The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#43221 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

I started by watching the Flash first, then Arrow. I actually wished I watched them in reverse order because Arrow is what really sets up Barry's character. Though his background isn't really talked about or explained, Arrow does do a good job explaining more of how the two shows are intertwined than Flash. It also makes sense, since Flash is like the asexual twin (or "spinoff") of Arrow.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 23 April 2016 - 07:06 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#43222 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

So in 1 month, I will be fully graduated with diploma in hand. :) I'm pretty excited about that, I'm also studying for my drivers permit, does anyone have any advice or funny stories about taking the permit test? I'm pretty nervous about it, I really am. But I always do well on tests, so we will see what happens.
I haven't done any building in forever, but I'm going to start. I feel like I need to do my part in keeping this site alive. It's been like 3 years since I've finished my first and latest coaster.
Anyways so how is driving for people? I'm scared to learn....

Signature not available 

#43223 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

I think driving isn't so bad once you get used to it. Just get as much practice as you can to get comfortable with everything and it'll become second nature. It's always a little jittery at the start for everyone but in time, it becomes pretty easy. Drive safe :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#43224 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

I started by watching the Flash first, then Arrow. I actually wished I watched them in reverse order because Arrow is what really sets up Barry's character. Though his background isn't really talked about or explained, Arrow does do a good job explaining more of how the two shows are intertwined than Flash. It also makes sense, since Flash is like the asexual twin (or "spinoff") of Arrow.

Yeah, it doesn't matter too much since they keep the shows separate for the most part. That last Flash episode was pretty weird, but I'm sure they'll explain everything away in the first 5 minutes of the next episode like they usually do.

Also, King, I walked around at Tech today. Beautiful and unbelievably clean campus.

#43225 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

I'm studying for my drivers permit, does anyone have any advice or funny stories about taking the permit test? I'm pretty nervous about it, I really am. But I always do well on tests, so we will see what happens.
I haven't done any building in forever, but I'm going to start. I feel like I need to do my part in keeping this site alive. It's been like 3 years since I've finished my first and latest coaster.

I thought the test for my permit would be difficult but it really wasn't. All it was was common sense really. There are online sites where you can practice and not be the legitimate test for your permit / licence.

I believe your in PA? here is the PA version. http://driving-tests...ce-permit-test/

I don't know what to tell you about driving first time and how to handle it because I have raced go karts since I was 9 and have gotten used to driving around other people at fairly high speeds. When I got in a car I just had to get used to much more weight. People tend to make driving seem more complicated than it actually is. Just be aware of everything around you and you'll do fine.

Hope I helped!

#43226 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, it doesn't matter too much since they keep the shows separate for the most part. That last Flash episode was pretty weird, but I'm sure they'll explain everything away in the first 5 minutes of the next episode like they usually do.

Also, King, I walked around at Tech today. Beautiful and unbelievably clean campus.

Cool. We were up there yesterday for the spring football game. I think finals are next week so students were probably uptight lol.

Have you been to the Varsity yet?

#43227 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

I turned auto capitalization on. I feel so alive and grown up! Now. You. Can. Stop. Roasting. Me. Spaghetti.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#43228 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

Cool. We were up there yesterday for the spring football game. I think finals are next week so students were probably uptight lol.

BGT isn't the only one to have a Tech Connection. Both parents graduated. Also, have you tried Chic-Fil-A yet?

I turned auto capitalization on. I feel so alive and grown up! Now. You. Can. Stop. Roasting. Me. Spaghetti.

The roasting never stops. I'm two years younger than you, yet I can actually use proper grammar.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#43229 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

Posts a lot; doesnt have a Daily Activity Participant medal FeelsBadMan

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#43230 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

Haven't been giving them recently since there hasn't been really any participation.

#43231 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

• 890 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

Feelsevenmorebadman

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#43232 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

BGT isn't the only one to have a Tech Connection. Both parents graduated. Also, have you tried Chic-Fil-A yet?

The roasting never stops. I'm two years younger than you, yet I can actually use proper grammar.

My grammar is better than most Americans though.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#43233 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

My grammar is better than most Americans though.

I don't blame Americans, since English is such an annoyingly complicated and random language. But hey at least we don't have noun genders.

#43234 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

• 890 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Spaghetti over here roasting people about grammar yet his title is "Keep Portland weird".... Looks like you're missing a capital "W" buddy. 

Spaghetti:

>Thinks age relates to grammar

>Is editor but doesn't edit anything

There we go roast session end. 

Someone needs to make a roasting thread....

But then someone will eventually take offense to it so probably not a good idea.

