inverted large fluxcapacitor wut box supports

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

I like it so far, I know this may be to late but the loops pullin should've started lower ti the ground so you could get more speed out of the drop and height for the loop and the rest of the elements in the layout to come but well see how good your trains are, and how well you support the coaster to conserve speed!

He's actually preserving energy by not going all the way to the ground. There is a set amount of potential energy between the highest point of the ride and the lowest point. Now we all know how badly energy loss and speed loss is with K'nex (track and wheel gap, no bearings, air resistance, etc), but you only lose that energy when it's in kinetic form. By keeping some of the energy in a potential state by having the valleys higher up, he's not subjecting that energy to outside forces. Say he makes the lowest point of the ride the element before the brake run, he has that little bit of extra untapped energy to work with since it wasn't used until then. 

Looks good, CW! Keep it up!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#22 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Very good point Kevin. Keep that energy in reserve until later on. You see it a bit in real coasters. Typically higher pull outs earlier in the layout; get low to the ground near the end.

#23 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

Looks good, although it probably would have been easier to tell shaping if it was tubed. Keep it up!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#24 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:36 AM

Looking nice! This thing is massive! *immature giggle*
I do like the idea of having some elements higher to keep the speed. Also are you planning on digging a hole/trench for the batwing, sort of like Montu?

#25 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

He's actually preserving energy by not going all the way to the ground. There is a set amount of potential energy between the highest point of the ride and the lowest point. Now we all know how badly energy loss and speed loss is with K'nex (track and wheel gap, no bearings, air resistance, etc), but you only lose that energy when it's in kinetic form. By keeping some of the energy in a potential state by having the valleys higher up, he's not subjecting that energy to outside forces. Say he makes the lowest point of the ride the element before the brake run, he has that little bit of extra untapped energy to work with since it wasn't used until then. 

Looks good, CW! Keep it up!

That's a much better way of explaining it. Thanks :D

Very good point Kevin. Keep that energy in reserve until later on. You see it a bit in real coasters. Typically higher pull outs earlier in the layout; get low to the ground near the end.

The inverted Batman clones are springing to mind right now. The first loop is generally quite high. Thanks.

Looks good, although it probably would have been easier to tell shaping if it was tubed. Keep it up!

I agree but it's just that I didn't want the track all in the dusty garage. I generally keep the tubing for outside in the garden which is why you can now judge it better. Thank you.

Looking nice! This thing is massive! *immature giggle*
I do like the idea of having some elements higher to keep the speed. Also are you planning on digging a hole/trench for the batwing, sort of like Montu?

I won't do that for the batwing. I already have the supports and it's big enough as it is but I will hopefully do it for the second loop next to the lift hill as long as the ground isn't too hard *another immature giggle*

So now that the tubing is on and it's out in the garden for the first time, there are certainly sections I like more than others. Most of it is fine but the dive loop entrance is just slightly bugging me. The heartlining is pretty much non-existent and it may be killing some speed so I may go back to it. From a lot of angles, it doesn't look too bad though. The zero-g roll I'm already finding a pain to try and work out some kind of smoothness. Looking at real ones, I don't think I'm too far off but I really need to build the other side before I can get a good judge of it. A lot of the time, when built out of K'nex, I've noticed they come out too heartlined and just end up being a slightly raised roll so I hope my way of building it will work well in the end. Anyway, enough talk.

Attached File  DSC_0273.JPG   187.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0274.JPG   164.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0278.JPG   217.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0280.JPG   133.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0277.JPG   204.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0279.JPG   189.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0276.JPG   160.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0275.JPG   191.77KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0281.JPG   106.77KB   0 downloads

Now for the test run. It seemed to make it about half the time but I still haven't sorted that front car and the train still isn't weighted very much so I'm pretty happy with that result. This was fortunately the first take.

So it's going along pretty much as planned. The rising turn to MCBR is where I think it will have problems making it if I don't build it right. Thanks for reading and hopefully commenting :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#26 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

This was so important for me to respond because I'm currently changing in a Goodwill (I'm looking for pants...)! From the angle you took the video, it looked like it lost more height than the pictures appear to. (I just scored three pairs of shorts) I love the second to last picture of the roll, man she's pretty.

