cedar point gatekeeper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Interesting day, yesterday. I traveled up to cedar point as a helper for our middle school band program with my friend. I got a deeply discounted ticket and a ride up, so I was happy with it, although I was only able to be in the park from 12-8:30. Being a saturday the park was pretty crowded, but I don't really have any other day I could go so I was fine with what I got. We only got three rides in, but IMO they were the three best rides in the park.

We got their at 12 and went straight to Gatekeeper. This was probably not my best Idea but it was a gamble. The line was 90 minutes, and in hopes that it wouldn't get longer through the day I decided just to go for it. This deviated from my original plan to ride TTD first then go back to Gatekeeper in hopes the line will have died down. Well, the line died down as we were waiting, so we ended up with the short end of the stick.

The ride is absolutely amazing. I read online that it has A LOT of negative reviews. People say it didn't live up their expectations and the wait is entirely too long and boring. I will tell you to ignore all of this and just ride it. I rode on the left side around the middle and I would recommend that seat to anyone. Unfortunately I only got to ride it once due to crowds and the fact that I was chaperoning a middle school band and therefore had limited time in the park. The keyholes I would not say are intense but they are fun and interesting to go through. My favorite part of the ride was being flung over the drop at the beginning and getting some nice hangtime. On the left there are a couple of points where I felt like I could touch the ground, too. Overall it was a really good ride, very smooth and has a very modern feel. The only thing to keep in mind with this and probably all wingriders is that you don't actually feel like you are on a wing for most of the ride. The first drop was the only point were I actually felt flung around, the rest of the ride I may have well been over the track. Granted, there is nothing above you and nothing below you, which is amazing, and you can see the track next to you which makes the keyholes effective.

On a separate note this ride has totally changed the entire feel of the park. To me it felt completely different with the new, modern looking entrance with a roller coaster flying overhead. People often judge things on their first impressions, and with the new landscaping in the front Cedar point clearly comes across as a modern, thrill oriented park, and that actually affected my entire day their and how I judged everything in the park. I personally like it a lot.

After Gatekeeper we ate Panda Express and watched Millennium Force get stuck on the lift. We did not get in line. I don't really like that ride. When I rode it a couple years ago it didn't compare to Diamondback at Kings Island, especially on the first drop. I was met with the same disappointment last year when I rode it again, so I opted not to ride it right away and to consider coming back later. I'm glad I didn't get on since I only got 2 other rides throughout the day.

We went to maverick after we ate. I learned that my friend had never ridden it before despite coming to the park a couple of years before. I also learned that he has a habit of getting very nervous as he waits in line and is actually very scared of roller coasters. Naturally the 95 degree drop scared the crap out of him, but he enjoyed the ride a lot. He's tall so he didn't have this problem, but my ears still hurt from the restraints. After a 2 hour wait we rode in the front row (he was not happy with me for this) and by the end it was kind of painful to watch what was coming up because of my ears. Remember to lean forward when you ride that coaster.

My all time favorite roller coaster is Top Thrill Dragster. By riding this as our last coaster I may have traumatized my friend. I wasn't being nice about it, either, but my friend wanted to ride more than he said and rode anyway. As usual it was amazing, and despite me taunting him with the scariest facts about the roller coaster, my friend thanked me for making him ride. We waited in a 90 minute line, but it ended up being closer to 2 hours since the ride broke down 3 times within five trains of each other. After this it was about 7:30 so we decided to just eat then check in back on the buses. Overall, I had a lot of fun. Sure, CP is a big park and I would have been happy to ride a lot more rides since there are a lot there, but I'm glad I rode the rides that I did and left the park content with myself.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Sounds like you had a great and fun time there. I want to ride gatekeeper sometday too and mf and ttd are amazing right front row for each too and I ride them twice in all for the day last year!

#3 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Queues up to 90 minutes and even 2 hours would seriously piss me off on such a day, at least it's nice to hear you have had a great day :)!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cedar point, gatekeeper