collection family fun huge newbie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oryancochran

oryancochran

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

I have collected knex for many years now and decided to dig them back out to start building with my kids. Oh but did I forget how addictive they are for the parents.

I bought my children some kid knex to get them started in the concept and just to figure out what knex really are. My kids are only (20 months) and (3 y.o.), so for choking wise that's why I started them out on the kid knex. I plan on going thru, finish sorting, and giving a piece count as time permits. Like I said two young ones single dad time is a valuable commodity.

I really like this site and have been visiting it for months reading, looking, admiring. It's site is what got me thinking about knex again and what a great addition they will be to my kids lives. My first picture here will just be an over view of what I have at this point.

I have collected since I got my first orange box Christmas 1996. Until a recent purchase, rather i traded a nintendo wii for 90% of what I have now. I had no idea how much I traded for other than I knew it weighed around 200 pounds,the man had spent his whole life and over 2000$ on ebay collecting them ( what he told me) around spring of this year I went to a flea market locally and bought around 20 pounds including a S.S and various random pieces.

I then spent about a month sorting everything from my childhood till my most recent purchases. Im now 29 years old and these things never go out of style and are still fun to have around.

The biggest mistake i made was letting my ex convince me we needed some "easy" cash so i ebayed a few items im sure one of you on this web site bought my lot of micro roller coaster chain links, there was something like 13 pounds or 1300 pf them i cant quite remember, quite a few motors ( i had 54 at one time) and a few S.S car sets, and a few manuals, ( who needs 7 S.S manual's ) but like i said im sure one of you guys have them now lol.

I look forward to building and sharing my children's and i's creations on this wonderful web site. I'm looking for a big ball factory and the original coaster to top off my collection for now, those were two sets I always wanted as a kid but were out of my parents price range for a Christmas present..

Thanks ORyan Cochran

List of my manuals, kinda gives an idea of what I have... I have enough pieces to build every set twice and some sets like the S.S. well I can build 7 of them.

The number in (#) is how many manuals and known sets I own of each set.

Super swing
Octopus whirl
Ferris wheel (small one)
Serpents spiral coaster
Dragon drop coaster (2)
Renegade run coaster
Double dare dueling coaster (2)
Saw blade thrill ride
Swing ride
Ferris wheel coaster
Hyper space training tower
Musical Ferris wheel
Loopin lizard ball machine
Starburst spinner (2)
Rippin rocket (4)
Basic set 30010 yellow book (2)
Intermediate set 50015 orange book (2)
275+ piece building set
Storm mountain
Launcher series 1 yellow book
Cobra striker
Special edition building set 25 models
Ultimate big air ball tower
Knex building set 30 models
Pirate ship park (2)
30 model building set ( different from other 30 model set )
Screamin serpent (7)
Shark run
Corkscrew canyon
Space cruisers
Cosmic invader walkers
Wings and wheels 20 model set
K- force defense station
Basic 20 model building set
Thunder raceway
Magnet fun 20 model building set
Gear action 20 model building set
Starter set green book
Knex motor pack
#10505/20505 cars with gear wheels pamphlet
Knex extreme downhill thrill

That's 56 sets that I just have manuals for I have ALOT more than what listed here as you all will see in the coming weeks. Thanks for checking this out and any feedback or friend ships will be greatly appreciated I have no friends where I live now except for the Internet...

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I always love it when people like you suddenly show up on the website. No offence to the young ones here, but for me it's a delight to talk to 'adult' members once in a while. ;)

Welcome to the forums!

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 oryancochran

oryancochran

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks! I have been reading and looking for awhile on sscoasters for awhile. I joined knex innovation and only made one post and they were a bunch of know it all smartass assholes. ( no offense to anyone who's also a member there) but one simple newbie question and I was turned off.

I really like his web site yes,,,,, I am an older member hitting 30 soon, but hopefully one day soon my kids will be posting on here. Maybe when they are old enough to red and write. I noticed in your post's people call u gump.

First question I got for ya have you ever completed your piece count of your collection. I don't know about you but once you get so many pieces. I just gave up on telling people how many pieces I have. I usually just tell them how many pounds I have.

It's like my tattoos I have lots many blend together almost all we're done separate times but are connected, so I got into the habit of just telling people how many hours of tattoo work I have (close to 25) it's A lot easier, and I believe knex to be just like the tattoos.

Unique, addictive, fun, colorful. I respect all you have done on this site, all you have built and helped people out on there builds answering there questions. It's cool to know I'm not the only 20ish something still building, relaxing, teaching, having fun with pieces of plastic.

if I post in wrong forum, break a rule, or do something not cool with how you guys run this site please let me know. I'm very easy to get along with and love to talk. I have no friends where I just moved to ( except for a 2 and 3 y.o) my kids.

My neighbor's are a mile away and I don't even know there name let alone if they wanna come "play knex" lol haven't said that in like 16 years wow! I am an adult member !!!!!!! I hope I can bring something to this web site adventually that will further help it out, help someone out, or just plain make some friends!! Thanks again for the welcome..

#4 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Damn, your posts are long. Even though we'd rather see long posts than ultra-short one-word posts, I am going to ask you to split up your text into smaller paragraphs. This is something that applies to almost every forum on the internet; people are more likely to read through a whole post when it is not an enormous wall of text. So, that's what I would like to say about that.

I have no experience with K'NEX Innovation, but I believe I have heard a couple of negative stories. I do not think any of us here feel any competition between both sites. We just try to make SSCoasters.net as fun as possible.

My piece count is currently at 330,883 pieces. I have quite some pieces up for sale, since I hardly use some of them and they only take up space. Note that I have not counted the pieces in Balrog just yet. It will be deconstructed on November 3rd, so not longer after that I can show my 'final' piece count.

New members often make mistakes, since they're not aware of the rules. Heck, I even think our rules are not that well-written. Many rules are unwritten, they are more of a community code. It is okay to make mistakes in order to learn about the rules. That's why I just explained about making posts readable. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#5 oryancochran

oryancochran

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

No worries! I good with constructive criticism. My first post I just wanted to explain me, my collection, just guess I got to excited about knex !! Second post same mistake...

This is my first on doing a forum, or even writing openly on the Internet. That's why I asked about Rights?? Wrongs?? I hope to be a productive member..

Thanks for openly accepting and answering my questions, there's many unaswered on this big of a web site. Have fun building..!!

#6 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Welcome to the site! I look forward to seeing what you can do.

We had some quarrels back with KI when we tried to make a general K'NEX site outside of roller coasters, but nothing since then. However, this is definitely the most popular place for K'NEX on the web by far.

#7 oryancochran

oryancochran

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

I really like the forums here. You all have been very nice and receptive.

I plan on a custom roller coaster Theres so much inspiration on this web site!!
No need to merge when this site is so complete and has so much more to offer..

I have a 14 foot by 50 foot ( 4.26 x 15.25 meter ) room above my garage that Is going to be dedicated to knex.! It used to be my bachelor pad!! Before kids,,,back In the day, when I used to build with knex for 14 hours a day... Seems the feelings are coming back!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, family, fun, huge, newbie