200 replies to this topic

#81 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

[quote name='Dragon']Amazing! this thing is huge! can't wait till the end. :D

for the shaping i think i'ts perfect right now.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I cannot wait to see the coaster setup in the end either.

[quote name='Knexrule11']That looks a LOT better than last night, you did what I said and made it steeper. I think it looks enough like the real thing, I can see anything wrong with it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help on the shaping!

[quote name='maarten12']You're building so fast! I could do so too if we wouldn't have left for a 2 week holiday in France though ;).

The Overbank looks rather good to me, in real it is shaped pretty awkward in my opinion, but you did a good job recreating it looking at this picture :)![/QUOTE]
Thank you!

[quote name='roidurct3']So smooth... IMPOSSIBLE !![/QUOTE]
Lol. Thanks man!

[quote name='Maxwell58']I think the overbank looks perfectly fine. Fine meaning absolutely awesome.

When are you planning on doing a setup of the ride. To see if the train makes it. I wouldn't build anything else until you are sure the train makes it over the hill.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I cannot do a fill setup anytime soon because of the weather (its been pouring rain, so that doesn't help out a lot). I'm actually planning on setting up the coaster when every part has been built so I can see if it runs okay full circuit or not. If it doesn't, then I'm just going to easily fix the errors that occurred.

[quote name='SCM']This is too good, an excellent job on this. You should put all the main elements together, and do a test run, because it would suck being like "I'm finally done!" and to have the train not make it over the hill or something. I think the hill looks good at it is, too. How many X ties do you have?[/QUOTE]
As I said above, it will have to wait until the end of construction. And btw, I'm nearing halfway through my x-ties, so I have a lot!

[quote name='The Stig']Posted Image

Claude says: "Yeah. Tell me about it."[/QUOTE]
Hahahahah, that was clever.

[quote name='IOAgeek']Wow great job, it's smooth, and you do it with the gray rods, but, you layer your x ties too! I want to see a test video of this so far![/QUOTE]
Thanks! Who knows, maybe I'll give you guys a test video of when I setup a smaller portion of the ride.

[quote name='KahluaCoasters']Pretty Epic! Really cool! Great job![/QUOTE]
Thanks!

[quote name='Treeko890coastr']Your doing a very good job on this! I relly like how the overbank turned out![/QUOTE]
Thanks!

[quote name='Dragon']i don't see any difference between then they look the same.[/QUOTE]
I agree as well.

[quote name='pkiknex25']ASC, that is not a good reference picture. If you want to argue against his sideview shot, you need to match his with a sideview of the real one.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for siding with me on this one. :)

[quote name='A.S.C.']
Going to have to disagree with you there, yours is too rounded off and the entrance/exits both look too steep.[/QUOTE]
So after all of that effort of spamming this thread with a bunch of examples of how the hill is a little misshapen, here is what I'll do for you to get you off my case.
I'm going to fix the pull-in and pullout by making them a little less steep, but I am not going to mess with the crest for the crest is fine with the shape I have now. Hopefully this will satisfy you enough.

[quote name='maarten12']I did my best.

Posted Image

:)[/QUOTE]
Now that I have that, it will help with the reshaping of the pullouts. Thanks.

I thought I should go through and get these comments quoted before everyone else fills in with their opinions on this. I am just going to do an easy fix on the coaster as well as work on the next element.
I'll check back in with you guys when I get all that done.

Unless you guys think that I shouldn't change the hill's shaping, please say so.
Also, the side view isn't on the same angle that the overlay picture has.

Posted Image

#82 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Uhm, the crest is fine for sure, it actually is really accurate. I see the real ones does not have the exact same pull in as pull out. The left side in the picture above seems fine to me, you might want to fix the right side, but that's up to you :)!

Posted Image

#83 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

So after all of that effort of spamming this thread with a bunch of examples of how the hill is a little misshapen, here is what I'll do for you to get you off my case.
I'm going to fix the pull-in and pullout by making them a little less steep, but I am not going to mess with the crest for the crest is fine with the shape I have now.

So giving constructive critisism is spam now? I'm sorry, I was trying to help you make a more accurate recreation. If you don't want my input I just won't give it to you anymore.

#84 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Just re-shape the pull-in's and "out's" and it will be fine! Great coaster so far too, I must congratulate you on taking on the project, it's going to be amazing when it's done.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#85 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I think it looks good the way uou have it. I do agree with Maarten, that if you do fix it, just fix the right sidr since the rest is good. Sorry if my spellings bad, typing off my pgone and auto-correct likes too take over sometimes.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#86 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Update time!

The fixed hill with the left side changed-
Posted Image

And the second high-speed turn that comes after the overbank!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

From left to right side
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bonus cool picture!
Posted Image

So now I am thinking of going back and redoing the drop. Do you guys think I should change it to be exactly as the real one is, or leave it the same general shape I have now but put less of an angle on it than it has now?
I am personally leaning towards making it like the real thing, but I am up for doing whatever you guys think is best in order to make this build even better.

Posted Image

#87 RideOnKI

RideOnKI

BANNED

• 233 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

I say make it like the real thing is, but its your choice on what you want to do.

#88 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

When are you going to do a full assembly? It would not be wise to build moar of the coaster before you know if it will make the elements.

EDIT: Durh, didn't read the other post. Shame on me.

So much epicness though.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#89 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

I say make it like the real drop, and can we see a test video please, but it would be neat to do it like real rides do when they first test it when the layout is completed!

#90 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Apart from the X tie not being at the end of the rod (it really bugs me) I say it's perfection so far, too perfect. I'd like to criticize on things but I can't. As for the drop, since you're making a recreation, try to get as close a match to the drop as possible. I guess it's up to you. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but I say you're taking a major risk, not testing the coaster so far. Sure you can just increase the lift height, but then the train might go through elements faster than you want it to.

If you're up for it, you should paint your trains the same color as the ride. :)

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#91 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Looks Perfect except for one little thing. There is a tiny little straight pot on the left side of the camelbacks crest. Other than that your golden!

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#92 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Amazing, hill looks like the real dealio now. Same with the turn. Also, your support structure on the turn looks really sturdy, good job!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#93 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

This is shaping up to be one heck of a model. "Shaping up" ! Bwahaha!
Honestly, whenever I see these updates, I get a hint of some Diamondback with a little bit of Balrog.
You've come a long way, Dude. But I'm saving the gratz for when you're done.

#94 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

I spotted a MacBook Pro ;). I like how much effort you put into this ride, mainly that you are trying to make it look exactly like the real thing. So I would like to see the drop as the real thing too :)!

Posted Image

#95 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

A test someday will point out if there is any shaking, but the supports look sturdy. Just make the drop like you want it, it's your choice. The shaping with greys is excellent. ;)

Posted Image

#96 skimmer14

skimmer14

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

It looks like the high speed turn needs to be banked more... That's just me though :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#97 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

It looks like the high speed turn needs to be banked more... That's just me though :)

I added just a bit more because I agree with you!

It seems like a long time since I've last updated, eh?
I really have a good line of mini-updates for you guys including the last camelback, final overbank, and the reshaping of the drop.

To kick it off, the Second Camelback
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here we have the smaller and final over bank
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I just had to take a father and son picture. As you can see, they are nearly identical in the way they look, but differ in size!
Posted Image

And finally, we can see the newly shaped drop, aiming now for Leviathan's actual shaping (sorry for the dark pictures, but it is night time here and the lighting in the hallway is terrible)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Only a few more updates until I can do a final setup, so stay tuned for more!

Posted Image

#98 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

If this thing works on the first attempt, I will be very impressed. All the shaping pretty much looks fine to me, although I'm thinking your first drop might be a little steep.

I can't wait to see the full set up.

#99 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

What happens if it doesn't work? Now wouldn't that suck? I think the coaster is awesome. I would never attempt building this myself, due to the piece count and lack of skill.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#100 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

I'm quite confident that it will have enough speed. I like the improvements.