Edited by +Timmeh+, 25 April 2016 - 09:37 PM.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#43235 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

I still haven't figured out what the editors are supposed to do. I have the tag but right now it's just meaningless. What is it exactly we are supposed to be editing?

On a completely separate note, fractured my ankle is school on Friday... Didn't feel good. Part of my shoe caught someone else's while I was running and my ankle rolled way to much and I fractured it.

Anyone else have any stupid stories about an injury you/someone you know got?

Edited by Cartracer55D, 25 April 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#43236 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

So in 1 month, I will be fully graduated with diploma in hand. :) I'm pretty excited about that, I'm also studying for my drivers permit, does anyone have any advice or funny stories about taking the permit test? I'm pretty nervous about it, I really am. But I always do well on tests, so we will see what happens.

​If you are in PA like Cartracer55D said, the permit test is a joke (to be completely honest). I'm in southwest PA near but not actually in Philly. The permit test took me about 3 minutes to complete and I only had to answer 16 of the 20 questions when I took the test because I got all 16 correct and therefore couldn't not pass the permit test. I took my permit test three years ago so things may have changed since then, but it was lots of questions about meanings of terms and signs with image examples (i.e a yield sign, a merging lane sign, etc.), all multiple choice, though I can't recall if it was 4 or 5 options per question. If you understand what's on the road and the basic rules, you'll be fine.

Now, when it comes to the actual driving test, I can't tell you much about that besides parallel parking is always first and I have no clue what's on the written portion. I haven't actually taken the license test despite having my permit for three years (yeah, yeah, I still don't have my license - it's a money thing; our insurance will skyrocket and increase by over $500 a month by adding me on). I know that in my area we have two DMV's and ​everyone in my high school knew to avoid one of the two locations because of how hard it was to pass the test at that DMV. If you have multiple DMV's that aren't too far away from you, try seeing if one's better to go to than the other when you eventually take your driving test. And with both of the DMV's in my area, the actual parallel parking test is set up in the nearby parking lot and people practice from dusk till dawn - I'm sure other DMV's are like that and it would be a great place to practice once you get closer to taking the driving test. For the actual permit test, however, it's the same across the state and therefore location has no influence on your chances.

If/when you get your permit, start driving as soon as possible (i.e. right after you walk out of the DMV from getting your permit)! Start slowly and easily in a big parking lot; just get a feel for the car's acceleration sensitivity for both the gas and brake, but also the steering, visibility, and using the mirrors - every car is different, but become comfortable with yours. Once you become comfortable in your car with accelerating smoothly to and from rest and everything else, slowly build experience on small, unpopulated roads, working your way up to highways and interstates. Stick to driving in nice weather until you're really comfortable driving and handling your car; driving in the snow and rain can be very different than driving in sunny days, especially in PA with its many hills and mountains.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 26 April 2016 - 12:14 AM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#43237 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

No, I hadn't heard of the Varsity until you mentioned it. Is it a big deal around here?

Lol, we've got a Chik-Fil-A on campus in CA. I love it. Zaxby's was new for me, but I wasn't a huge fan of it anyway... The real question is, have you tried In'N'Out yet?

#43238 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

No, I hadn't heard of the Varsity until you mentioned it. Is it a big deal around here? Lol, we've got a Chik-Fil-A on campus in CA. I love it. Zaxby's was new for me, but I wasn't a huge fan of it anyway... The real question is, have you tried In'N'Out yet?

Actually... No. Even though I've been to San Diego over spring break. Anyway, If you need any restaurant reccomendations, just ask me.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#43239 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

• 890 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Temps test in Ohio was actually pretty difficult. I did all the online test prep and still managed to miss 5 questions, the final driving school test is easier than the temps test (got my temps and finished driving school in January). I take the driving test in July, doing my in-cars in June.

What i've learned in my 30 hours of driving so far:

- People are dicks

- People dont use their signal

- Please use your signal if you are changing lanes in any way, yes even when you are going up to an intersection and want to get in the left turn lane, use your signal to do so.

- Lookout for motor cycles

- Stay in the right lane on the freeway until you get very very comfortable with the freeway.

- Drive whenever you can 

- Make sure to give a hand gesture when you pull up at a stop sign at the same time as someone

- Don't be afraid to go over the speed limit my 1 or 2 mph, but don't do it around cops because they can pull you over for that. 

- Don't make speeding / going over the speed limit a habit

Lastly, but definitely not least, don't be scared. Be very confident, being nervous in this situation can be fatal. Take your time, and don't worry. :)

Edited by +Timmeh+, 26 April 2016 - 02:17 PM.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#43240 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

...- People are dicks...

That just about sums it up. People always think they have some special privilege because of some stupid reason. Driving in rain isn't much different either. Just be aware of hydroplaning.