fraggie inverted table top

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm still working on taking the looper apart so I wont have any big construction pictures up, maybe the start of the lift. But I will show you the train. Rather than use coins glued or taped to the bottom of the car, I made some play dough to put under it. you can force it into all the corners of the car and it weighs just about the same as a regular coin weighted car. I tested it on the looper before I started taking it apart and it was exactly the same as my other train. I just thought I'd share this with you guys because it seems to work great so far. You dont have to worry about the coins falling out or anything and it weighs about the same. Well hopefully I will be able to get some real progress done this weeked.

Posted Image

#2 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

I like the idea. Nice to hear it also works great. :)

Posted Image

#3 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

You just finished a coaster and you've already started a new one :P Really nice Fraggz!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#4 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

A table top inverted will be very tough I would think. Also kudos on showing us that playdoh will work.

#5 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Alright here we go. My first attempt at a drop. I know there are bumps but I want to get the basic shape down. How did I do?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Definitely looking very good.

#7 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Fabulous choice with the playdough, but I remember from when I tried that (almost 2 years ago) that it was very hard to remove the playdough after I was done, and it really messed up the inside of my cars. I just had an idea though...what if you lined the inside of the car with ceran wrap before inserting play dough, then cut off the excess ceran wrap?

#8 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

These table top coasters are awesome! So far it's looking sick, so I can't wait to see more of it!

Posted Image

#9 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Definitely looking very good.

Wow thanks, I thought I would have had to make a few attempts at a drop.

Fabulous choice with the playdough, but I remember from when I tried that (almost 2 years ago) that it was very hard to remove the playdough after I was done, and it really messed up the inside of my cars. I just had an idea though...what if you lined the inside of the car with ceran wrap before inserting play dough, then cut off the excess ceran wrap?

Thats actually a very good idea steel. Maybe I'll have to to that.

These table top coasters are awesome! So far it's looking sick, so I can't wait to see more of it!

Thank you!! Should have an update soon,

#10 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

I like the idea! Although the drop looks like it's not steep enough, maybe make it look more like Batman drops.

#11 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please comment!!

#12 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

So... glorious... great job!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#13 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

The radius looks a little too small, but other than that I like it.

#14 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any comments?

#15 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm impressed at how you're pulling this off at this scale.

#16 Dabubs

Dabubs

Where is the love?

• 186 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

The loop looks really rounded, so try to make it more of a clothoid shape if you can.

Posted Image

^^Thanks Ward!!!^^

#17 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Agreed, nothing much else to comment on. I really like all your table coasters, this is something I surely woulldn't be able to do so fast.

#18 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Alright I have a question for you guys. I tried putting a dive loop in, then an immelmann, but it loses quite a bit of speed. I was thinking about making the layout simlilar to the looper, Challenger. I would have an over bank into a corkscrew, then maybe a helix or turn to another roll. What do you think? Like I said, I'm having some troubles right now with speed and think that's a fairly easy finish to the ride, that is easy to keep speed I mean.

#19 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

I like that idea a lot, making a ride like an old-time coaster sounds pretty cool to me! One thing that would be better is if the loop wasn't a perfect circle, but a teardrop from since it really doesn't look as good circular in my opinion.

Posted Image

#20 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

That layout plan sounds excellent. Simple but sweet.

Also as the others mentioned. More tear drop on the loop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fraggie, inverted, table top