I think you could simply move the part needed heartlined more inward and a few adjustments to that should make it fine. I also don't know exactly what you plan is for the rest of the layout as far as position of eleme ts, so I can't tell what you're going to do. I hope it ends like Banshee where you use most of the energy and pull up and into the brake run. I always liked that about Banshee.

I think everything looks fine from an over view perspective so keep your head up and keep building the way you are right now! (:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#27 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Wow. 

Looks amazing. I think the dive loop is as tall as the lift for Mako which gives me an idea of the insane scale of this coaster, and because of the scale, the very few shaping imperfections become irrelevant when looking at the whole ride. You seemed to be building this really fast so I hope you don't run into any problems and the next update comes quickly. :)

#28 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:32 PM

I like the layout so far and how the coaster is coming along but I think the part on the zero g roll right when the track starts to twist is a little bit tight and could be lowered to fix that tightness which could save u some speed and height into that element I would suggest fully weighing that train and lubing it if you haven't done so yet. You could always make more of the lift just for the trains speed coming of the lift if you want. I always like building the lift first to see the speed of the train going into the first element more easily.

#29 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

This was so important for me to respond because I'm currently changing in a Goodwill (I'm looking for pants...)! From the angle you took the video, it looked like it lost more height than the pictures appear to. (I just scored three pairs of shorts) I love the second to last picture of the roll, man she's pretty.

I think you could simply move the part needed heartlined more inward and a few adjustments to that should make it fine. I also don't know exactly what you plan is for the rest of the layout as far as position of elements, so I can't tell what you're going to do. I hope it ends like Banshee where you use most of the energy and pull up and into the brake run. I always liked that about Banshee.

I think everything looks fine from an over view perspective so keep your head up and keep building the way you are right now! (:

Nothing wrong with posting in a Goodwill. :D Thanks.

Wow. 

Looks amazing. I think the dive loop is as tall as the lift for Mako which gives me an idea of the insane scale of this coaster, and because of the scale, the very few shaping imperfections become irrelevant when looking at the whole ride. You seemed to be building this really fast so I hope you don't run into any problems and the next update comes quickly. :)

Yeah, it is kinda large. Well, I'm off to Germany mid-July so I have to have this done and mostly taken down before then. That will sure be fun... Thanks.

I like the layout so far and how the coaster is coming along but I think the part on the zero g roll right when the track starts to twist is a little bit tight and could be lowered to fix that tightness which could save u some speed and height into that element I would suggest fully weighing that train and lubing it if you haven't done so yet. You could always make more of the lift just for the trains speed coming of the lift if you want. I always like building the lift first to see the speed of the train going into the first element more easily.

I did think that it was a touch sharp but in all honesty, it seems to work fine for what I want it to do. I haven't really had much experience with inverted zero-g rolls or zero-g rolls in general for that matter so I think it'll do. I did agree on getting the lifts done though. Thank you :D

Since not a huge amount is happening right now aside from a couple of updates on other rides, I thought I should do a sort of half update that isn't really a half update but is, I have built quite a bit since the last time but I was really planning to put the whole thing out on Saturday with Murray and update then. Still, no harm in this. I have also built a turn into the MCBR that has been basically tested but it was windy today and it did fall over on Sunday taking some of the other stuff with it and I haven't got round to fixing that small issue yet. You won't see it here but you'll see it next time with everything else. Also, when Murray came round on Sunday, "we" started work on the lift hill and the MCBR (I sat there and passed him pieces... Lift hills are my failure :/).

Onto the actual layout and there was a slight change in that I took out the 2nd loop which would've been dug into the ground. As Murray knows, I wasn't hugely keen on the idea of building everything up a little to be able to test it when I'm short on time anyway so I just decided to swap it for another roll/corkscrew thing. Some bits like the banking and supports on the corner aren't quite *ahem* finished but it's almost there. I'm also still trying to save some height for the interlocking corkscrews down the line. Hopefully I won't run into the lift hill either.

Attached File  DSC_0282.JPG   169.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0283.JPG   180.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0284.JPG   195.07KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0285.JPG   171.91KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0286.JPG   203.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0287.JPG   182.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0288.JPG   162.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0289.JPG   200.22KB   0 downloads

The garage is filling up nicely now. The lift only just fits.

Attached File  DSC_0290.JPG   153.44KB   0 downloads

So yeah.. Kind of an unintentional mini update that wasn't so mini in the end. I'm pretty confident that I have more than enough pieces to finish this well now. Thank you :D

Edited by CW5X, 22 June 2016 - 12:11 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#30 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Lookin' great! I can't see any flaws with this! Probably the best invert of all time :D !

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#31 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

It's lookin' fantastic so far! I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for this ride!

#32 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

This is pretty fantastic. 

#33 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

I really like it a lot. Could you take a link off on the mcbr chain. It looks like there may be one to many, but It could be for less strain on the motors, so I understand if you don't do it. Also, are those the final diagonal supports on the batwing, cause those look kind of week considering the force of a six car train on the track?  I would say make the same diagonals like you used on the mcbr. Just support the track a bit more and put the coaster together so we can see the whole thing with a test video too! Hows the zero g roll coming along btw?

Edited by IOAgeek, 22 June 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#34 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

Wow that is really big!  :o  It's been a while since I've seen a batwing before, especially on an inverted coaster.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#35 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

That is a fantastic looking flat spin! Actually, not just that. Everything looks great! The only thing that kinda bothers me is the entrance half of the batwing looks a little off. It doesn't seem like there is much heartlining to it. I have a feeling it will look much better with tubing on it. Keep up the massive work!

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#36 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Lookin' great! I can't see any flaws with this! Probably the best invert of all time :D !

I'm glad you see it that way. :D Thanks.

It's lookin' fantastic so far! I cannot wait to see what else you have in store for this ride!

Here's some more. Thanks.

This is pretty fantastic. 

Thank you :D.

I really like it a lot. Could you take a link off on the mcbr chain. It looks like there may be one to many, but It could be for less strain on the motors, so I understand if you don't do it. Also, are those the final diagonal supports on the batwing, cause those look kind of week considering the force of a six car train on the track?  I would say make the same diagonals like you used on the mcbr. Just support the track a bit more and put the coaster together so we can see the whole thing with a test video too! Hows the zero g roll coming along btw?

I'll probably put a catwalk underneath to keep that in check. One link fewer and it is a bit tight. I think I will strengthen those two diagonals to keep them from bending. When they're actually pegged down, they're effective. The zero-g will be getting some lateral support but I think I'll leave the track mostly alone. It works and that's what matters for me right now. Thank you :D.

Wow that is really big!  :o  It's been a while since I've seen a batwing before, especially on an inverted coaster.

Inspired by Montu a bit. I was thinking about a cobra roll but this fits in better here I think. Thank you.

That is a fantastic looking flat spin! Actually, not just that. Everything looks great! The only thing that kinda bothers me is the entrance half of the batwing looks a little off. It doesn't seem like there is much heartlining to it. I have a feeling it will look much better with tubing on it. Keep up the massive work!

The tubing I think will make anything easier to see but the shaping I think is about as good as I would be able to get it here. Thank you.

It's Saturday!!!... and we didn't have time for a test unfortunately... Dammit. But we did make a couple of other things and put them in mostly. I will get it back outside as soon as possible to test but that will likely be Tuesday. I'm confident through other testing that it will reach the MCBR and get through most of the complex stuff afterwards. Whether it makes it to the very end as is is up for discussion but only testing will tell. If it doesn't, I think it will be close. Still, after all that, we can put up some pretty exciting pictures for you. Again, some of the later track is not quite done but it is getting near now.

