173 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image
^Drew it myself!^

Hey! Haven't heard much construction form me in a week or so but i have a new custom coaster called Bottle Rocket! It will be a Premier launch coarser based off of Sky Rocket [not much of a name difference] ant Kennywood. I have the hill and the launch so far. P.S. The station will be parallel to the launch and roll into the launch like on Sky Rocket.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please tell me what you think!

Posted Image

#2 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

uhm, 8 granites?
I thought you would do a 7 granites...
Still cool, what are the layoutplans?
Keep it easy this time, you'll learn more from a small easy coaster as a coaster which is too hard compared to your buildingskill.
Also, there's a straightspot/sharpspot in the right top.
Besides that it looks promising!

-Suck.

#3 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

looks good, ive been thinking about building a launch with a top hat after it, so i cant wait to see how this turns out

Posted Image

#4 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

Do you ever sort your knex? It helps sooooooo much. Really.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

oh, and can you post a close-up of your launch mechanism?

Posted Image

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

I don't mind so much about the mixed colors now, it's like your own personal building style. Will it be a drill launch?

#7 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

I am so mad right now! I tried making Rollercoasterfanatic919's launch on Palisade and i made it perfectly, but the thing gives me so many problems and i still cant find a launch that's fast enough! The car's front triangle point thing axle broke because it was put under too much force!The drill launch didn't work and even at full speed, it doesn't make it over the tophat! What is a better launch that will be able to launch when the car enters the launch like Palisade's launch. I want the beginning to make a turn out of the station a granite rod higher then the launch and launch like Sky Rocket at Kennywood. Comment and give me your best opinion!

Posted Image

#8 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

You could always try The Jesper Launch.

I was reading that the other day and thought about using it if I ever decide to do a launched coaster. But instead of using a rubber band, I would probably go to Wal-Mart and look for a metal coil spring
Posted Image

Or for a cheaper alternative, you could take apart a stapler and take the spring from it. Good luck.

#9 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

hmmmmm...
to me, i doesnt seem like a spring would work
as for you Jumpge, try this:
YouTube - "Tomcat Launch" - Update # 2 of Superman Escape Knex Coaster
It actually is a pretty good launch, but to make loading easier just use two sets of rubber bands on the sides
You can also use a regular rubber band

Posted Image

#10 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

How much weight is there on the cars?
Also, wouldn't you just do some sort jesperlaunch?
That would work IMO...

#11 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

I would guess that the track dips in alot. So to help with that:

It might help to put some more support on the side closest to the launch. And if I were you I would add some track strengtheners to the side closest to the launch too. Becouse when you build with flex rods, there not as stable. But if you support then enough, they are better then grey rods.

And that tophat looks wierd too. I can't tell why. But heres a picture that I think could help you:

http://www.leisureop...0-skyrocket.jpg

I think if done right. This will turn out as a great coaster!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#12 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

You could always try The Jesper Launch.

I dont think that that's a fast enough launch IMO. But thanks anyway!

I was reading that the other day and thought about using it if I ever decide to do a launched coaster. But instead of using a rubber band, I would probably go to Wal-Mart and look for a metal coil spring
Posted Image

Or for a cheaper alternative, you could take apart a stapler and take the spring from it. Good luck.

I dont think I'll use that for the launch but a good suggestion. I was thinking something more simple but thanks!

hmmmmm...
to me, i doesnt seem like a spring would work
as for you Jumpge, try this:
YouTube - "Tomcat Launch" - Update # 2 of Superman Escape Knex Coaster
It actually is a pretty good launch, but to make loading easier just use two sets of rubber bands on the sides
You can also use a regular rubber band

Ok, i have used the tomcat on other coasters before thins site and it works perfectly! But the rubber band launch as well as the tomcat wouldn't work. Watch the POV of Sky Rocket and you'll see what i mean when it rolls out of the station. It goes directly into the launch. Great suggestions but it wont work.

How much weight is there on the cars?
Also, wouldn't you just do some sort jesperlaunch?
That would work IMO...

My cars are fully weighted to maintain speed through out the ride. As for the launch i was thinking of mortifying the Jesper launch to my specifications. Well see how this launch comes out my friend...

I would guess that the track dips in alot. So to help with that:

It might help to put some more support on the side closest to the launch. And if I were you I would add some track strengtheners to the side closest to the launch too. Becouse when you build with flex rods, there not as stable. But if you support then enough, they are better then grey rods.

And that tophat looks wierd too. I can't tell why. But heres a picture that I think could help you:

http://www.leisureop...0-skyrocket.jpg

I think if done right. This will turn out as a great coaster!

Yeah. I saw that picture and i think my tophat resembles the tophat you showed me perfectly. If you can prove me wrong then I'll change it immediately! I have put some support on the side of the launch and the track or the structure doesn't shake or have any give at all. But i do think that this will be a great coaster!

Update numo uno on the pullout.

So i have decided that I'll work on the launch when i get the time. My main focus is to just make the ride's track. As for the tests, they will be tested speed wise by being pushed over the tophat slowly. Here's what i have for the pullout so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
For your SUCK. I think i fixed that straight spot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here's the launches current condition.
Posted Image

I just saw that there is a sharp spot 5 gray's up. Should i fix it?
Please Comment!

Posted Image

#13 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

I think that it looks great, but, there might be a straight spot in the pullout. I'm not sure though, you will have to hear from other people.

#14 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

The ending of the pullout is too sharp, lower the center of the pullout a bit.

#15 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yes, fix the sharp spot. And I had a idea for your launch. Make it longer. The longer it is. The slower it can accelerate. So it will not break. Keep building!

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#16 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Ok, small update, big problem.

FYI, i will make the launch longer and use a custom launch to make it over the tophat. But right now I've done the turn structure and track over at leaset 3 times and cant get it right. After the point I'm at it always seems to mess up! Take a look.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I think i fixed the drop
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is the picture I'm basing the turn off
Posted Image
And this is mine right now
Posted Image

Please comment!

Posted Image

#17 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

Aofar so good I'd recommend maybe building the other side's pullout leve excess tubing in between each pullout then add like 20 crossties in the gap with no flexies ,just mid and edge tubing. Then shape it how you want and build supports up around the track then add the track to support connections add more crossties and flexies etc.

That's how i'd do it anyhow.

#18 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

SKYROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!
Anywho, the ride looks great! I love a good max X-tie roller coaster! I think the drop is perfect, And I love how many different connections you have!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#19 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well. That pullout is bugging me. So I drew somthing for you;)

Posted Image

Black: Were the track should be. Your pullout started to suddenly. And it is uneven.

Red: The parts of the supports are weak spots. Little connections to hold up big section of support.

Blue: How to fix weak supports.

And then I overlapped your overbank picture for you;)

Posted Image

After that you should be good!

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#20 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Wow, I love that overlap. And oh, yeah, the model looks good too. The pullout looked fine to me at first, but you should really implement the suggested changes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bottle rocket