   95.06KB   2 downloads

Edited by KirbyCoast, 24 February 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#3 frank

frank

Construction Foreman

• 246 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

Yay your back to building

look great

AKA Coaster101

:)

#4 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

Welcome!

Nice work so far. That ride is the background looks pretty sweet too.

#5 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:08 AM

Welcome to SSCoasters!

The shaping and supporting looks spot-on! Recreating Mako will be tough, but I think you can pull this off. The rollercoaster in the background looks great, I do not think I have seen it before. 

Posted Image

#6 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

Turns out I was already subscribed to you so I know your credentials as a builder (and that carpet) ;)) Judging by what you've done in the past, I think you could do a very good job of this. The start you have here is very encouraging.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#7 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

I love your coasters! This coaster is going to look so dope if you finish it and if you can't complete it, an amazing recreational. Good luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#8 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I managed to get home this weekend and got some building done (as well as a bit of fifa). 

I really like the shaping and supports on the drop. Also I think I might have seen some of your videos but I'm not sure, what's your channel called?

Here's a picture of the drop on Mako: 

attachicon.gifthumb_12509559_1684944425084502_1275115451101817261_n.jpg

Thanks, and here's a link to my channel - https://www.youtube....PWtYsagbjA8YLxg

Yay your back to building

look great

AKA Coaster101

:)

Cheers

Welcome!

Nice work so far. That ride is the background looks pretty sweet too.

Thanks! Here's the other coaster if you're interested - https://www.youtube....h?v=NIVkwKlgCLo

Welcome to SSCoasters!

The shaping and supporting looks spot-on! Recreating Mako will be tough, but I think you can pull this off. The rollercoaster in the background looks great, I do not think I have seen it before. 

Thanks, yeah it'll be hard, but I'm feeling relatively optimistic so far. 

Turns out I was already subscribed to you so I know your credentials as a builder (and that carpet) ;)) Judging by what you've done in the past, I think you could do a very good job of this. The start you have here is very encouraging.

Cheers. looking by the size of it now it won't fit in this room, so hopefully I'll find a way to get it downstairs and outside, at least the carpet won't be in the video. 

I love your coasters! This coaster is going to look so dope if you finish it and if you can't complete it, an amazing recreational. Good luck!

Thanks, hopefully I'll get it done :)

So I've finish the weird turnaround/overbank, which has really eaten into my pieces. Thankfully I still have the other coaster to take apart, but it looks like I'll have to buy some more to finish this. Pretty happy with how it turned out. And I'll post a test video in my next update in Easter once I've finish the first camelback. 

Photos: 

IMG_2460_zpsysffrdr7.jpg

IMG_2463_zpsf3nanpwc.jpg

IMG_2464_zpseegxlhlk.jpg

IMG_2469_zpsdt5zxrek.jpg

IMG_2471_zpsldnadisy.jpg

IMG_2472_zpselp3minq.jpg

IMG_2478_zps3qhfhaqm.jpg

IMG_2479_zpsbrd8iwsj.jpg

IMG_2510_zpsk2wlhxtu.jpg

#9 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

I think the turnaround looks amazing, thought there are some things I noticed:

1. There is a sharp spot in the valley right before the train starts the first element.
2. The tubes look really bent in some places and I think that could be an easy fix.
3. The sharp spot on the drop could be adjusted too.

I love the element and I'm surprised it looks this good. Nice job so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#10 sixflagsguy5

sixflagsguy5

Engineering Student

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

Looks pretty awesome!  Since Mako hasn't opened yet, maybe you could consider it a pre-creation instead of a recreation?  :)

Maybe you could do something with several large throw rugs or tarp to cover up the colorful carpet and make the track/supports stand out more?

Selling my KNEX Collection

#11 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

My jaw kinda dropped the first time I saw that overbank. I guess it could be a little smoother heading into it but I know that Mako does have that funny straight spot after the first drop so it won't take much to get that sorted. Great work so far.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#12 Mikecoastermaniac

Mikecoastermaniac

Where'd He Go?

