Toxic 2.0 (7/22/15)

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hello, guys! I'm back to building again! (Only an hour on weekdays and 3 hours on weekend days, though, but it's better than nothing.) So I have been planning for this coaster non-stop for over a year now. This coaster shall be called:
Posted Image
Toxic will have a total of 7 inversions. It will have both B&M and Vekoma characteristics. It stands at 14 granites. Themeing has been planned for the station area. The planned layout: Lift, pre-drop, drop, cobra roll (used to be a batwing but I decided against it due to speed and space worries), fake loop, dive loop, butterfly, overbank, corkscrew, curves, station, pre-lift curve. A fake loop is an element that (I hope) has never been done before. It's basically a mix between an immelmann and a loop, so it banks at the top but then unbanks so that it still has the shape of a loop overall. You'll see what I mean soon enough. ;) Anyway, onto the construction of the coaster itself!
Here is the um... gearwork for the lift, which I want to go really fast. I'll add another gear thing later to ensure it's strong enough. Each yellow gear is rotating two small gears.
Posted Image
Here is the station. I'm using micro pieces to save yellow and granite rods. Plus it will be better-fitting in with the themeing.
Posted Image
I'm going to smooth out and re-shape a lot of things, think of the track as a basic sketch.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Comment EXTRA harshly! :) I really want to do an excellent job on this!

Edited by SCM, 26 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#2 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Looking very nice! If I were to critique anything it would be that the drop seems a bit flat near the top. You can see it in the sixth and seventh pictures. Either pulling that out or pushing in the sharp part just below it should do the trick. The fake loop sounds very interesting, I'm eager to see how it will come out. Good luck!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#3 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

If I were you I'd take out the middle support for the lift and add one to support the area by the crest. Becasue I see your 3D connections coming apart. Your shaping looks great so far! Your best coaster yet!

Just for Lolz Kumba is 7 granite rods taller. Just as a comparison.

Edited by Rollerfreak987, 26 April 2013 - 10:04 PM.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#4 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

If I were you I'd take out the middle support for the lift and add one to support the area by the crest. Becasue I see your 3D connections coming apart.

I agree, I think that would look much better. Also, maybe you could make the place on the bottom of the lift sharper, That would probably look better. I really like the pre-drop and drop.
//Joost

Posted Image

#5 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

That's a very interesting drop! Along with what RCF said, I think you should also make the pull-in for the lift smaller and tighter. Otherwise, looks great!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#6 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

great start drop could use some adjusting like rf said and therandomguy but other than that nice start

#7 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

I think the drop is a bit steep but the turn before it looks great. Looks interesting.

Posted Image

#8 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Looking very nice! If I were to critique anything it would be that the drop seems a bit flat near the top. You can see it in the sixth and seventh pictures. Either pulling that out or pushing in the sharp part just below it should do the trick. The fake loop sounds very interesting, I'm eager to see how it will come out. Good luck!

I agree about the drop. I haven't had to the time to fix that yet, though. Thanks!

If I were you I'd take out the middle support for the lift and add one to support the area by the crest. Becasue I see your 3D connections coming apart. Your shaping looks great so far! Your best coaster yet!

Just for Lolz Kumba is 7 granite rods taller. Just as a comparison.

I just replaced the 3Ds with a half moon to save supports and pieces. Looks like this isn't much smaller than your coaster. ;) Thanks!

I agree, I think that would look much better. Also, maybe you could make the place on the bottom of the lift sharper, That would probably look better. I really like the pre-drop and drop.
//Joost

I have fixed the overall bottom of lift. I will shape it later, I ran out of time. Thanks!

That's a very interesting drop! Along with what RCF said, I think you should also make the pull-in for the lift smaller and tighter. Otherwise, looks great!

I made the pull-in smaller. Thanks!

great start drop could use some adjusting like rf said and therandomguy but other than that nice start

The drop can indeed use lots of adjusting, especially the top of it. I'll get to that later, and I may even re-build the track. Thanks!

I think the drop is a bit steep but the turn before it looks great. Looks interesting.

The drop looks steep on purpose. This is also for the layout. Thanks!

