37 replies to this topic

#1 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

Hi guys,

My first actual forum post here so if this should be in "Amusement rides & other construction" I'll be happy to know.

Anyways, the SS K'nex coaster system is totally amazing. For building model coasters at a decent scale I really don't know of anything better. It's super flexible, relatively cheap on second hand websites and with some creativity you can create very realistic looking supports and track shapes. I recently built Ascension and I am super happy with some of the element shapes and support structure in that coaster.

But there is one thing that always bugged me, the trains.

They are ugly, too orange and really not to scale if you compare them to the track itself. They also lose speed too fast due to the cheap plastic wheels without any bearings. 

So, since I am now temporarily living in a place where I don't have space for a big model, I'd figure it would be nice to try build a train that's actually decent. Inspired by Johny's bearing axles and his amazing Magnum XL300 train (OMG that thing is gorgeous), I've ordered some 3d printed frame parts, but I want to build the meat of the train up with K'nex, since I think I'll really like the way that will look, and it would be easily customisable.

The past days I've built some seat prototypes, so far I'm really liking how this is shaping up so I thought it would be nice to share them and start a topic for the train itself, here they are :D. At this point the middle version has my preference. 

I expect to start work on assembling the running carriage and figuring out how to mount the seats after this weekend, but no promises on updates here, I'll only do so if I'm happy with what I can show and I am fully expecting some iterations on the 3D printed parts. And who knows, maybe the entire idea fails and you won't hear a thing about it in the future ;). I definitely have some concerns on the weight of it all amongst others.

Have a good one and happy building.

b0oQ3Hp.jpg

HB5zm5u.jpg

#2 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

looking forward to see more details. Always hyped when there is a custom train :3

#3 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

Hi guys,

My first actual forum post here so if this should be in "Amusement rides & other construction" I'll be happy to know.

Anyways, the SS K'nex coaster system is totally amazing. For building model coasters at a decent scale I really don't know of anything better. It's super flexible, relatively cheap on second hand websites and with some creativity you can create very realistic looking supports and track shapes. I recently built Ascension and I am super happy with some of the element shapes and support structure in that coaster.

They are ugly, too orange and really not to scale if you compare them to the track itself. They also lose speed too fast due to the cheap plastic wheels without any bearings. 

So, since I am now temporarily living in a place where I don't have space for a big model, I'd figure it would be nice to try build a train that's actually decent. Inspired by Johny's bearing axles and his amazing Magnum XL300 train (OMG that thing is gorgeous), I've ordered some 3d printed frame parts, but I want to build the meat of the train up with K'nex, since I think I'll really like the way that will look, and it would be easily customisable.

The past days I've built some seat prototypes, so far I'm really liking how this is shaping up so I thought it would be nice to share them and start a topic for the train itself, here they are :D. At this point the middle version has my preference. 

I expect to start work on assembling the running carriage and figuring out how to mount the seats after this weekend, but no promises on updates here, I'll only do so if I'm happy with what I can show and I am fully expecting some iterations on the 3D printed parts. And who knows, maybe the entire idea fails and you won't hear a thing about it in the future ;). I definitely have some concerns on the weight of it all amongst others.

firstly, welcome to the community, secondly, i'm working on some new bearing hubs, i could make it possible to slot a couple of micro rods in there so you can do custom trains aswell

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#4 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 04:53 PM

firstly, welcome to the community, secondly, i'm working on some new bearing hubs, i could make it possible to slot a couple of micro rods in there so you can do custom trains aswell

Hi! Thanks :).

That sounds great! If you finish them feel free to share the files and images. However, I already made prototype bearing hubs and frames and assembled the lead car just before I left for the weekend. I wanna test seat mounting positions on the cars I have, probably with drilling some holes and glue, but my end goal is to redesign the 3D printed parts and make it all integrate really nicely (hopefully, possibly).

Are you making new hubs for mounting on the SS train or with a fully custom frame?

I'm also kinda playing with the idea of making a car with proper rollercoaster kinematics, but that's something for version 3, if at all :P. I first wanna make the prototype functioning in the next weeks.

Edited by Alabastine, 15 March 2021 - 04:55 PM.

#5 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 09:25 AM

Botch job in progress, hoping it won't get messed up :P

9a6i9U4.jpg

Edited by Alabastine, 18 March 2021 - 09:31 AM.

#6 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

Sooo, I finished the third car yesterday evening. Since I don't have enough micro K'nex and bearings to build the fourth car right now (already had to use yellow 3-way instead of grey 4-way on the last car), I thought the current state is worth sharing.

Please keep in mind that this is just a prototype, there are many things I've already discovered that I want to change on the next iteration, just to name something the clearence between the front row of one car and the back row of the next is too small, but there are many other things I want to improve.

Nontheless, for a first prototype, I am really happy with the result, feel free to let me know what you think. They roll really smooth, but I don't really have a track to test them. That's probably next on my to do list. 