Attached File  DSC_0291.JPG   164.35KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0292.JPG   197.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0293.JPG   184.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0294.JPG   205.94KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0295.JPG   142.12KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0296.JPG   199.26KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0297.JPG   204.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0298.JPG   207.43KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0299.JPG   155.41KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0300.JPG   152.79KB   1 downloads

Seeing this thing is actually quite intimidating. It's bulkier than Gargantuan although its footprint is not quite the same. Looking forward to actually seeing this thing work. Thanks. :D

Tyndrum

#37 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Looks great so far!! You are a really fast builder for sure. Are you sure that its gonna make the layout though? I think the interlocking corkscrews are really similar in height which could make the train stall in between them. Make sure you support the track really well btw so you don't lose as much speed as possible. Also, I don't really like the look of all those gears on the lift hill. Could you take some of the middle gears out and just let the chain run down the lift spine. Maybe a chain guide like I did on Montu would be cool! What motors are you using to power the lift?

#38 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

Another epic build in your garden! Those interlocking corkscrews look beautiful.

Will you be modifying your trains for this?

Posted Image

#39 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Man, this is insanely huge! My favorite element is that turn up into the MCBR - it's unique and flows really nicely. The batwing is a really cool element too. If you don't have enough speed for the end, I would recommend taking out the first flatspin and the turn after it. I just really hope you keep those interlocking corkscrews! Also, I hope you have time to go back and add some more support-to-track connections. Your box supports look super sturdy, but there's some stretches of track that look undersupported. Anyway, I can't wait to see this in action!

#40 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Looks great so far!! You are a really fast builder for sure. Are you sure that its gonna make the layout though? I think the interlocking corkscrews are really similar in height which could make the train stall in between them. Make sure you support the track really well btw so you don't lose as much speed as possible. Also, I don't really like the look of all those gears on the lift hill. Could you take some of the middle gears out and just let the chain run down the lift spine. Maybe a chain guide like I did on Montu would be cool! What motors are you using to power the lift?

If I have time, I'll try and make something but the chain is so tight that it might not even be necessary. I will be moving the top gear a bit so we'll wait and see. Also I'm just going to use the drill again because for the weight of the train, it's the easiest thing. Thanks. :D

Another epic build in your garden! Those interlocking corkscrews look beautiful.

Will you be modifying your trains for this?

We put some seats underneath certainly. They're quite short so they don't hit the grass at the end but they'll be similar to the ones on Ace. Thank you. :D

Man, this is insanely huge! My favorite element is that turn up into the MCBR - it's unique and flows really nicely. The batwing is a really cool element too. If you don't have enough speed for the end, I would recommend taking out the first flatspin and the turn after it. I just really hope you keep those interlocking corkscrews! Also, I hope you have time to go back and add some more support-to-track connections. Your box supports look super sturdy, but there's some stretches of track that look undersupported. Anyway, I can't wait to see this in action!

I have gone back and added some but even more will be added by the end. We'll be making some alterations to the height of the track from the zero-g roll onwards because of excess speed. Thank you. :D

Finally, everything worked out right to have another test with all of the track. For the most part, it was successful but we've decided to raise the track between the zero-g roll and the interlocking corkscrews by a granite to help the reliability of the coaster. The optimum train was definitely 6 weighted cars as it flew round the course, hence the need for a bit of altering but I'm not complaining. As you'll see, it's so fast, it doesn't need a chain on the MCBR right now and that seems like a bit of a waste to me. This will mean that I get all of the originally planned elements though (Except for the second loop of course). It has little shaping niggles here and there I know. We'll hopefully try and get as many ironed out as possible before the end.

Attached File  DSC_0302.JPG   217.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0303.JPG   222.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0304.JPG   217.53KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0305.JPG   218.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0306.JPG   208.35KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0307.JPG   201.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0308.JPG   182.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0309.JPG   213.23KB   0 downloads

Dat speed doe.

Still never expected that I'd have to raise stuff. I've been weighting my trains badly all along it turns out. No wonder Fury didn't work...

:D

Edited by CW5X, 30 June 2016 - 05:28 PM.

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inverted, large, fluxcapacitor, wut, box, supports