Mako Recreation

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

Wonderful speed and pacing. I think you'll have just enough speed to finish the layout, and even if you don't, you can put a motorized chain drive on the MCBR. A custom layout would be all right, but I'd really love to see this as a completed recreation!

Edited by ~stεεlspectrum~, 01 April 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#22 Dragunov!

Dragunov!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

This looks good! You, sir, have permission to continue!

Really Crummy Contraptions designed by Apes

IMG_5782-300x200.jpg

#23 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

Stunning my man! For some reason the first turn still doesn't look right. Take a look at this picture

http://www.inparkmag...32795526175.jpg

The banking is over 90 degrees. probably closer to 100 or 110 degrees. You have the turn more like Fury 325's turn, where it banks at 90 degrees and turns left. Mako's turn is quite different, as you can see in the picture if you zoom in on it. If you choose not to fix it that's fine and would still make a great recreation.

Edited by Cartracer55D, 01 April 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#24 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

I miss seeing projects like these every day. This is stunning.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#25 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

I really love the look of this. Can't think of much to be improved because it looks so good.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#26 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

Wow, the pacing and shaping are spot on.  Great job with this!  Is the layout going to fit? Looks like it's just barely fitting past that wall.

Thanks! and probably not, but hopefully I can get it outside safely and find somewhere flat enough to set it up. 

Wonderful speed and pacing. I think you'll have just enough speed to finish the layout, and even if you don't, you can put a motorized chain drive on the MCBR. A custom layout would be all right, but I'd really love to see this as a completed recreation!

Thanks! Yeah speed is looking good (I've actually made it to MCBR and it doesn't need much help at all clearing that - but you'll have to wait until the next update for that), pretty sure I can finish this as a recreation if I can get it outside. 

This looks good! You, sir, have permission to continue!

Thanks!

Stunning my man! For some reason the first turn still doesn't look right. Take a look at this picture

http://www.inparkmag...32795526175.jpg

The banking is over 90 degrees. probably closer to 100 or 110 degrees. You have the turn more like Fury 325's turn, where it banks at 90 degrees and turns left. Mako's turn is quite different, as you can see in the picture if you zoom in on it. If you choose not to fix it that's fine and would still make a great recreation.

Thanks! I only think its the banking that's a bit off, other than that its shaped much more closely to Mako, but I see your point. I'm tempted to go back and redo it but don't want to mess up the shaping or lose the speed I've managed to retain. 

I miss seeing projects like these every day. This is stunning.

Yeah. It's a shame its not as popular as it was a few years ago, it is a fantastic if peculiar hobby. Thanks. 

I really love the look of this. Can't think of much to be improved because it looks so good.

Cheers!

Finished the overbank and the next hill. The overbank was tricky and I had to slightly compromise between accurate shaping and maintaining enough speed to clear the next hill. I couldn't get some of the corners as tight or banked as I would have liked but its turned out alright nonetheless, even if not exactly like Mako's overbank...but close. Speed is looking good to make the MCBR. 

IMG_2550_zpsr8xjmpfc.jpg

IMG_2567_zpska6txxwc.jpg

IMG_2598_zpsvqqnhutk.jpg

IMG_2593_zps7c4nk65y.jpg

IMG_2570_zpsaatyopse.jpg

And I like these two shots:

IMG_2610_zpsyhy7rxxn.jpg

IMG_2615_zps6tc2qrmw.jpg

Test 2 - https://www.youtube....h?v=5A_frdHtiFQ :D

#27 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

Stop making this look so easy and clean haha. Little bit of shaking here and there but otherwise pretty much perfect to me.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#28 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

^In addition to what he said, the pacing is brilliant. It looks great both in photos and in motion.

#29 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

Absolutely love this so far. My only complaint is that the entrance to the turn should be more emphasised and curved, it's rather straight now.

