The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44941 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Nice to see you again, Stig! I'm just imaging doing the simulator thing, and it's so adorable! Like, Fluttershy squee adorable (multiplied by Flurry Heart). You bring up a great point, too.

"I still think about this place and all the great memories made here anytime 30 Seconds to Mars comes on the radio, or a K'nex coaster pops up in my YouTube recommended videos. It's really great to be able to come back and say hello after all this time." 

I'm sure I'll be saying this one day, too. | The forums are even more inactive than they were a few years ago. There's no longer a chat box, PhotoBucket forces you to pay $400 a year *A YEAR* to have photos on a 3rd party site, BGTKing has a baby, and... yeah. Sadly, much of the active members on here are gone. 

Edit: v Yeah, phooey on this "no 0-3 year olds" "safety" nonsense. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding... wait until he has the common sense to not eat everything.) Edit 2: I'll never understand why Spanish nouns have genders. (Good thing this isn't the YT comment section.) 

Edited by SCM, 18 February 2018 - 02:41 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44942 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

At least there's still some of us around ;) I'm glad you're doing well Stig! Your son could be the youngest KNex coaster builder ever! A protege at roller coaster engineering...the next Alan Schilke. The possibilities are endless.

Will Steel Vengeance be open when you go to CP?

#44943 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

Coming to you live from a break in work, this semester has really kicked in. Got a presentation tomorrow that I have to finalise my part for and then a report for Friday which is mostly done. After that, I have a couple of other projects to be getting on with so when you next hear from me could vary. I still don't know if I'll have time to build anything this year. I'm looking to go back to the same place I went in summer last year because it was quite a nice atmosphere for working and there is potential that I could end up working there after graduating as well. This will inevitably take up all my building availability but it's fine. Exciting times indeed, but it's very quickly becoming all too real. Oh well, got to have a bit of excitement in life.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44944 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

^ Careful, CW5X. I'd hardly call this a SFW site. There's a lot of NSFW pictures of curvy coasters on here. ;) 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44945 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

^ Careful, CW5X. I'd hardly call this a SFW site. There's a lot of NSFW pictures of curvy coasters on here. ;)

Haha. Actually on a break from work at home though. ;)

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44946 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

^ Ah. | I can see my grades falling already. Not sure if I'm just too dumb or just can't bring myself to care enough. 

Edited by SCM, 26 February 2018 - 03:28 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44947 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

Hey guys! It’s been quite a while, I thought I would check in with everyone and see how you all have been doing.
As for me, quite a bit recently changed. About 4 months ago I got a job at a factory making floor tile. I mean it’s not the best job in the world but for $18.50 an hour I won’t complain. Right now I’m saving up for a car, so it’s been really cool to be able to save and put some money away. Things are looking pretty decent as of right now, but that’s pretty much all that’s gone right this year haha. In the last 6 months I’ve buried 3 of my best friends. One was lost to a fatal car crash and the other two committed suicide. It’s been really sucky because after growing up with people for years it’s hard to move on. But such is life.

What made me think of this site was yesterday at work I kind of realized that as you grow up you lose contact of all the people you thought were so important in your life at the time. And it’s kind of odd experiencing it first hand. I never really thought about it until now. It really is a shame, because SSC was very important to me as well, I just haven’t had time to keep up with it or even build anything with K’nex. Hopefully at some point I’ll have time to do something though, that would be pretty cool.

And finally, I’ve been thinking about school. I know I want to do some kind of engineering... but I have NO IDEA how to get started. I don’t even know what I want to do. I just know that I want to do something with my life rather then waste it in a factory. Anybody know how to point me in the right direction?

Signature not available 

#44948 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Good to see you connector!

Have I mentioned yet that BGT Princess is arriving this June?

#44949 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

Good to see you connector!

Have I mentioned yet that BGT Princess is arriving this June?

Holy moly, congratulations!!

I guess the downside is less time for your true family here at SSC ;)

#44950 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Hey guys! It’s been quite a while, I thought I would check in with everyone and see how you all have been doing.
As for me, quite a bit recently changed. About 4 months ago I got a job at a factory making floor tile. I mean it’s not the best job in the world but for $18.50 an hour I won’t complain. Right now I’m saving up for a car, so it’s been really cool to be able to save and put some money away. Things are looking pretty decent as of right now, but that’s pretty much all that’s gone right this year haha. In the last 6 months I’ve buried 3 of my best friends. One was lost to a fatal car crash and the other two committed suicide. It’s been really sucky because after growing up with people for years it’s hard to move on. But such is life.
What made me think of this site was yesterday at work I kind of realized that as you grow up you lose contact of all the people you thought were so important in your life at the time. And it’s kind of odd experiencing it first hand. I never really thought about it until now. It really is a shame, because SSC was very important to me as well, I just haven’t had time to keep up with it or even build anything with K’nex. Hopefully at some point I’ll have time to do something though, that would be pretty cool.
And finally, I’ve been thinking about school. I know I want to do some kind of engineering... but I have NO IDEA how to get started. I don’t even know what I want to do. I just know that I want to do something with my life rather then waste it in a factory. Anybody know how to point me in the right direction?

That's just how life goes, you move on to new things and make new friends. I didn't really realize that until I left all my friends from high school and went to college and made all new friends there.

As for engineering, if you're good at building with K'Nex then there's a high chance you'll be good at engineering. It takes common sense with understanding how things work and a lot of math. Try to get your toes wet in any way you can - join a robotics club, work on your car, build a PC, etc. See what part of engineering you enjoy, because there's a lot of different types of engineering. I chose mechanical because that's what I enjoy most, but other people enjoy structures or electronics or airplanes or rockets. And talk to people who have jobs and find out what they do!

#44951 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

Saw that LEGO sales dropped last year for the first time since the early 2000's. Perhaps toys will become cheaper again?

• IvanReese likes this

#44952 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

(Edited because I didn't want to interrupt.) I'm not saying anything. I'm not saying I'm working on a coaster. There is absolutely no dueling invert I'm working on. I have not made plans for the pathway to go inside of the loops like in those RCT games. I will definitely not be posting a Quick Pic... and this will definitely WILL be my last coaster, of which I shall call: Finale. 

Edited by SCM, 15 March 2018 - 07:31 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44953 IvanReese

IvanReese

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

Saw that LEGO sales dropped last year for the first time since the early 2000's. Perhaps toys will become cheaper again?

Hopefully.  ;)

#44954 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Holy crap I haven't been here in forever. Glad to see the site is still active, I'll have to stop by more often! 

#44955 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

How have you been?

#44956 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

I started watching Pokemon XY again... because why the hell not? Anyway, I'll put this in a box... because spoilers. 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, and that earlier episode where Bonnie asked Meowth how he learned to talk... I've seen that episode before. 'Go West Young Meowth' I believe it was. It had me bawling every time. 

Edited by SCM, 21 March 2018 - 09:10 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44957 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Third Quarter ends for me this week. Finally have spring break!

I began drivers education yesterday. I'm already counting the days until I can get out of there. How are you guys?

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#44958 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

Spaghetti on the road is scary :)

#44959 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:16 AM

^ I can't resist... https://www.youtube....h?v=fiVr34QCF_c Them were the days, y'all. Edit: GUYS!!! I'm watching The Martian right now, and I'm taking a break because I'm curious to find out how long years and days are on other planets... and now, I have to ask: 

One year on Earth is 365 days, right? So then... what about leap years, when we have that extra day? Does the planet revolve slightly faster on that day, or at least overall? But then... that would mean Earth would have to have a slightly different revolution speed every four years... I'm no astronomer (though I love space), but that seems a little too specific. I wonder if there is any inaccurate time because of this? 

Edited by SCM, 24 March 2018 - 01:13 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44960 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

^ I can't resist... https://www.youtube....h?v=fiVr34QCF_c Them were the days, y'all. Edit: GUYS!!! I'm watching The Martian right now, and I'm taking a break because I'm curious to find out how long years and days are on other planets... and now, I have to ask: 

One year on Earth is 365 days, right? So then... what about leap years, when we have that extra day? Does the planet revolve slightly faster on that day, or at least overall? But then... that would mean Earth would have to have a slightly different revolution speed every four years... I'm no astronomer (though I love space), but that seems a little too specific. I wonder if there is any inaccurate time because of this? 

Technically, a year is closer to 365.25 days. The "leap" by adding a 29th day in February helps make up for the inaccuracy. If we didn't have a leap year, eventually our calendar would fall so far out of whack after several hundred/thousands of years, December would fall in the middle of summer.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 24 March 2018 - 02:26 PM.

• SCM likes this

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.