• 1770 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

Wow looks great to me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Watch My Coasters!

http://youtube.com/u...CoasterCreation

MaXair732865 (9:31:57 PM): seriously, i need a really compact layout
TehMike23 (9:32:07 PM):drop, loop, diveloop, zero-g, up into break run, helix..
MaXair732865 (9:32:12 PM): im not going to post this, dont worry
TehMike23 (9:32:15 PM): cockscrew, then station
MaXair732865 (9:32:28 PM): cockscrew? what the hell is that?
MaXair732865 (9:32:44 PM): sexuall? Innuendo much?
MaXair732865 (9:32:55 PM): Dang
TehMike23 (9:33:06 PM): ahahahah

My Top 5 Coasters
1-Maverick
2-Top Thrill Dragster
3-Millenium Force
4-Griffon
5-Apollos Chariot

#13 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

The quality of this build so far is astounding!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

Your tube supports look fantastic! They look like they would be really strong, and if they're like your Spiral Lift coaster's supports, they'll be rock solid. I can't wait to see that test video soon!

#15 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Gump approves!  (thumbsup)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#16 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Very gump-ish indeed.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#17 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

I think there should be more banking on the turn like at least 105 degrees or so look at some more pics to help u out and can we see a test video too!

#18 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:27 PM

Oh man! This is great! I haven't seen you on here before, so I'd like to say welcome!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#19 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. 

Second attempt for the update ( internet died just as I'd finished the first :/ ) 

I think the turnaround looks amazing, thought there are some things I noticed:

1. There is a sharp spot in the valley right before the train starts the first element.
2. The tubes look really bent in some places and I think that could be an easy fix.
3. The sharp spot on the drop could be adjusted too.

I love the element and I'm surprised it looks this good. Nice job so far.

Thanks. I think I've fixed some of the bending tubes. But the straight spot in the valley is there on the real one, so I've left it in. 

Looks pretty awesome!  Since Mako hasn't opened yet, maybe you could consider it a pre-creation instead of a recreation?   :)

Maybe you could do something with several large throw rugs or tarp to cover up the colorful carpet and make the track/supports stand out more?

Thanks. Maybe, but I reckon it'll open before I finish mine. I've thought about doing that for some of my coasters in the past, but looking at this one now it won't fit in this room. I'll have to get it outside. 

My jaw kinda dropped the first time I saw that overbank. I guess it could be a little smoother heading into it but I know that Mako does have that funny straight spot after the first drop so it won't take much to get that sorted. Great work so far.

Cheers. I've smoothed it out a bit, but yeah, the ugly straight spot it staying. 

Wow looks great to me!

Thanks!

The quality of this build so far is astounding!

Thanks!

Your tube supports look fantastic! They look like they would be really strong, and if they're like your Spiral Lift coaster's supports, they'll be rock solid. I can't wait to see that test video soon!

Thanks, its looking pretty sturdy at the moment but I'll have to beef up the supports on the camelback. 

Gump approves!  (thumbsup)

Ace, Thanks!

I think there should be more banking on the turn like at least 105 degrees or so look at some more pics to help u out and can we see a test video too!

Yeah, I agree I should have put a bit more banking on it, I've tweaked it a little but I didn't want to ruin what I already had. I think it still looks pretty good nonetheless. 

Oh man! This is great! I haven't seen you on here before, so I'd like to say welcome!

Thanks!

Not too much to show you on this update. I've almost finished the first camelback, but I've run out of space so I'll have to build it in sections from now on and get it outside for final assembly. I've already smoothed out a couple of the bumps you can see in the pictures below, and I'll add some lateral supports to the camelbacks. Hopefully if I've saved enough speed, there will be another hill running along side this one to strengthen the structure. If not then I have a couple of ideas for a custom layout, but I'm still hopeful. 

IMG_2536_zpsdzg5jwyj.jpg

IMG_2534_zpsuoj7ow6m.jpg

IMG_2514_zps2e0dseyf.jpg

IMG_2526_zpsue5ioanh.jpg

Test Video  :D

https://www.youtube....h?v=AoaLZVe9sPc

#20 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

Wow, the pacing and shaping are spot on.  Great job with this!  Is the layout going to fit? Looks like it's just barely fitting past that wall.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11