Boomerang Coaster 5/6/12

boomerang cota lambchopz school screamin serpent

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: My opinion about the type of coaster is:

My opinion about the type of coaster is:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

^ You mean "different" or "unique" color coding?

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#22 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yay, someone else is coming to the dark side and doing colour coding :)

Are you using felxies for your lift hill? I would suggest using grey rods or stiff rods for the lifts, especially if you are using tubes, for the lifts.

Hahaha, school colors actually look pretty cool. Too bad the yellow crossties aren't exactly the gold/yellow, but it's close enough. I am using stiff rods for the lift hills. Debating about using them for the entire layout, but the inversions will be too tight.

^ You mean "different" or "unique" color coding?

You could say that, but going to the dark side sounds cooler :P

Finally, over a month later, I have a good amount of progress to post about. Building was slow during March, since I had PJAS meet to practice for, I had Delaware County Science Fair to work on, and I had the Delaware Valley Science fair to work on later in the month. Finally, after all of that is over and spring break ends today, here is my progress.

Here is a list of things I would like to note:
  • The angle of the track compared to the base is what I would like it to be
  • The station was a major challenge. I know I should do it last, but since this is going to be in an expo, it's important to get it out of the way (refer to pictures)
  • The base actually became thinner than expected, but also grew a foot in length
  • The amount of cars right now is 4, but I am now debating about using 5 if I can get my hands on another middle car
  • The big lift hill support was broken down and the 2 smaller lift hill supports were made (connectors were also changed to metallic blue)
  • Plans were made to make a backbone, but all were unsuccessful

Tell me what you think!!!!

Overview
Posted Image

Lift Hill Angle
Posted Image

...and release...
Posted Image

Overhead view
Posted Image

Supports
Posted Image

Lift Hill pull-in (supports are temporary and will be replaced with tubes)
Posted Image

Station and the base-to-station connection
Posted Image

Now, what could these be for....?
Posted Image

And why does one have gears for a chain, and the other doesn't....?
Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#23 Unendingride

Unendingride

Arrow Lover

• 160 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I think your going to have a chain attached to a string that loops all the way around the second lift. But, you never no. :) Overall, it looks great!

#24 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Everything is looking good. Heck you may finish this before I finish my boomerang.

Are you going to make the base into a double? or why are the 3D's upside-down?

Cheers and keep up the good work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I agree with Unending Ride. There are probably 2 strings wrapped around the really skinny part of the chain link.
PS For the extra car, you can use my tutorial. Link

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#26 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Everything is looking good. Heck you may finish this before I finish my boomerang.

i tried this kind of base and its amazing you do not have to make a double base (wich use alot of pieces) and you can easily connect tubes into it :)

#27 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I think your going to have a chain attached to a string that loops all the way around the second lift. But, you never no. :) Overall, it looks great!

You're on the right track, but not quite. Thank you!

I agree with Unending Ride. There are probably 2 strings wrapped around the really skinny part of the chain link.
PS For the extra car, you can use my tutorial. Link

Again, on the right track, but still not exactly what's happening. Thank you for posting the link for an extra car, but I don't have an extra socket for my cars. I broke my 2nd back car a few months ago and threw it out. I will look into your design and will hopefully use it in the future!

I'm debating about making a double base. I don't have the parts for it, but it would make my tube supports a lot stronger since I could extend them into the base. I'm also putting this at school and it will have to sit on a table, so the better the base, the better. Can't say your coaster helped to inspire this.

i tried this kind of base and its amazing you do not have to make a double base (wich use alot of pieces) and you can easily connect tubes into it :)

I've been using this type of base since I first joined. Double bases need to be strong, well designed, and well thought out. Even if I don't use it, this base will suffice.

I'll be posting another update in a little while once I finish the final lift support. But, what could this be? Was I up to some buying during my spring break....? Guess you'll have to find out later in the update!

Posted Image

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#28 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

... and double post!

How does everything look?

Ooooh.....
Posted Image

Ok, I'll stop dragging it on. 3 large gears, 200 brown ladder connectors and 50 grey rods.
Posted Image

Finally, it's finished.....
Posted Image

Also,

Posted Image

Look closely at the lift hill.....

It's at a 35-45* angle and I think it looks fine. The car looks so small on the lift because I'm missing another middle car. Still need to get one. It's also missing something else......
Posted Image

Hmmmm....
Posted Image

#29 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

lookin good

#30 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

I like the catch car. Very creative.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#31 kid26120

kid26120

Construction Foreman

• 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I used magnets to get the car hang on and snap off..
Can wait to see what's next

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

lookin good

Thanks!

I like the catch car. Very creative.

:P Thank you, and there's more to come! I'm surprised you figured it out that quickly, although I did try to hint it for a while now. Even when I said this:

It's also missing something else......

The catch car itself is going to be a challenge, not to go and pick the car up out of the station, but to get it to release. I don't really have an idea for that yet, but I have an idea. I'm also going to automate it, so the catch car will start it's decent while the coaster is rocking back and forth throughout the station slowing down (as the ride is ending).

I used magnets to get the car hang on and snap off..
Can wait to see what's next

I have about 25 small little cubes I'll be using (N-40) for both lifts, but I'm not revealing that just yet......

More comments? I really need to know this is good so I can move on without problems about something here in the future (lift hill angle, size, etc).

#33 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Very good, I see no problems whatsoever.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#34 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Its looking great! And I bet you're using the pieces in the fourth picture for the catwalk! ;)

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#35 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

This is looking good. You've got a talent for detail.

#36 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Very good, I see no problems whatsoever.

Thank you!

Its looking great! And I bet you're using the pieces in the fourth picture for the catwalk! ;)

Thanks! And yes those funny looking parts are for the catwalk, although the 3D piece was changed to a half-moon connector, seen in the pictures in this next update.

This is looking good. You've got a talent for detail.

Thank :D I do try my best to make my coaster as real a possible, and hopefully this next detail will be even cooler and show just how much I want this coaster to be as real as possible!

Well, not a lot of trackwork was done, but I can't say the same for the mechanics.... .... or not?

Posted Image

Well, at least the construction crew has made an appearance for once.

Posted Image

Hey, get back to work!

Posted Image

Now, what you all have been waiting for, the catch car. It's extremely complicated and too me a good 10 minutes to make. Don't worry, it's very straightforward. 2 wheel assemblies, 8 single grey connectors, 4 green rods (preferably black), hot glue, and 3, N40 Neodymium magnets.

Posted Image

Back of the car. Where does it connect...? (HINT: Magnet is black)

Posted Image

Well, looks good to me!

Posted Image

Soon there'll be a Cobra Roll, Loop, and 2nd lift hill, but for now, this will suffice.

Posted Image

#37 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I really like it! The catch car is awesome, and really resembles the real rides a lot which will be super easy to automate with the NXT for sure. The catwalks definitely add detail to it as well, and as we all know your great at that. ;)

Posted Image

#38 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Looks awesome so far! I love the catch car.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#39 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

i have to ask, what will cause the catch car to release from the train?

#40 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

^I was wondering the same.

I really like this, you put a lot of detail in the ride!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boomerang, cota, lambchopz, school, screamin serpent