#21 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

I agree, shuttle loop coaster.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#22 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I think it is Eclipse from Six flags Grand Rapids. ;)

Looks good alex!

Posted Image

#23 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

shuttle loop coaster!

Correct!

I agree, shuttle loop coaster.

Yes but which one?

I think it is Eclipse from Six flags Grand Rapids. ;)

Looks good alex!

I don't know, that wouldn't make any sense...

Since Josh "guessed" it, I am building a replica of the rollercoaster "Eclipse" from our amusement park. Well, since I have been focusing more on the structure the past few days, here is how far I got today:

Posted Image

Comment!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#24 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

cool, but is there going to be support at the top of the lift.

Posted Image

#25 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

cool, but is there going to be support at the top of the lift.

I will let the pictures do the talking!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Can you give us a tag to this Eclipse roller coaster so we can see the real thing? Also, the project looks awesome! Keep it up. :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#27 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

^It is part of our amusement park, here is the link.

Six Flags Grand Rapids Amusement Park - SSCoasters Rides Database

Posted Image

#28 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Whenever I look at this thread I get the feeling that all previous attempts at CAD modelling rides or K'NEX pieces have been forgotten. You're doing a great job, don't get me wrong, but things just seem to come by and are never remembered afterwards. It just would be nice if people would compare previous attempts and give criticism towards them. Like knex-man, he did a great job at getting everything extremely detailed, yet is such a way that it was properly optimized in SolidWorks, I'm kind of missing out on the detailing here, yet nobody seems to remark anything about rounding over edges which was absolutely marvelous in knex-man's work.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

So, Eclipse is like the exact same coaster as Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's Berry Farm except a different color? Montezuma's Revenge (HD POV) Knotts berry farm - YouTube :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#30 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Can you give us a tag to this Eclipse roller coaster so we can see the real thing? Also, the project looks awesome! Keep it up. :D

Thanks!

^It is part of our amusement park, here is the link.

Six Flags Grand Rapids Amusement Park - SSCoasters Rides Database

Yup, it is the last standing ride from Six Flags Grand Rapids. For this coaster, Josh built the track, and I made the coaster work with an automatic shuttle lift hill.

Whenever I look at this thread I get the feeling that all previous attempts at CAD modelling rides or K'NEX pieces have been forgotten. You're doing a great job, don't get me wrong, but things just seem to come by and are never remembered afterwards. It just would be nice if people would compare previous attempts and give criticism towards them. Like knex-man, he did a great job at getting everything extremely detailed, yet is such a way that it was properly optimized in SolidWorks, I'm kind of missing out on the detailing here, yet nobody seems to remark anything about rounding over edges which was absolutely marvelous in knex-man's work.

I understand what you are saying - that people's attempts get ignored. I know that Jogumpie modeled some parts a while back also, and that Sam modeled them too. I am not familiar with Knex-man's work, I looked for it but could not find it. I modeled my own parts for this class and because if I was to download the parts from someone else, I would be downloading an uneditable part (all other attemps have been in Solidworks, I am using Inventor. I would be downloading a .STEP file.) In regards to detail, I'll admit my parts were very blocky at the start. Now that I have verified that all of my parts are made correctly, I have included fillets and rounds. I'll finish up detailing with the next update and maybe include some closeups.
I will always appreciate criticism, so if you notice something wrong with my parts or something to be improved, let me know.

So, Eclipse is like the exact same coaster as Montezuma's Revenge at Knott's Berry Farm except a different color? Montezuma's Revenge (HD POV) Knotts berry farm - YouTube :D

Not quite. Eclipse isn't launched. Here is a link to a video of how Eclipse runs:

Update!

So, recently I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on this project, my calculus 3 class gives a lot of homework. Also, ever since the Engineering Graphics 1 class started on CAD, my teacher who isn't very knowledgable in Inventor and AutoCAD (new program, since I work on it everyday I know more about it) has been assigning me to teach lessons periodically and classmates come to me for help all the time.

Enough excuses, here's what I got done:

• Track connector drawn
  • Built the structure and base for the automation

I drew the cross-tie by doing a combination of in-program measurements, real life measurements with a dial caliper, and a little bit of guesswork. The result is an accurate cross-tie that works in the program the same way that the connector connects in real life.

Building the automation structure was interesting. When you are building and modifying automation with knex, a ton of redundant and useless pieces are abandoned deep in the automation. So in the cad model, I was able to elliminate the redundancies, which is good. Leftover pieces are proof you made it better.

Pictures!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comment!

#31 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Wow, that's some awesome work. Well done. Also, for the tubing, will you be doing the sweep command when you get to that?

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#32 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Wow, that's some awesome work. Well done. Also, for the tubing, will you be doing the sweep command when you get to that?

Thanks, and yup!

For the Tubing, I drew the cross section of the tubing, and drew a 3d sketch that was the path of the tubing. I found the dimensions of the tubing by measuring between set cross-ties. Then I used a spline curve to accurately model the tubing. To be able to fix the crossties to a specific spot on the track, I first arrayed work points along the tubing, and already had work points on the crosstie. I then simply constrained the points to each other and constrained the axis of the connection point of the crosstie (normal to the face of the cross-tie) to another point on the tubing.

This allowed me to get the pull-out done!

I also messed around more with rendering in inventor, and realized that rendering animation like I plan might take weeks. I'm even on a new computer!

Other news, my school is getting a 3d printer, a makerbot!!!! I can't wait to print some parts and see how well they work with real knex! I'll post some pictures when I get there.

So, some renders (I was messing around with the render settings)

The track wasn't made in this picture, but it was a pretty nice picture nonetheless.
Posted Image

Pullout:
Posted Image

Pullout in illustration mode:
Posted Image

Automation base closer look:
Posted Image

Comment!!

#33 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

This is looking very, very cool! Keep up the good work! :D

#34 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

This is looking very, very cool! Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks!

Quick update: I started working on making the gears, and I made them so that the cogs mesh perfectly. See the video!

Comment!

#35 BobbyJackT

BobbyJackT

Rippin Rocket Builder

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

That is so cool!

#36 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wow this looks awesome how the hell did u make this software or find it this is awesome we can test and design are coasters in the future, to bad all trains are different so it cant help u out with that feature ugh whatever, can u do top thrill dragster with this software to please even though u already built the recreation last year, btw.

#37 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

^Ive actually used this software before and it would take such a long time to do that.

What year of Inventor do you use?
Also, I congratulate you for doing this. I remember trying to do the simplest of things on this software and it failed epically.

Great job!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#38 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

That is so cool!

Thanks!

Wow this looks awesome how the hell did u make this software or find it this is awesome we can test and design are coasters in the future, to bad all trains are different so it cant help u out with that feature ugh whatever, can u do top thrill dragster with this software to please even though u already built the recreation last year, btw.

I won't build Top Thrill Dragster. The software is Inventor, I use it through my school.

^Ive actually used this software before and it would take such a long time to do that.

What year of Inventor do you use?
Also, I congratulate you for doing this. I remember trying to do the simplest of things on this software and it failed epically.

Great job!

Inventor Pro 2014, the newest and best.

Brief update: I made the body for the front car. I will now proceed to make the rest of the train.

Pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comment!

#39 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Great job on the coaster car. It looks perfect!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#40 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

That is beautiful dude, just beautiful. Have you experimented all with more complex track paths? I don't if I've mentioned this before, but the Nolimits construction kit allows you to export nolimits track files as 3d object. Could be something to play around with if you even do a complete coaster.