Boulder Dash: United States' Best Woodie?

k'nex roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

I arrived at Lake Compounce last night at 5:30 after about a two and a half hour drive there. This wasn't my first time to the park, so I knew what to expect, but what I expected came out totally different then what actually happened.

We bought the $29 ticket for the rides and the Haunted Graveyard, but mainly for the rides. We then ran up to Boulder Dash, but I noticed the chain wasn't moving so I decided to let it get going again and ride Thunder n' Lightning, a S&S Giant Swing. It's a fun ride, like all the others, but nothing too amazing.

We saw Boulder Dash warming up so we headed back there. This time, it was a go and I was pumped. It was dark out so I was looking forward to, what might be, my favorite night coaster yet. I waited 15 minutes for front and we were soon approaching the lift hill. I looked around, seeing nothing but trees engulfing me, something I have never experienced on any ride. As you approach the top and are going around the turnaround, you do not know what to expect. The layout of this ride isn't something you can look up online because there is no way of distinguising it with all the trees. You slam down the first drop and into the lightly banked turn which makes it nearly impossible not to hit your cushions on the left. After clearing hills with a rich combination of ejector and floater airtime, you hit the turnaround. The turnaround has a maximum of 25* banking which, again, makes it impossible not to slam into the side. After another rendevous of airtime, you hit the brakes.

First thing I thought was that this ride was better then El Toro. The way it carries you blindly throughout the woods is like no other. I wrote down some traits that I find admirable in a ride and I think Boulder Dash has the edge.

Speed: Although El Toro is faster, Boulder Dash has straight sections that allow you to take in the velocity.

Height: El Toro, no doubt.

Scenary: Boulder Dash, no questions asked.

Length: Boulder Dash feels and is longer by about 300'.

Overall feel: Boulder Dash is a woodie. El Toro is more steel-like with its feel and layout. Like I could see El Toro being turned into a steel coaster and the layout would still be fitting.

Wait: Boulder Dash was a maximum of 15 minutes for front, so we all know who wins that.

The only other rides I could think of that could win this ride over, is Thunderhead and maybe Voyage. I have been on Voyage and I personally feel that Boulder Dash is more intense.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#2 lilmikemarin

lilmikemarin

Altitu... Fuzion !

• 1484 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

I don't think you should judge a coaster on the wait time. Just saying, lol.

Posted Image
My Coasters:
Zepto! - Gallery
Turbulence - Gallery , Video
Grizzly - Gallery , Video

#3 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Haha I really do though, I find a ride much more enjoyable when you dont have to wait a hour for it.

But thats not the point though, Boulder Dash wins in basicly everything but height. I know this is based on opinion but I would really like to see other people's thoughts on this inference.

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#4 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

The problem there is there aren't many people who have been on both, at least on this site.

Posted Image

#5 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Toro's got that crappy hill between the turnaround and the right hand turn, I'd say that's a straight part really.

But you forgot airtime... how can't you love that ejector airtime?
(By the way, I actually do want to ride BD, but I doubt it'll be any time soon.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#6 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

How was that triple up ending? I heard it's freaking insane! I need to get out there and ride these two monsters.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#7 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

TH I know what you mean, I have been on El Toro probably around 50-60 times now but trust me when I say that Boulder Dash gives more sense of speed. Also, Boulder Dash has better airtime. El Toro is 100% pure ejector airtime. Boulder Dash is 80% floater and 20% ejector. I prefer the mixture.

The ending is insane. Like its one of those elements that make you say "what the fuck is happening right now" haha. Because you just keep going up and down up and down up and down. Its hilarious actually.

#8 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

It's amazing Sir Chubs, I disagree with you on everything about roller coasters it seems. Besides the trees and the "Coaster in the woods" feel that Boulder Dash has, it doesn't come close to the intensity and thrill of El Toro. I guess you're not as big a fan of intense ejector air as you are other aspects of rides(you like Nitro more than S:RoS and ET, for example) I loved Boulder Dash, but El Toro just blows it away in my mind. You are definitely entitled to your opinion though, and I could see how someone might like Boulder Dash more than El Toro.

Based on numerous polls however, Voyage is the best woodie in the world, so Boulder Dash isn't considered the "best" in the country regardless. El Toro actually is one spot ahead of BD in the most recent Golden Ticket awards at four and five respectively, and four spots ahead in the (more acurate IMO) Mitch Hawker poll(2 & 6).

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#9 lilmikemarin

lilmikemarin

Altitu... Fuzion !

• 1484 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

Ejector air is the only thing that thrills me. I mean, everything used to, but I don't know. I dont even find Nitro fun anymore, besides the first drop.

Posted Image
My Coasters:
Zepto! - Gallery
Turbulence - Gallery , Video
Grizzly - Gallery , Video

#10 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

Voyage is alright... I am simply stating that IMHO Boulder Dash rules all. You can't find another ride out there that is built on the side of the mountain completely engulfed with trees. Unless you want to pull dog shit rides out like The Ultimate or something better like the Beast. The airtime on El Toro is awesone, don't get me run but repetitive. Like every hill is ejector. The mix on Boulder Dash is outstanding because it goes from Nitro floater to nearly as intense ejector as El Toro. It also has nasty laterals and a great senses of speed.

I am just saying that if you put it into the prespective I did then Boulder Dash over takes it. You never know though, maybe the fact that I have been on El Toro so many times could have something to do with it.

#11 NitroDude319

NitroDude319

Compact or Nothing

• 1846 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Well to me the best woddie in the US is beast

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Everybody has his or her own opinion. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#13 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

I know Gump I'm just trying to get some feedback and to try and put this bad boy on the map. Because I dont know many people who are planning trips to Lake Compounce.

#14 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Ejector air is the only thing that thrills me. I mean, everything used to, but I don't know. I dont even find Nitro fun anymore, besides the first drop.

Same, although I like the helix too. Even so, I don't even get floater air on Nitro anymore, so it's like I'm driving basically except without a wheel.
El Toro, while the ejector air is amazing throughout, the second half of the ride is what really seals the deal on this one for me. Besides, I'd take 100% ejector air over floater air any day.
Onto Lake Compounce though, I wouldn't make a vacation to go there, but if you're 2 hours away, I'd make the trip. I gotta get back there though, I haven't been since 2005.

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#15 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

Yeah you really should get there. Ride front row, trust me you wont be let down. It truly is a beast.

#16 LCAL

LCAL

Only I Can Live Forever

• 1823 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

Thunderbolt FTW!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Fear its ravine and twisty awesomeness!

http://www.youtube.com/knexer13
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SSC Member June 11th 2007 - January 1st 2011

Posted Image

#17 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

Psshhh...

I know you like Kennywood but don't kid yourself. Haha

#18 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Enter Renegade!

WOOT DROP, ZOMG!!!!

DROP POV

MORRREEE PICS

I miss Renny.... :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 KCB Designs

KCB Designs

Ride the Lighting!

• 1048 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

^ I completely agree with you IMC, Renegade kicks ass.

╔═╦═╦═╦═╦╦═╦╦╦══╦═╦╦╦═╗
║═╣║║║║═╣║║║╩╠╗╔╣═╣╔╣╚╣
║╔╣║║║║╔╣╠╗║║║║║║═╣║╠╗║
╚╝╚═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩╩╝╚╝╚═╩╝╚═╝
EDIT by Jogumpie: Your signature image was too large.

#20 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Number three in my new siggy. Tell me when you can beat the insane ejector airtime accompanying every hill, the double up, the trick track, the incredibly brisk pacing, and the intense 585* helix to end the ride.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k'nex roller coaster