the super duper looper

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:36 PM

Thanks guys! I have more than half of the Immelmann done but the train is not clearing. Very close though! I am going to beef up support and clean my train again. Worst case scenario I need to just lower the immelmann by about 1 in. That will put it at ~ 18" tall. Should be enough to circle back in after a helix. next Update this weekend.

Attached Files

#22 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I'm really hoping you can beef up the supports enough! The layout is simple but I love it!

#23 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:18 AM

Well after a long weekend and a lot of other stuff going on I finally got to work on the coaster again. I have finished the Immelmann and it's running great. I like the pace and speed so far. The Immelmann is a bit small, but I should have enough speed left to complete the Helix and the circle back.

Test video link is embedded. What do you guys think?

-Steelwheels33

Attached Files

#24 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:32 AM

nice!!

#25 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

cool

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#26 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:13 AM

It looks great, a shame the speed loss is so large!

Have you tried cleaning and lubing your trains?

#27 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

It looks great, a shame the speed loss is so large!

Have you tried cleaning and lubing your trains?

I took them completely apart and cleaned everything put them back together and then lubed them with silicone spray.I even posted a tutorial on how to take the cars apart put them together and clean them in the building help forum.

when I built Lengua del Diablo back in 2010 I had to experiment with several different cars till I found the right combo of good working cars. I am not sure if it's something I am doing wrong but I really don't feel like taking all the trains apart again to clean them.

What do you think should I try taking them apart and cleaning them again?

#28 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:15 AM

I took them completely apart and cleaned everything put them back together and then lubed them with silicone spray.I even posted a tutorial on how to take the cars apart put them together and clean them in the building help forum.

when I built Lengua del Diablo back in 2010 I had to experiment with several different cars till I found the right combo of good working cars. I am not sure if it's something I am doing wrong but I really don't feel like taking all the trains apart again to clean them.

What do you think should I try taking them apart and cleaning them again?

I think the layout is good, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

#29 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:03 PM

The pacing and layout are good as it is, so I don't think it's necessary to take apart the cars and clean them again.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#30 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:20 AM

^I agree. Latest update:

Attached Files

Edited by Steelwheels33, 04 June 2020 - 01:22 AM.

#31 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:39 AM

Everything is very smooth! Though it looks kind of odd to have such a disproportionally large turn coming out of a small immelmann, but I also don't know what else would make sense there to wrap the track around and get it back to the station. I love the final turn though!

39751.png

#32 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:04 PM

Here we go guys with another update! Last weekend I worked on the final s curve and the helix. Got a nice little head chopper out of the deal too! Actually this coaster has a couple of close calls in the ride which I think adds to the excitement of the layout. It should be finished this weekend, I just had to wait for my final shipment of tubing. Test video attached.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files

#33 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:52 AM

The final helix looks really nice, and pacing is pretty good!

39751.png

#34 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:14 AM

This is really good! Very nice pacing and a very smooth twisty layout that works really well. I really love the flow through the final turns/helix and it give the perfect speed to roll up into the station!

#35 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

One of my final updates. The train consistently makes it but funny enough as it is...not in the final shot of the test video! Final video coming soon.

Pics are of my favorite supports.

Attached Files

#36 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:46 AM

Hahaha, that's typical!

Honestly this ride turned out gorgeous - do you have any plans for themeing?

#37 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

Thank you Britfag!

I have a desire to theme this coaster but not really enough pieces to be able to do it. I didn't really set it up for theming to begin with. much respect to those coasters that have excellent theming cuz it really adds to the beauty of the ride. I think I might try to emulate a small station and possibly a cat walk along the lift.

But I am really excited that I have a good base of parts again now that I can build off of.

#38 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

Hello again fellow Knex builders!

Well finally I managed to finish the final video for this ride!! I did not add any theming, or station, brake runs, etc, but my original plan was to keep this build simple.  Really it was just to get into the flow of building again. I will either add a station and catwalk later or I will just build something new that will be more detailed.

As far as the video goes, I love the way it came out but unfortunately, due to copyright laws on the Foo Fighters song I chose as my video track, I cannot make my video public.  So I hope the link below works. It said on Youtube that only those with the link can watch, so I don't see an issue.  But let me know if it does not work. There is also a glitch toward the end that I can imagine is due from using a cheap free version of Powerdirector, or just that my internet upload speed is horrible.

So a bit of background on this ride (you can see this on the Youtube comments as well).  This is my my 4th Knex coaster model, and my 2nd K'Nex SS custom looper.

The name for this ride was inspired by 2 things: First, the older Looper at Hershey Park, PA, which was a Schwarzkopf ride built in 1977. They call theirs the "Sooper Dooper Looper". Second, this ride is dedicated to my father, who used to call the Black Widow coaster at Riverside Park in Agawam, MA (now known as Six flags New England) the "super duper looper".

The ride layout is inspired by a whole bunch of different roller coasters that I have seen or ridden. It's kind of a cross between a Schwarzkopf, a B&M, and an Intamin AG. The loop is more Schwarzkopf shaped as opposed to the Arrow or B&M teardrop-shaped loops. The first drop, overbank turns, head choppers and low-to-the-ground elements mimic an Intamin ride. The Immelmann is shaped after a B&M. I am happy that at the end of the day, the layout is really close to the original layout I sketched at the beginning photos of this post.

So.....without further adieu:   

I hope you enjoy the video! Thank you all for your feedback as it helped make this a better ride. Please check out my other videos under my old SSCoasters account, Chaindogg33, and my previous Youtube channel - jft333isgod. My previous channel has some really good coasterdynamix models, as well as the Infamous Lengua Del Diablo.

Stay safe!

-Steelwheels

#39 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:11 PM

No comments on the video? Damn guys I want your feedback...is it too long? I filmed it with a cell phone.do you think I need to invest in a tripod?

#40 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:56 AM

no maybe just upgrade your phone tbh, i upgraded to a samgung a71 the other day and i have to say the video and picture quality is absolute insane!!! and its only costing me £35 a month $40-45 i think, its got wide angle, macro, photo and veido lenses on the back so 4 different dedicated cameras and i gotta say the wide angle 3,840x2,160 60 fps with the anti shake mode on makes for some real super smooth crisp shots, ill be using it for my next coaster. in most of my test clips i couldnt even tell i was holding the camera lol, and the a series are the slghtly cheaper series of phones, if you get the upper one like the s20 i think that might do 4k 120 fps or even 8k video now its crazy