Timbuktu

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

First of all, I really like the layout so far!

The entrance into the first roll bugs me. It looks good in some pictures, but in others it looks unhearthlined (like in the 2nd picture). Can be the angle, though.

#42 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thats just plain awesomeness.
The only part that seems wierd is in the 6th picture, the valley between the rolls seem sharp, fix that and it will be fine!
Can we have a test vid also?

#43 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Others have pointed out the bump between the rolls, so I'm just emphasizing that. Also, I personally don't like the placement of the rolls. It seems too 'on the grid.' Technically it flows fine, but until this point, this coaster was brilliant. This part, not so much. Maybe if the rolls were on an angle to the launch instead of parallel?

Something to think about, obviously I'm being rather hypercritical. I would just like to see this coaster reach its full, massive potential. Technically, it's fine.

#44 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

I was not expecting to see something like this when I came back but I'm glad I did. Helmer you've done it again :D The bumps pointed out I'm sure will be an easy fix.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#45 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

nice horse shoe roll like always your elements are spectacular the stengle dive the sparp turn everything as always looks perfect great job so far

#46 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

The horseshoe roll looks amazing and so smooth dude just fix the sharp spot like they said and can we please see a test video too!

#47 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

Work of art!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#48 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

[quote name='Jumpge']I absolutely, positively, did not expect that to be next.
It looks awesome! All that I could pick out is in the 6th photo, the valley between the two rolls is a little sharp. Just smooth that out and you'll be good.[/QUOTE]

Surprise! It was an easy fix, I only had to replace one piece.

[quote name='Coastergeek987']I was so not expecting that. But it flows very well, and looks perfect![/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='SCM']Looking truly good, as always! :)
My only complaint is that, in the 2nd-to-last picture, I think the banking is a little steep on the valley. Also, the launch's blue tubing has bumps in it. I hope this won't affect the launch. I don't see anything wrong with anything else, though.
Edit:

I completely agree, couldn't of said it better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The train flies through that turn, so that is why it is banked that way. The blue tubing doesn't affect the launch. I pushed the blue tubing back in place several times now, but it always goes back into its bumpy position... :P

[quote name='Chubs33']Yes... I find this very sexy. I just don't understand how those rolls don't just deform like crazy. They seem so under supported but I know from your previous models that they are still strong.

Can we get a direct side view of the horse shoe?[/QUOTE]

Haha! Some places need a lot of supports, but the top of the roll is strong enough. I'm sorry, but I forgot. I do not build at home, so I first need to cycle to my building place. I think I can make a side-view photo of the rolls the next time I will build.

[quote name='soggyhotdoggg']What an amazing birthday present for me, a timbuktu update!!:P thanks helmer! Anyway, this looks absolutely amazing![/QUOTE]

Congratulations!

[quote name='Cardsandcoasters']Ahhh it's amazing. Love it! There's a sharp spot/bump at the lowest point between the two rolls, you can see it in the 2nd to last pic really well. Fix that and its perfect![/QUOTE]

I fixed it, thanks!

[quote name='RNB']First of all, I really like the layout so far!

The entrance into the first roll bugs me. It looks good in some pictures, but in others it looks unhearthlined (like in the 2nd picture). Can be the angle, though.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, but according to the placement of the supports it should be heartlined enough. I might look at that spot another time.

[quote name='Micro Mike 21']Thats just plain awesomeness.
The only part that seems wierd is in the 6th picture, the valley between the rolls seem sharp, fix that and it will be fine!
Can we have a test vid also?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will post a testvideo when I have the second launch working! :)

[quote name='DDRman732865']Others have pointed out the bump between the rolls, so I'm just emphasizing that. Also, I personally don't like the placement of the rolls. It seems too 'on the grid.' Technically it flows fine, but until this point, this coaster was brilliant. This part, not so much. Maybe if the rolls were on an angle to the launch instead of parallel?

Something to think about, obviously I'm being rather hypercritical. I would just like to see this coaster reach its full, massive potential. Technically, it's fine.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, you have a point. I never like to break down something I built, so I just tried to build the following elements in such a way that the rolls look less 'on the grid'. I hope you like it better now.

[quote name='CW5X']I was not expecting to see something like this when I came back but I'm glad I did. Helmer you've done it again :D The bumps pointed out I'm sure will be an easy fix.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='crazyracer']nice horse shoe roll like always your elements are spectacular the stengle dive the sparp turn everything as always looks perfect great job so far[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='IOAgeek']The horseshoe roll looks amazing and so smooth dude just fix the sharp spot like they said and can we please see a test video too![/QUOTE]

I can post a testvideo when I have built some more. Thanks!