I have added tubing and further perfected the track. I hope to fix all imperfections in the track the next time I build. I have also finished the gear setup for the lift, I had to ditch the big yellow gears to normal yellow gears because it wasn't strong enough. I can't get it to work right now, but I'll fix that soon enough. Ugh, it wouldn't shape right, I'll have to re-do all the track-work. Pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Where I replaced the 3Ds with the half moons:
Posted Image
I'm going to remove those rods from the lift, looks like they're causing the sharp spots.
Posted Image
Does this look better?
Posted Image
I'm thinking of just cancelling this motor idea and just putting them on the lift itself like I did with Sky Wasp.
Posted Image
It's just that I want the track to be super smooth... I'm thinking of making the drop less steep, for in theory that will help.

Comment EXTRA harshly! :)

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#9 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Your pullout technically could be bigger, also it starts gradual and gets sharper, it should be the opposite.

#10 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

right after the turning drop there is a straight spot on the way down at the top and like DDRman said pullout could be bigger and fix that sharp spot and thats it anyways great to see you building again:D

#11 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think you should experiment with different gear connections, rather than having them rest between the two ladders. Also, there are a lot of sharp and straight spots, and the pullout is way too small.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#12 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

I've been wondering about those black rods you have in the spine at the top of your lift...... Are they flexi rods? Or are they stiff? And what you have looks pretty good :)

#13 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

looks pretty good only fix the pullout and the sharpspot on ther drop were the flexies skips 2 x-ties

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#14 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

I like the fact that you changed the 3D's on the lift to half moons. That will eliminate any bending going on when the train crests the lift.
As for the drop, there are still two straight spots that can be seen in the 1st and 2nd picture. I used my incredible Gimp skills to edit this photo for you. ;)
Spoiler

That's the general shape that will fix those straight spots! If you do that, it'll look super nice!
I really like the flow of the drop that you came up with. It dives yet turns... I don't know, but it's something like that which makes it really unique and cool to look at.

Edited by Jumpge, 28 April 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Posted Image

#15 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

right after the turning drop there is a straight spot on the way down at the top and like DDRman said pullout could be bigger and fix that sharp spot and thats it anyways great to see you building again:D

I think I've got everything you said. Thanks!

Your pullout technically could be bigger, also it starts gradual and gets sharper, it should be the opposite.

This post really helped with the pullout, do I have it right? Thanks!

I think you should experiment with different gear connections, rather than having them rest between the two ladders. Also, there are a lot of sharp and straight spots, and the pullout is way too small.

I fixed the size of the pullout so it's bigger now. I'll experiment with the gear connections later. Thanks!

I've been wondering about those black rods you have in the spine at the top of your lift...... Are they flexi rods? Or are they stiff? And what you have looks pretty good :)

The black rods are flexi rods, though I have no idea where i got them from. Thanks!

looks pretty good only fix the pullout and the sharpspot on ther drop were the flexies skips 2 x-ties

I've fixed all the sharp and straight spots on that section. :) Thanks!

I like the fact that you changed the 3D's on the lift to half moons. That will eliminate any bending going on when the train crests the lift.
As for the drop, there are still two straight spots that can be seen in the 1st and 2nd picture. I used my incredible Gimp skills to edit this photo for you. ;)

Spoiler

That's the general shape that will fix those straight spots! If you do that, it'll look super nice!
I really like the flow of the drop that you came up with. It dives yet turns... I don't know, but it's something like that which makes it really unique and cool to look at.

That picture really helped me a lot, I can't thank you enough for it. (gimp skills?) The drop is supposed to have a 'dive and turn' feel to it. Thanks!

Guys, the drop wasn't having a good day as far as shaping goes. There was always at least one straight or sharp spot SOMEWHERE on the track. Of course, the current straight spot is in the worst possible place- right on the banking. Any suggestions of how to fix it? I'm sure that by making the drop curve a bit more up at the top would fix it, but if anyone has anything better, I'll try it. If anything, I'd like to see to it that the pullout is of appropriate shape. I'm obviously still going to fix that one spot, because it's really distracting and takes away the looks of the drop IMO. Pictures of the 90% complete drop:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
lol... 1 straight spot...
Posted Image
Kind of catwalk I'll install later on.
Posted Image
Station roof itself
Posted Image
Old station roof; new station roof will be curved like the old station roof is.
Posted Image
Comment EXTRA harshly! :)
Edit: Now I have an idea, anyone think it would work? I just start un-banking near the top of the drop, and do a gradual twist towards the pullout. I'd have to change the placement of the pullout, but that wouldn't be much of problem really.