I included a few images and an album below, I kind of abused this opportunity to test my new camera lens haha, so if you want to see more click the album ;).

20210322140224 IMG 3051
20210322134056 IMG 3025
20210322135846 IMG 3049

#7 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:38 PM

I definitely like the looks of this! But I do have to ask: are the trains themselves fragile? Can they withstand running into an X-tie or being grabbed, or does the train need to be avoided until it's no longer moving? 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#8 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:43 AM

They look great - my only thought is perhaps reduce the gap between the upstops and the main wheels? Just to avoid any momentum being lost in the transfer to upside down :)

#9 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

I definitely like the looks of this! But I do have to ask: are the trains themselves fragile? Can they withstand running into an X-tie or being grabbed, or does the train need to be avoided until it's no longer moving?

They look great - my only thought is perhaps reduce the gap between the upstops and the main wheels? Just to avoid any momentum being lost in the transfer to upside down :)

Thanks to both of you!
So testing runs is not really something I thought too much about yet haha. The 3d printed frame is pretty solid, I don't think it's much more fragile than the SS original train and it will probably survive a run into a crosstie with moderate speed. But the chairs are quite fragile, I used a bit of an 'illegal' building technique for the back rests, so they have a bit of preload in them and can come off with some ease. I can definitely handle the train with confidence, but grabbing it at speed is not something I think is gonna work. The mount to the frame will be stronger on the next version though.

Also the cars are about 2x the weight of stock SS ones, the front car with zero car is twice the weight of the stock one, exact to the gram. So that will complicate collisions (and supports lol :/).

Yes the gap between the main wheels and upstops is one of the things I want to improve on. Right here the clearence is already less than on the SS train, but we can quite clearly see it can be a bit smaller still. It would probably make the ride less shakey as well.

Edited by Alabastine, 23 March 2021 - 01:41 PM.

#10 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:06 AM

Sooo, I finished the third car yesterday evening. Since I don't have enough micro K'nex and bearings to build the fourth car right now (already had to use yellow 3-way instead of grey 4-way on the last car), I thought the current state is worth sharing.

Please keep in mind that this is just a prototype, there are many things I've already discovered that I want to change on the next iteration, just to name something the clearence between the front row of one car and the back row of the next is too small, but there are many other things I want to improve.

Nontheless, for a first prototype, I am really happy with the result, feel free to let me know what you think. They roll really smooth, but I don't really have a track to test them. That's probably next on my to do list. 

I included a few images and an album below, I kind of abused this opportunity to test my new camera lens haha, so if you want to see more click the album ;).

would it be alright with you if i steal this design for helix, and maybe use it in the (possible) marketing for the new train, credit will be provided ofc lol

#11 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:32 AM

would it be alright with you if i steal this design for helix, and maybe use it in the (possible) marketing for the new train, credit will be provided ofc lol

Soooo here's the deal: 
I do want to make the design available for everyone to use (with STL files available and stuff), maybe for a small (maybe voluntary) contribution, maybe completely free I need to think about that, BUT not now.

This is just a prototype, I am not happy with some of the dimensions, the assembly process and the looks of the frame.

As of now I am building a "small" coaster to test the train that I have on. Then I want to improve the design and make a video of the coaster, mainly to show of the trains. Since it's my design I'd want this to be the first video of this train design and with the release of this video I'll probably also upload the files somewhere.
Since I want this coaster to look good and I need to wait for some new bearings from China I estimate this will take me somewhere between 2 and 4 months.

In the meantime I can't stop anyone from copying what they see on the photo's and making something themselves, but I would really appreciate it if you didn't :)

So I don't know what your timeplan is for Helix, but yeah no problem if you allow me to finish it first and crediting/linking me would be super appreciated :D

About marketing though, I really don't fully understand what you mean by that but I don't like the idea of using these trains/pictures as marketing material for something else, if that is what you mean.

#12 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:49 PM

Soooo here's the deal: 
I do want to make the design available for everyone to use (with STL files available and stuff), maybe for a small (maybe voluntary) contribution, maybe completely free I need to think about that, BUT not now.

This is just a prototype, I am not happy with some of the dimensions, the assembly process and the looks of the frame.

As of now I am building a "small" coaster to test the train that I have on. Then I want to improve the design and make a video of the coaster, mainly to show of the trains. Since it's my design I'd want this to be the first video of this train design and with the release of this video I'll probably also upload the files somewhere.
Since I want this coaster to look good and I need to wait for some new bearings from China I estimate this will take me somewhere between 2 and 4 months.

In the meantime I can't stop anyone from copying what they see on the photo's and making something themselves, but I would really appreciate it if you didn't :)

So I don't know what your timeplan is for Helix, but yeah no problem if you allow me to finish it first and crediting/linking me would be super appreciated :D

About marketing though, I really don't fully understand what you mean by that but I don't like the idea of using these trains/pictures as marketing material for something else, if that is what you mean.

kk-, i'll be done with helix in about a year, and by the marketing i meant using your trains to showcaste the modularity of the trans but i can try designing my own if you aren't okay w/ me using them, thanks-

#13 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:32 AM

I finished the first drop yesterday, it's about a 1,1 meter drop (drop, not total height) and I won't risk running it directly into an X-tie that is locked from sliding, but I run the train into pillows at the end of the drop and it's perfectly fine. Sometimes the seats pop off but I want to improve the mount anyway and they're easily popped back on. I know it's not the highest drop, but with some care and preparations I can see test runs from bigger heights working quite alright.

• frank and CrayCray for coasters like this

#14 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:02 PM

Hi guys,

b0oQ3Hp.jpg

HB5zm5u.jpg

Can I pls use these for the seats of my pantheon trains-? Oh, I'm gonna machine some aluminium hubs for pantheon bc i cab to use a 3d printer right now, not precise enough I'll release the individual stl files when I have tested them, I have only one done rn bc blojo bojo made my makerspace close but I should be able to finish the rest of the train soon

#15 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:05 AM

Can I pls use these for the seats of my pantheon trains-? Oh, I'm gonna machine some aluminium hubs for pantheon bc i cab to use a 3d printer right now, not precise enough I'll release the individual stl files when I have tested them, I have only one done rn bc blojo bojo made my makerspace close but I should be able to finish the rest of the train soon

Yeah go ahead, project has been dorment on my side for a while. Keep in mind after my first tests I found the seats are very top-heavy. So the train would vibrate strongly and flex the entire track in torsional direction. So you may need to build super rigid track, I'm gonna try to make them lighter.

And CNCing hubs for your knex coaster is really awesome! But are you sure it's necessary? Could be expensive. I find 3d printed parts are quite alright for precision, the K'nex track itself already has terrible tolerances and stiffness anyway.
Good luck!

#16 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:43 AM

Yeah go ahead, project has been dorment on my side for a while. Keep in mind after my first tests I found the seats are very top-heavy. So the train would vibrate strongly and flex the entire track in torsional direction. So you may need to build super rigid track, I'm gonna try to make them lighter.

And CNCing hubs for your knex coaster is really awesome! But are you sure it's necessary? Could be expensive. I find 3d printed parts are quite alright for precision, the K'nex track itself already has terrible tolerances and stiffness anyway.
Good luck!

Thanks, I prefer to have my trains be bottom heavy hence me machining them, also gonna try to make some spaces for tungsten powder to go in but I still need to buy pieces for the trains and the bearings too

#17 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, I prefer to have my trains be bottom heavy hence me machining them, also gonna try to make some spaces for tungsten powder to go in but I still need to buy pieces for the trains and the bearings too

Tbh I think heavier is worse most of the times. You lose energy due to the track flexing. And if you up the weight the normal force on the wheels and therefore the friction also increases just as much. Granted the friction in wheels and bearings is never a perfect linear model, but in the ideal world adding weight only helps you with regards to air drag, which is tiny at these low speeds. I have done it in the past and I really never found it to help me at all.

And yes I would also like my trains far more bottom heavy, but personally I would not try to achieve that by adding even more weight (those trains I made are already a lot heavier than I would really like, hence why they flex the track so much and that's why I'm gonna try to make the seats lighter).

But still, I'd love to see some machined Aluminium wheel hubs with double wheels :D. That would be completely awesome! But I just want to warn you, I really have my doubts if it's necessary or performing as well as the wheel hubs Johny made for example. And it seems like an expensive and very complicated project to get right, especially if you start outright with these goals without earlier prototypes etc.

Good luck and prove me wrong I guess! ;)

#18 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 07:37 PM

Hey people,

After quite a long while I've started continuing this project at last. Sadly I don’t have any updates on the trains yet, other than that I’ve taken half the seats off because this is way easier on the track.
I do however have some work done on the coaster I want to test this train and future versions on. I kinda like where this is going, so I took some pictures. It’s literally in the middle of the night right here so lighting is not optimal but they’re sharp enough.

IMG 4914

IMG 4917
IMG 4926
IMG 4933
IMG 4930

Edited by Alabastine, 23 August 2021 - 08:27 PM.

• SCM likes this

#19 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:00 PM

That is one sharp twist on the first drop. Is the speed hill leaning on purpose? It looks cool, but it's going to cost you a lot of speed I think. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#20 Alabastine

Alabastine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 06:16 AM

It'll sure lose speed but I'll see how I can get the most out of it, I just want this layout. Banking is definitely on purpose, the hill has a slight curve and bank for XtReme AirTimE.
Yes the twist is a bit inspired on Expedition Geforce, that's, compared to the height, not less sharp I think, but I want to see if I can improve the shape a bit at a later stage, it's good but could be better.
It should be an intense ride though, I like Intamin/RMC intensity :D.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: train