Scrap Attack!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: What color do you think the cars will be?

What color do you think the cars will be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Lol, the top hat only looks like it's two feet tal, but it's neighbor looks to be around five.

A turning 0-g roll is a 0-g roll that's pullout/pullin is turned. It's a pre-made element in NL, I just forgot what it's called.

Formally RK500

#82 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Judging by the curve and height of the 3 large supports I think we finally have some-one attempting a REAL Stengle Dive!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

EDIT- ^I do see the curve of the supports too for a real nice looking Stengel dive there too Max!

Track-work is beautiful, the curve of the turn looks phenomenal, and the pullout is looking stunning. The ride is turning out great so far, and can't wait to see how the launch works out!

I do have one question though if you could squeeze it in the tight schedule of the building crew members, does the tophat shake when the force of the car is applied when launched? I wanted to see if the new and improved spine did a lot to reinforce the tophat of the ride.

Posted Image

#84 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

^ When I "throw" the car over, it doesn't shake at all.

EDIT: Okay. Maybe just a tiny bit. But it's still very strong up there.

#85 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Love this coaster and I can't wait to see the first(or second) norwegian loop.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#86 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

It is so nice to see a VV coaster so well supported. It all looks great.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#87 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

Stig you have become one of the best VV builders in the world along side BBaller! That is truly amazing supporters! And to think I was going to try and be one of teh best VV builders... Oh well Now I have two goals! I want to be at the same height as you and BBaller! I really hope the launch works!

#88 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Love this coaster and I can't wait to see the first(or second) norwegian loop.

Thanks. Me neither.

It is so nice to see a VV coaster so well supported. It all looks great.

Thanks.

Stig you have become one of the best VV builders in the world along side BBaller! That is truly amazing supporters! And to think I was going to try and be one of teh best VV builders... Oh well Now I have two goals! I want to be at the same height as you and BBaller! I really hope the launch works!

Thanks. I hope it works too.
And I like your coasters, man.

I went out to the site this afternoon because I've heard that they've completely rebuilt the launch from the ground up. I've been told that the new and improved launch is much stronger than the old one and is capable of higher speeds as well. I can also report that the new launch was (somewhat) modelled after the Jesper Launch, only with a drill at the bottom and VV on top. However, since I'm not very good at mechanical details, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Posted Image

Here's a bunch of brand new gears and other gizmos straight from the factory.

Posted Image

Under the launch is this flat piece for the chain on the return trip

Posted Image

Let it be known: I have a new found respect for anyone who's ever built tubes with standard rods! I thought my bones were going to pop out of my thumbs!

Posted Image

Wheels like this one keep the chain from jumping on the lower platform

Posted Image

Smaller gears like this one provide a rounded transition from the lower platform to the upper platform

Posted Image

Using many standard to micro rods on one side

Posted Image

And still using that funky track-track-spine on the other side

Posted Image

POV of new launch

Posted Image

And finally, a test video showing how all the components (almost) work!
And yes, that's SSC on the computer.

Please comment!

#89 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

I suggest a tension gear like I used on Wildfire?
Posted Image

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#90 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

I have two suggestions.

One I would change the black drive gear for the chain .It will have a tendency to slip, and if you compensated for that it means your chain maybe too tight.

Also the gear connection after the drive gear. Try a simply change from a stiff blue rod to a flexie blue rod there. That way the chain can have a little extra play. (I extra a short grey rod with a purple flexie, in a spot like that for a chain run, and it made a world of a difference)

Looks great though. Keep up the excellent work.

#91 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Which end of the launch should I put the tension gear? Does it matter?

#92 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

A tension gear should be placed behind the powersource. But actually, it works to put a tension gear in front of the powersource, that way it has a little play while accelerating.
In my oppinion, tensiongears work best if you use one on both sides of the powersource. I would suggest doing that.

#93 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

Put it at the end, people (almost) never put them at the side the motor is on. For exaple, all the intamin accelerators have them at the beginning, because they have the launch components at the end of the launch. Because if it were on the side the motor was on, nothing would happen because it's being driven by another gear so it can't move back and forth.

#94 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Not sure if this is what ASC is saying but putting the drill and drive gear at the end of the launch would help eliminate a lot of stress on the chain. None of the chain on the return or over some of the gears would have any tension on it at all.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#95 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

I say, have the tension gear in front of the power, as you can see in my picture, the drill attaches to the bottom set of gears, and if the chain experiences resistance, the tension gear compensates. Put the tension gear where the drill is pulling chain from, where the chain has the most tension.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#96 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

I would put it directly behind the driver. Max's tire chain tension gear goes behind the driving gear(I broke my chain many times when I had it before the motors, and almost no breaks once I moved it behind the gears). This is to prevent the chain from "sucking" into the gear, and still allowing some give.

Notice the chain snapped between the drive gear and start of the launch (hence why such a large piece of chain went flying).
Also, look at a bike, the chain tensioner goes after the driver of the chain.

Another option:
What FTGU is saying. Using the drill at the end of the launch instead of the beginning. (by flipping the end the drill is located) Just like there is less stress on a lift chain when the gears are at the top of the lift versus the bottom.

I hope what I just typed makes sense.

#97 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Yes a tension gear will most likely solve it. However if you have any spare red gears 9I know I'm nagging) then definitely use those as they hook onto micro chain the best.

#98 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

^ Are you talking about the red standard size gears?
Because I ordered 2 of them and I couldn't get them to work with the micro chain at all. So I used them as the driving gears.

It's been years since I've built anything (big) with standard rods. Who knew that new parts would make me feel nostalgic?

#99 testkid

testkid

Construction Foreman

• 149 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

If you put the two red gears facing the same way and put a blue spacer in between it should work

#100 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

If you face the Red Standered Gears with the flat sides facing each other, and 3 blue spacers in between, it works fine with Micro Chain.

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel