Scrap Attack!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: What color do you think the cars will be?

What color do you think the cars will be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

Indeed, it is an week structure for the launch, but an EPIC spine! Really looks intamin - ish. Great job!

#62 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

AWESOME LAUNCH! SOme advice form experience. If you ave normal knex build th launch with that. If not alt least get some red gears. They work A LOT better than those grey ones. I guarantee that if you add red gears and maybe a tension gear it will work fine!

#63 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

Your launch can't handle the drill's power, can it? The structure there seems very very weak.

Right you are.

Indeed, it is an week structure for the launch, but an EPIC spine! Really looks intamin - ish. Great job!

I got the idea from the Rocket Boost coaster.

AWESOME LAUNCH! SOme advice form experience. If you ave normal knex build th launch with that. If not alt least get some red gears. They work A LOT better than those grey ones. I guarantee that if you add red gears and maybe a tension gear it will work fine!

I don't have any red gears. Just the grey ones and the black ones. But I can certainly re-build the launch with standard parts. Perhaps I can connect the drill to a series of gears so the output is faster?

If all else fails, I have rubber bands, too.

#64 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well, just reinforce the launch with diagonal supports on the sides and underneath the track to ensure max-stabilization on that launch. This is VV, and you have a drill.

I am also in just sheer amazement at the tophat and how well you have refurbished it, but will the layout change due to the angle of the tophat? I am really impressed with this coaster, and I really think you have taken VV to the next level, great work Stig.

Posted Image

#65 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

^I just have to totally agree with you. Thee others are also right about the connections. They look really weak.

Nice to see you again, Jumpge. I almost thought that you were dead. XD

Formally RK500

#66 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

The launch looks great, and I hope that you can fix the problems with the chain/structure. Also, when is the next update for the secret element?

Posted Image

#67 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

You could also add more gears, to stabilize the chain.
But now that the tophat is fixed, it looks toooo good to be true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#68 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

I received an interesting e-mail from our guy on the site this morning. Apparently, he had gone into the trailer to get a cup of coffee and noticed that the project manager had left his laptop open. Upon closer inspection, he noticed an open image. More specifically, an elevation plan. In fear of getting in trouble for tampering with the designer's equipment, he did the first thing that he could think of. He took a picture of it with his phone.

I first asked him how big the layout is.
He said, "It's as big as 100 shrimpin' boats!"

So my next question was, of course, "Does it go upside-down?"
His response was, "Yeah! It loops a whole bunch!"

Keep in mind that our "mole" buddy isn't the most coaster-savvy guy in the world. When I asked him what the inversions looked like, his response was, "A big ol' twisted maze." *facepalm*

So I asked a simpler question. I asked how many times it goes upside-down. His response was a puzzling, "4.... No, wait..... 5.... No...... 5½!" :iyes

I responded with, "Are you counting the top hat as an inversion?"
And he answered back, "The top what?..... Here, I'll just e-mail it to ya'."

And here's the picture I recieved:

Posted Image

Despite the picture's poor quality, it's safe to say that this coaster is going to be very large, indeed. Especially for a blitz. It looks about the same size as iSpeed.

So the unofficial specs are this: A launched blitz-coaster with five and a half inversions.
More news and reports to follow as they develop...

#69 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Can't see much, but is that a norweigin loop?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#70 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:51 AM

Nice to see that you are giving that norwegian loop another chance:)

#71 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

Finally! I couldn't see the layout before because I was traveling back from Memphis and was stuck in an "E" area/the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, as far as I can see, it's a great layout. I was expecting more of a "Stealth" or a "Magnum" layout; not this. It's great to see you giving a norwegian loop another try!

Formally RK500

#72 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Nice story along with an interesting build. This can be a winner for the next TM :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Can't see much, but is that a norweigin loop?

Yes it is.

Nice to see that you are giving that norwegian loop another chance:)

Absolutely. This time, for real.

Finally! I couldn't see the layout before because I was traveling back from Memphis and was stuck in an "E" area/the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, as far as I can see, it's a great layout. I was expecting more of a "Stealth" or a "Magnum" layout; not this. It's great to see you giving a norwegian loop another try!

You were surprised? Me too!
I've been through Memphis. It's a cool place. Did you see the big pyramid-stadium thing?
Wait a minute... Magnum doesn't have a top hat.

