Scarab - a B&M inverted returns (5/5/17)

custom cars egypt pyramid b&m bolliger and mabillard inverted invert

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

I think the best place to attach your catwalks would be on the single rod connections between your tube supports.  What you could potentially do is connect the catwalk to the top and bottom of the lift, but just lean the rest on those supports I mentioned!

Anyway, those supports look fantastic - and this is going to look even better with all the theming you've got planned :)

Posted Image

#22 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hey there :)

I finished the entire lift hill and figured a way of catwalk out.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the catwalk but I will work on this.

on christmas I will finish the chain return and all details on the lift hill

Unfortunately christmas is coming so I have to move the coaster into my room cuz we need the space but I will start building the elements (Dive loop and zero G) at christmas break.

If you've got some ideas for making the lift hill more B&M-ish leave a suggestion.

Attached File  IMG_7134.jpg   177.64KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7135.jpg   206.12KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7139.jpg   188.05KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7140.jpg   176.74KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7144.jpg   169.82KB   1 downloads

#23 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

The catwalk looks very B&Mish - I like how you connected it to the track. So you're going for a Banshee-style drop instead of using a pre-drop straight section? Also, the mixing of orange and brown ladder connectors looks a little messy. That's my only complaint though!

#24 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

The only suggestion I have is that most B&M inverts have a pre drop at the top, I'm not sure if you had that on the layout but that's just my suggestion.

Edit: oops I didn't see the last comment... It didn't load for me.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 19 December 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#25 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

I agree with steel. You should try to keep all the colors the same when possible. Like trade out the orange rods in the lift hill for gray ones and trade out the orange ladders for the borwn ones. It will look so much better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#26 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

The catwalk immediately caught my eye as well. The supports and backbone look solid, but I agree with the others about the colour scheme. It would be nice to see a Banshee-style drop, but that is up to you! ;)

Posted Image

#27 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

The catwalk looks very B&Mish - I like how you connected it to the track. So you're going for a Banshee-style drop instead of using a pre-drop straight section? Also, the mixing of orange and brown ladder connectors looks a little messy. That's my only complaint though!

Well, I already planned to make a banshee-style drop because of having a very steep drop:) as well as the lift hill and drop I will go on with the develop in the layout like the dive loop in banshee's. maybe not 100% like this but almost:)

The only suggestion I have is that most B&M inverts have a pre drop at the top, I'm not sure if you had that on the layout but that's just my suggestion.

Edit: oops I didn't see the last comment... It didn't load for me.

Yeah, I'll go on without pre drop:)

I agree with steel. You should try to keep all the colors the same when possible. Like trade out the orange rods in the lift hill for gray ones and trade out the orange ladders for the borwn ones. It will look so much better.

I don't have all my knex in my room right now but when I will move everything into my room the first thing I'll do is exchange all the orange connectors.

but for the orange rods I have to say that I'm stick with them because I would have to use some grey rods that I already planned for the supports.

Another point is that I like the mix of orange rods, red tubing of chain return and the purple one for track:)

The catwalk immediately caught my eye as well. The supports and backbone look solid, but I agree with the others about the colour scheme. It would be nice to see a Banshee-style drop, but that is up to you! ;)

I'll fix that soon, you might have read it a few lines above :D

Yes, banshee style:)

#28 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hey guys:)

xmas was pretty nice this year, here are my knex presents and the go pro I got for POVs :)

Attached File  IMG_7153.jpg   262.67KB   3 downloads

and here are new pics of Scarab with tubing on and train on track <3

Attached File  IMG_7154.jpg   187.74KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7155.jpg   171.45KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7156.jpg   153.51KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7157.jpg   173.51KB   2 downloads

Merry christmas to all of you :)

-GKC

Edited by GER Seano, 25 December 2015 - 09:26 AM.

#29 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hey folks,

this is a quick update of the layout.

i started the construction of the dive loop yesterday and took a few pics of it today.

I'm not 100% sure about the shaping but I think the supports are fine. 

I'm going to put some tubing inside of the crosswise to have its entire coaster more sturdy.

If you've got suggestions, please comment!

here you go for the pictures

Attached File  IMG_7196.jpg   151.6KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7192.jpg   189.89KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7193.jpg   204.69KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7194.jpg   194.52KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7195.jpg   159.69KB   1 downloads

-GKC

#30 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

I'm getting really excited about this one! Keep up the fantastic work!

#31 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Its a little too sharp at the top (you can tell by the straight spot by the top), but the bottom half looks great.

Edited by Mister Piglette, 03 January 2016 - 11:10 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm getting really excited about this one! Keep up the fantastic work!

Its a little too sharp at the top (you can tell by the straight spot by the top), but the bottom half looks great.

so do you mean the end of my crosstie section or do you mean the really top on top of the supports?

If you mean the crosstie section before the top off the dive loop, then I can say to you that this is just because of the missing support 

#33 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

I think your dive loop is too round. You could lower the top just a tiny bit and it will look better. It's not just the straight spot. I'm sure if you put the tubing on, it will shape it better. If someone could chip in to support me, that would be helpful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#34 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

The banking at the top looks spot on. As for the half-loop, though, I think it needs to be more clothoid shaped - meaning, the curve should have a smaller radius at the top and be more drawn out toward the bottom. So the point where it hits vertical should be a little closer to the top. It should help to compare with photos like this:

http://www.negative-...14-large-63.jpg

#35 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hey:)

I managed to correct the dive loop and yeah, thats sadly all for this update.... oh wait I build the first drop support but thats not worth it to take a pic:D ( will be mentioned in next update)

I have to say something to the pullout: I know i could be a bit larger but i just don't have the space for this:( you might noticed it because I have to build every single element separately and put them all together when i finished them. there is just not a section of our apartment where I could put up my coaster for longer time:(

Its not much but I hope its enough to leave any type of comment:)

Attached File  IMG_7300.jpg   118.43KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7301.jpg   125.5KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7303.jpg   222.17KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7304.jpg   227.75KB   2 downloads

-GKC

Attached Files

Edited by GER Seano, 25 January 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#36 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

Much, much better!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#37 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

That is one heck of a dive loop. I hope you can get it to flow element to element since you're doing them individually. Looks great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

That is much better than what you had before. Just tube it up and you'll be golden! 

#39 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

That's a beautiful dive loop you've got there! Perfectly shaped.
I really like the regularity of your lift hill, and the custom cars make it look even more fabulous!

Just so you know, this was one of the models which inspired me to build my own ;)

Posted Image

#40 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Much, much better!

That is one heck of a dive loop. I hope you can get it to flow element to element since you're doing them individually. Looks great.

jeah, me too:D thanks

That is much better than what you had before. Just tube it up and you'll be golden! 

I'll do when I've got most elements done so the final building step won't take that long

That's a beautiful dive loop you've got there! Perfectly shaped.
I really like the regularity of your lift hill, and the custom cars make it look even more fabulous!

Just so you know, this was one of the models which inspired me to build my own ;)

Thank you:)

Thats so nice to hear! your invert is coming up pretty nice dude!

Hey It's a quick update, I really wanted to go on building but just didn't find the time that weekend :( but at least I managed to make 2 test POVs and I want you guys to tell which setting is better!

Maybe I'm just to exhausted to find it but I can't find the option to embed the 2 videos. It would be very nice if one you you helps me with that! :)

thanks for suggestions and comments. I hope to have more time next weekend!

-GKC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom cars, egypt, pyramid, b&m, bolliger and mabillard, inverted, invert