recreation wildcat wolverine woodie

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

I'm using trumpet valve oil, it is really fast, but I've never lubricated the cars after taking them apart, so that might be why the valve oil lasts for about a day. Should I switch to something else? It works really well and doesn't damage anything, but I would like to get longer lasting lube.

#22 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

My ArmorAll lasts for about a week then starts to loss speed.
For the coaster it looks good so far.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

I'll keep posting this everywhere I see WD40 mentioned. WD40 is terrible lubricant. Beyond being harmful to plastic it provides very poor lubrication. It good for cleaning things and it's original purpose Water Displacement.

Oil is a great lubricant but I prefer silicon because it works dry and will not attract as much dirt and hair and dust as oil.

=====

The coaster looks great. Love how you have the railing on both sides.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#24 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

the hand rails and cat walks...

for lubing i take my cars completely apart and wash off all of the oil and other crap that gets on them. then soak the axels only in WD-40 for a few gours than put them back together and it works great!!!!

Even if it was WATER, don't soak you axels in something for a few hours. Don't even soak something for more than five minutes.

#25 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

Update! I have torn the roller coaster in half because of space issues and I am out of green red rods (and red red rods). But I have finished the turn supports and part of the turn.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have made a special track to store my cars in and the third car is broken

Posted Image

#26 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

Looks good, but what is this?!! Brakes on the coaster??? I would not add brakes on a coaster at all. Take them off and your good! The coaster's supports are also looking fairly realistic, but please try to save some pieces too...

Posted Image

#27 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Those, I believe, are simply makeshift "anti-rollbacks", which are in place on many wooden coasters in sections other than the lift hill.

Everything else looks great though.

#28 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

I think the radii box supports can be built up a little. They look low and far away from where the track is. This leads me to say, make your supports stronger, they are too far away from the track. Also try to avoid using ball and socket joints. Also add middle tubing! Hope this gives you something to work on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Update! I'm running out of pieces, so this is a small update, but I finished the turn and redid the turn supports.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

That looks really, really good! I love the supports on the ride! Please put tubing on it so we can have a test on this thing! I really want to see this thing in action! Good luck!

Posted Image

#31 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure you'll have enough pieces for this, but I really hope you will! That turn looks fine. Move on.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#32 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hey! Another update, and with good news! This coaster is going to be displayed at my school's "variety" show on the 28th of February. So as soon as I got the approval, My friend and I started working like crazy. We just recently bought another screaming serpent coaster and another friend's pieces, which included a screaming serpent (He had loaned me the cars), a shark run, a Looping Lightning, and some value tubs. So here are the pictures.
Posted Image

Here, we started to remove the orange ladder connectors on the ride:

Posted Image

FYI: This next pic isn't recent, I supported the angled supports.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here you can see how I supported the angled supports:

Posted Image

EDIT: Funny thing happened. I went onto Google images for a reference picture, and my coaster was there! Should I use it for reference? :)

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#33 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

I love the supports, looking really good to me. Coaster itself seems fine, and by the looks of it, your definately going to have a pretty neat layout. Can't wait to see more!!

and it's also coincidental that my PJAS (Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science) competition is on the 28! good luck though!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#34 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Yup, looking sexy. I love the supports. Realy cool. Just add tubing. Question, why do you have the small trim (chain)?

EDIT: I cannot tell, but is it banked?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#35 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

It's the small things on this coaster that make me like it so much: the handrails, the supports, the anti-rollback chain, etc.

#36 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

^^ if you look at the pics from the 24th, you can see it is, but slightly.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#37 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

Update! I have put track on, as you guys have told me to, beefed up the supports, and added more track connectors. Here are the pics with comparison pics to compare to.

Original:

Posted Image

Knex:

Posted Image

Original:

Posted Image

Knex:

Posted Image

Original:

Posted Image

Knex:

Posted Image

Other pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#38 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Looks good. I think banking is as good as it is going to get. Still not sure about the chain on the track..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#39 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

looks great, and really long of a coaster. Supports look great. Please continue!!!

#40 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Wow-Definition: It is all I have to say about this ride.
This is probably the most realistic recreation of a wooden coaster I have ever seen on SSCoasters in my life. Amazing supports, great comparisons, now just get the ride finished and make those air-hills! Beautiful, just beautiful and innovative wooden coaster supports.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recreation, wildcat, wolverine, woodie