You're really doing this coaster justice!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#30 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Beautiful, beautiful shaping. I like to see that your transitions from flexi rods to gray rods don't have any bumps! That always takes me so long to get it right. Also, see how your lateral supports are bent on the overbank? I try to use the lateral supports in tension (like tent anchors) to minimize shaking. Or maybe it just needs another lateral.

EDIT: Also I love the pacing.

#31 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:31 AM

Stop making this look so easy and clean haha. Little bit of shaking here and there but otherwise pretty much perfect to me.

Sorry :P Thanks, yeah I'll probably go back over the overbank and try to stop the shaking. 

^In addition to what he said, the pacing is brilliant. It looks great both in photos and in motion.

Thanks!

Absolutely love this so far. My only complaint is that the entrance to the turn should be more emphasised and curved, it's rather straight now.

You're really doing this coaster justice!

Thanks! Yeah, I tried to make the entrance more sharply curved but it killed my speed. :/ 

Beautiful, beautiful shaping. I like to see that your transitions from flexi rods to gray rods don't have any bumps! That always takes me so long to get it right. Also, see how your lateral supports are bent on the overbank? I try to use the lateral supports in tension (like tent anchors) to minimize shaking. Or maybe it just needs another lateral.

EDIT: Also I love the pacing.

Thanks! Don't worry it takes me ages too. Yeah I've been trying to do that but I'll probably change the supports on the overbank a bit to help stop the shaking. 

Not too much to show you on this update. 

IMG_2634_zpspnhscb0a.jpg

Test Video 3: https://www.youtube....h?v=kS8uhoXUaDs   :D

Reached the MCBR with decent speed, frustratingly I've run out of grey rods and brown ladders, so I couldn't do anymore building this Easter. And unfortunately I'm back to uni on Monday and don't finish till early July, so updates will be few and far between for the next couple of months, I'll try to make some progress on the odd weekends I'm at home. And hopefully I'll be able to get it all set up outside in July sometime. 

#32 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

Well at least you got to a good place to stop. The speed loss is really good. I guess you managed to find the right balance for the length of the train and the supports. Great job.

Tyndrum

#33 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

Trackwork Complete!  :D Managed to get home for the bank holiday weekend and have finished the track and got the lift working. Just need to build a nice station and some catwalks, lets hope I can get it outside without it disintegrating :P

FILE0022_zpsyw6fppta.jpg

FILE0026_zpsulnlidnw.jpg

FILE0009_zpsogyrxxd0.jpg

FILE0013_zpssj7gxpae.jpg

FILE0030_zpsqipwtzyd.jpg

FILE0028_zpsymufpjxx.jpg

Test Video :Dhttps://www.youtube....h?v=mKhMSrsOKwY

#34 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Awesome. This is one of the best re-creations I've seen in a while. Hopefully the British weather will be as kind to you as it has been for me in the past (it's not been too awful but at least most of e time when I wanted to put stuff up it obliged, aside from a period when building Gargantuan).

Tyndrum

#35 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

Man, this is just simply amazing! You built this so quickly. The shaping is flawless and everything is so clean. Great job. Can't wait for the final video!

Edited by knex.koasters, 01 May 2016 - 10:06 PM.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#36 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

Wow that was fast! This looks awesome, you definitely kept the elements at a good scale even at the end of the layout. And good luck taking it outside - try not to destroy it please :)

#37 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

I didn't know this was under construction. You did such a good job, the pacing through the elements is great and the shaping looks good to me as well. Good luck taking it outside and indeed make sure you don't break it haha :).

Posted Image

#38 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

I remember when I had to take my giga coaster outside all the time for testing :P

So cool to see you building this :) Since I'm not so active I didn't know you very well.

But I went through your video's and they look awesome

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#39 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

Everything looks really good, especially for that last part! And you built this pretty quickly too. 

#40 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

For the relatively short amount of time you have made this in, the shaping is still superlative. This is what impresses me most. In conclusion, the 3rd picture from the top is my personal favorite. This is the quality of knex coasters I see in my dreams. :) *sniff* it's just so beautiful! 

Edited by SCM, 05 May 2016 - 06:52 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master