Nice story along with an interesting build. This can be a winner for the next TM :)

Maybe. Thanks a lot.

The launch looks great, and I hope that you can fix the problems with the chain/structure. Also, when is the next update for the secret element?

Secret element? I don't know what you're talking about :D

Anyways, some new supports are going up. Here's some pictures:

Posted Image

This must be that highly rumored "blurry element to the right"

Posted Image

Whatever it is, the supports for it look pretty interesting.

Posted Image

This new element runs perpendicular to the launch track.
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

#74 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

to bad, no other story :P

the supports are looking awesome!!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#75 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:33 AM

Looks strong to me, is that the support for the Norwegian Loop?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#76 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:25 AM

WOW those are some real super supports! Could I have a close up of the lateral's connection to the main support at the top? I can't seem to figure it out and it looks like a really strong connection!

#77 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

I can say that I am astounded by the sheer height of this ride and the shaping that comes with that height. This is highly realistic looking, and is just incredible in every way. I don't know how those supports can stay p that high when using VV, but you have found a way. I am just going to say that it is incredible what you have done, and so far this ride is blowing Euphoria out of the water. Cant wait to see more construction on this thing until the end.

Posted Image

#78 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Looks like an interesting layout... Launch, tophat, turning 0-g roll, wide turn, hill, turning hill, norwegian loop...

Formally RK500

#79 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

to bad, no other story :P

the supports are looking awesome!!

Thanks.

Looks strong to me, is that the support for the Norwegian Loop?

Thanks.
I don't think so. The Norwegian Loop comes later.

WOW those are some real super supports! Could I have a close up of the lateral's connection to the main support at the top? I can't seem to figure it out and it looks like a really strong connection!

Thanks. Here you go:

Posted Image

At both ends of the main supporting tubes, I have a circle of small black rods. This keeps all the other rods from sliding. To connect them, I replace one ladder connector with a half-moon and put a yellow rod in it, then I put two one-way connectors on the other tube to hinge on the yellow rod. Cross-braces, diagonals, and footers keep the "hinges" from moving.

I can say that I am astounded by the sheer height of this ride and the shaping that comes with that height. This is highly realistic looking, and is just incredible in every way. I don't know how those supports can stay p that high when using VV, but you have found a way. I am just going to say that it is incredible what you have done, and so far this ride is blowing Euphoria out of the water. Cant wait to see more construction on this thing until the end.

Thanks. I was suprised, too, when I made the first set of 8-rod tubes. I had no idea that something so small and bendy could make something so strong. I agree with the Euphoria comment as well.

With Euphoria, I was using 4-rod tubes. And I had to connect them with rods on the bottom, middle, and some at the top to keep them from wobbling. This was something I wanted to eliminate with Scrap Attack!

Looks like an interesting layout... Launch, tophat, turning 0-g roll, wide turn, hill, turning hill, norwegian loop...

Thanks.
It will be a very interesting layout, indeed. But what is a turning 0-g roll?

I went by to visit the site this afternoon to see if any progress had been made to the element. I was delighted to see some more green track in the air. Here's a picture of the new track:

Posted Image

Something interesting that I noticed: Earlier this week, the taller supports for this element were lined up straight. This afternoon, there was a slight curve to the supports for (what will be) the top of the element. Engineering revision perhaps?

They've also gotten the pullout of the top-hat built.

Posted Image

After a 90° drop, the train enters this banked 45° turn.

Posted Image

And then climbs up to the next element.

Posted Image

Here's a view of the curve as seen from the top hat:

Posted Image

I had to walk a good ways down the top hat to get a picture of the turn. You can't see it from the top.

Here's a reverse POV taken from the end of the existing trackwork:

Posted Image

In other news, the launch is going to be re-worked soon. I took a picture of it to give an idea of how far away this new element is from the beginning of the launch.

Posted Image

And finally, there's been rumors floating around the internet about this coaster being re-located yet again to another site. It seems that the project managers underestimated just how big this coaster is going to be. And the park has been really tight with free space ever since that stupid pool table ride's position was made permanent. As with most other major projects, the moving of the surrounding landscape is strictly forbidden. However, if we keep having this great weather here, I might have a simple solution.

Please comment!

#80 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Looks good dude. Amazing for a VV. Nuff said