• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hey Guys

It's been a long while since I've done something with K'nex since school was so busy, but finally I'm finished with school so I came up with some ideas, inspired from real coaster projects. I want to build a coaster with a flying forwards and backwards launch with a switch track, kinda like the new Intamin Coasters coming to Parc Asterix and Busch Gardens Williamsburg. From there comes the name of this project: (Project) Madrid + Asterix = Matrix

Right now I've made the first part of the switch in the launch section. The cart is already moving over it, but bumps a bit at the other tracks. Luckily the speed reduction is just a little, but I will try to make it fit even better. The switch itself will be able to flip 90 degrees around to switch the tracks.
This is how it looks right now:

Attached File  IMG_7457.JPG   136.2KB   0 downloads
Full view

Attached File  IMG_7459.JPG   120.13KB   0 downloads
The switch is set to straight.

Attached File  IMG_7460.JPG   117.67KB   0 downloads
The switch is set to curve, but the curved track isn't in place yet.

About the launch mechanism I still ned to think and test a little, I'm thinking of either try to make an LSM-kind-of launch or to try something with the boosters.

As of the rest of the layout I will be doing a custom one.

I know this project maybe won't work out, but I want to experiment a little :D

What do you think of it?

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 12 February 2019 - 05:35 PM.

Count: 211 (192 Steel & 19 Wood) 37 Parks

YouTube: www.youtube.com/k1ngdaka88

Disclaimer: Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from Switzerland!

#2 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

I've continued with the switch and it is almost finished and working. But I think I need to replace the curved track of the switch because I've cut off too much and there's now a big gap where the car often gets stuck. Despite of this it works.

Here are 2 photos and a short video:

Attached File  IMG_7489.JPG   114.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7490.JPG   132.94KB   0 downloads

Video: https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk

Now the next big step is the launch mechanism, but for this I still need to do some testing. I've made some first tests with a 4,5V battery and a coil for an LSM-kind of launch, but either the battery is way to weak or I made not enough loops in the coil, because there is like almost none magnetic reaction coming.

I'll let you know of the testing when I find time to continue.

Edited by K1ngdaKa88, 24 February 2019 - 06:26 PM.

#3 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:34 PM

Not much to comment about. But what you've done so far looks good! Curious to see what the launch will like like and preform like!

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:30 PM

I think I can help here. The blue rods are slowing the car down. You can hear the car coming into contact with them if you set the video speed to 0.25. 

Edit: v True. 

Edited by SCM, 18 March 2019 - 07:22 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:08 AM

I think I can help here. The blue rods are slowing the car down. You can hear the car coming into contact with them if you set the video speed to 0.25. 

Could also be the small gap between the track pieces.

#6 K1ngdaKa88

K1ngdaKa88

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

After a while an update.
Yes it was the gap where the car bumped in and got slowed down.
I’ve now changed several parts of the switch and now it kinda works, but it’s fail rate is too much (1 out of 5 attempts are successful). But when it works, the car rolls over it smoothly.
Here I have a short video: https://twitter.com/...0889135105?s=21

I have now built the twisted spike at one end of the launch track.

Attached File  512EB44A-AF16-47EF-BC92-987B9A776D44.jpeg   153.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2AB97EA0-1A58-4461-A9FC-6DEEC3CEBA3D.jpeg   118.17KB   0 downloads
(Note: the blue track is just temporary for testing)

As for the launch mechanism I won’t be doing an LSM, because after some testing I realized that I would need way too much coil and current to have a strong enough launch. But I had an alternative in mind to use the boosters. Since they only spin in one direction, I got them to spin in both directions by switching the poles of the batteries. I now need to get a way to switch this quickly, either manually or triggered by the train.

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

You seem to be figuring out things quite nicely as you go along which is cool. That switch track falling into place is fun and seems to work quite nicely. I feel like that idea could be used for some completely off-the-wall ball machine style ride which could be entertaining too.

• K1ngdaKa88 likes this

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: micro, switchtrack, multilaunch