Edited by SCM, 28 April 2013 - 04:07 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#16 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Posted Image

The red arrows show two different options. You could also try to do a little bit of both red arrows for a happy medium. If you go with the second option, which is pulling the sharp spot back in, then the purple line shows how the track should look. Don't judge my use of snapchat, it makes things so much easier for me haha.

I think the pullout looks great now, maybe just a little sharp at the end? Could we get a pic of the entire drop from a side view to see for sure? The roof looks good!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#17 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

^Haha you have snapchat too?!

I agree with him too, there is really only two options unless you change the drop(but you wouldn't do that). I like the first option better, but its all up to you. Keep up the great work!

#18 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

What CAC said. Other than that, you have a great start. I'd say your pullout would look the best if you extended it about a gray rod outwards, but you have the general idea.

One thing I will say is that your supports are kind of scarce. Gray rods won't entirely reduce track deformations when a train runs over. You should try to have as many track to structure connections as possible, especially in the pullout, minimum one every granite rod. The more, the better. Try out different combinations to see what the best combination of pieces is. Also, try to build the structure as close to the track as possible.

#19 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

-image-
The red arrows show two different options. You could also try to do a little bit of both red arrows for a happy medium. If you go with the second option, which is pulling the sharp spot back in, then the purple line shows how the track should look. Don't judge my use of snapchat, it makes things so much easier for me haha.

I think the pullout looks great now, maybe just a little sharp at the end? Could we get a pic of the entire drop from a side view to see for sure? The roof looks good!

That picture really helps! I went with the right arrow, really made it look better. The sharp spot still exists on the pullout, but once I get the 1st element started, it should be non-existent. I've also got a side view like you wanted. Thanks!

^Haha you have snapchat too?!

I agree with him too, there is really only two options unless you change the drop(but you wouldn't do that). I like the first option better, but its all up to you. Keep up the great work!

Well, of course I wouldn't want to change the drop. ;) Thanks!

What CAC said. Other than that, you have a great start. I'd say your pullout would look the best if you extended it about a gray rod outwards, but you have the general idea.

One thing I will say is that your supports are kind of scarce. Gray rods won't entirely reduce track deformations when a train runs over. You should try to have as many track to structure connections as possible, especially in the pullout, minimum one every granite rod. The more, the better. Try out different combinations to see what the best combination of pieces is. Also, try to build the structure as close to the track as possible.

Are you saying extended by pushing the pullout itself a gray outward or adding another gray to the pullout? No worries, the pullout will be in its final shape next update. My supports are scarce because I want to get the shaping right before I support this like crazy, like 1 or 2 per granite. Is the track close enough to the structure yet? And thanks for commenting!

Alright, update everypony! I have nearly completed the drop, I think this is the best it's able to look, and I say this while ignoring the pullout. I have done some themeing, more specifically the catwalk and I started on the station. The catwalk's colors really go along with the lift IMO. The station should also have gates added onto it soon. Not working gates, just for show, unless I figure out a way.
Before I begin showing the update, I'd just like to show you guys the modified logo. Before I felt it was kind of boring. I think it looks much better now:
Posted Image
Catwalk:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Station: (I'm thinking of lowering the roof, would that be better? It looks a bit too tall right now.)
Posted Image
Modified drop: (The pre-drop looks a bit sharp but I'm not really worried about that)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Be warned: 1st element is a cobra roll like the one on Hydra.
Edit: (last pic) No that's probably not a ghost orb near the botton of the lift, just a dust particle. But to the right of the picture, however, it is slightly foggy, and that is a little bit suspicious... especially since I keep hearing something hitting the wall at night near that spot.

Edited by SCM, 04 May 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#20 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

The catwalks and new drop both look great! The drop is much much MUCH better! Just add more support.