[quote name='ForgotToGrowUp']Work of art![/QUOTE]

Thank you!

I built a buckel, followed by a hill and a turn which leads into the second launch. The second launch is almost finished but I haven't got it working yet. I will post a seperate update with a testvideo when I have the second launch working.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Overview
Posted Image

:):):)

Posted Image

#49 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I really like where you went with that!
The buckle over the stengel looks awesome and the rising turn into the launch is a pretty cool way to end the first section of the coaster.
How fast does the train go into the launch? I'm assuming pretty slow but on the other hand, the buckle, hill, and turn are pretty low compared to the horseshoe roll which makes me think that the train goes into the launch with a bit of speed.
Now for part two of the coaster!

Posted Image

#50 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

A second launch? This track is going to be like 200 feet long.... this is awesome.

#51 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

I absolutely LOVE this layout. I'm curious about what element is next!

Posted Image

#52 KBP2000

KBP2000

I love music

• 266 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Looks pretty cool! Is the launch full automatic?

Koen

Posted Image
KBP2000

#53 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ha, at first I thought it was over already. The new stuff is shaped well, and I can only imagine the possibilities for the second part of the layout.

#54 Yognog

Yognog

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

This ride is what i pictured as the best coaster!! :D You have been putting out some awesome coasters lately!!! Cant wait to see whats next.

Its me YOGNOG

#55 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

That last picture is lovely! I don't know where you are going with this launch, but otherwise I would say place the end of it closer to the entrance of the buckel. Anyways, it is looking really good :).

Posted Image

#56 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I saw pics and thought "oh, well that ended quickly". I'm so glad it's not over yet! The layout so far is great. It's one of those coasters that are just fun to look at.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#57 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I really do like everything you've built, shaping is excellent! I do however think you should add some more twisty sections before the launch, like Cheetah Hunt! But seriously, this is a great model :D.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#58 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I really like where you went with that!
The buckle over the stengel looks awesome and the rising turn into the launch is a pretty cool way to end the first section of the coaster.
How fast does the train go into the launch? I'm assuming pretty slow but on the other hand, the buckle, hill, and turn are pretty low compared to the horseshoe roll which makes me think that the train goes into the launch with a bit of speed.
Now for part two of the coaster!

Thanks! It goes into the launch with a bit of speed, but it is not a lot.

A second launch? This track is going to be like 200 feet long.... this is awesome.

Haha, thanks!

I absolutely LOVE this layout. I'm curious about what element is next!

Thank you!

Looks pretty cool! Is the launch full automatic?

Koen

No, it isn't. It is just running all the time.

Ha, at first I thought it was over already. The new stuff is shaped well, and I can only imagine the possibilities for the second part of the layout.

Thank you! I have a lay-out in mind, but I am not sure how much height I can get with the speed from the second launch.

This ride is what i pictured as the best coaster!! :D You have been putting out some awesome coasters lately!!! Cant wait to see whats next.

Thank you!

That last picture is lovely! I don't know where you are going with this launch, but otherwise I would say place the end of it closer to the entrance of the buckel. Anyways, it is looking really good :).

Yes, I moved it a bit to that direction. Thanks!

I saw pics and thought "oh, well that ended quickly". I'm so glad it's not over yet! The layout so far is great. It's one of those coasters that are just fun to look at.

Thank you! Haha, this second launch was my secret weapon for when I was low on speed.

I really do like everything you've built, shaping is excellent! I do however think you should add some more twisty sections before the launch, like Cheetah Hunt! But seriously, this is a great model :D.

I am trying to build twisty sections like you mentioned after the second launch. I really like how they look on the real ride!

This is the side-view of the horseshoe rolls, like someone asked.
Posted Image

I had a hard time trying to get the second launch work. I tried a chain launch powered with a rubberband, but the front car broke off from the rest of the train all the time and nothing helped. When I powered it with a drill, the result stayed the same. I tried a cable launch, but it was too difficult for the chaindog to hook up on the catchcar. Then I tried a tire drive launch. No one ever tried it for as far as I know. I never expected it to work, but it works! I think it looks pretty cool and realistic. It looks like the second launch on Juvelen, a new Intamin ride in Djurs Sommerland.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A testvideo.

Posted Image

#59 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

That's a pretty decent launch! I think it's an interesting concept and super awesome to see done!
Now that you'll be building the next element, we can see just how much height this launch can provide.
I think someone will be doing a recreation of Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland soon, now that you've developed that launch.

Edit- Haha, your grandparents must be thinking "What is that noise?!"

Posted Image

#60 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

i'm in love with the cleanness and professional looking tire launch. i also like the little overbank and for the twisty section i would try loads of crossovers between the track and near misses with supports.

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting