3d printing automation cad inventor knex

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

The loop looks much better now. Plus I think one of the reasons it looked so weird is because of the fact that it isn't a very big loop, yet it still has to be a certain width. Therefore, the loop would look much wider than normal. Anyways, hope that "few weeks" goes by fast, I can't wait for another update! :)

Thank you! I've been busy, and haven't been able to get much done on this.

The loop does seem to be much better now. Just wondering, I decided to just try making parts myself for now. Do you have any tips on making them?

I will release both the stem files and the inventor files, but make sure you use a caliper for measurements, and then after making a few pieces, take measurements in the program.

The loop.... Isso perfect. Maybe when I'm in High school I'll do this.

Make sure you pick a small coaster that is very boxy. It is a pain to make the track curve.

Quick update: I have been working on this periodically, and I got some more renderings done. I am holding off on renderings of the automation because I had it complete, but then a middle schooler destroyed my flashdrive. I started redoing it yesterday. Enjoy the pretty pictures.

I moved this file to an album, so here it is again.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comment!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#62 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

I haven't been following this for a while, but this looks incredibly good! I especially love how all the different parts of the train fit together so well, lots of detail there!

Posted Image

#63 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

I've never had somebody destroy my drive, but I caught a kid messing with my files when I left it behind in class and had to go back for it. I was pissed. Thankfully, his damage was minimal.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#64 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

What did they do to destroy it?

Anyway this looks amazing! :D Wish I could make something like that!

#65 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

Man, this looks so impressive. How many ours of designing have gone into the design of the train?

Posted Image

#66 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Wow.... I an so impressed with everything. AND THE TRAIN IS SEXY!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#67 TheSennaj

TheSennaj

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

its very simple, and if its failed try to download one of those from teh pirate bay, and if nothing works for you im sure you can build something nice out of a screaming serpent.

#68 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

I haven't been following this for a while, but this looks incredibly good! I especially love how all the different parts of the train fit together so well, lots of detail there!

Thanks!

I've never had somebody destroy my drive, but I caught a kid messing with my files when I left it behind in class and had to go back for it. I was pissed. Thankfully, his damage was minimal.

Same here. I didn't lose everything, I had a backup from a few weeks before.

What did they do to destroy it?

Anyway this looks amazing! :D Wish I could make something like that!

The kid literally snapped the memory stick in half. o.O
You could, if you put your mind to it! If you do though, I highly suggest a small coaster.

Man, this looks so impressive. How many ours of designing have gone into the design of the train?

The train, maybe 20-30 hours. It took a few weeks at school.

Wow.... I an so impressed with everything. AND THE TRAIN IS SEXY!!!!

Haha thanks!

its very simple, and if its failed try to download one of those from teh pirate bay, and if nothing works for you im sure you can build something nice out of a screaming serpent.

Uh, what? Welcome to the forums.

So, I finished all the assembling. Unfortunately, animation is not an option for my amount of time and the speed of the computers I am on. It was tedious and I was encountering problems. So, I just got right onto rendering. I am very happy with how it turned out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Comment!

#69 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

It looks amazing. It really shows the possibilities of CAD in k'nex. :)

#70 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

This looks so impressive. Haven't you actually built a coaster like this in real for Six Flags Grand Rapids?

Posted Image

#71 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I absolutely love the aerial view. Everything looks fantastic.
^ Yes, it was eclipse. He's just remaking it. ;)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#72 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Wow I love the sky view as well.

K`nex always for life ;)

#73 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

It looks amazing. It really shows the possibilities of CAD in k'nex. :)

Thanks!!

This looks so impressive. Haven't you actually built a coaster like this in real for Six Flags Grand Rapids?

Thank you, yes, this is a remake of Eclipse from Six Flags Grand Rapids. It is slightly different, it was optimized in the program. Less redundant parts.

I absolutely love the aerial view. Everything looks fantastic.
^ Yes, it was eclipse. He's just remaking it. ;)

I was really happy with the rendering also.

Wow I love the sky view as well.

Thanks!

So, I have a few more renderings for you, and I uploaded the STEP files as promised. They are now on GrabCAD. I tried to upload the rollercoaster in a STL file, but I don't think that the website will upload it, the file is 1.3 GB. I'll try to export the rollercoaster to a STEP file also. Hopefully it won't be as big as the STL.

Posted Image
Posted Image
The image above is 8 images stitched together. Each image took 2 hours to render.

Knex Parts:
https://grabcad.com/...ry/knex-parts-1
Rollercoaster project:
https://grabcad.com/...rollercoaster-1 (At the moment there is only the train uploaded. Give me a bit, I will upload the rollercoaster model too.)

Comment!

#74 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

I just downloaded all the files and I can open them in solid edge. I have to say you put a lot of effort into this, the battery pack is super detailed!

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#75 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Looks seriously amazing. The detail in every part is crazy! :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#76 frosb013

frosb013

92% of teens have moved o

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

So is this project still working or is it ended?

#77 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Dang, too bad I didn't see this earlier or last night so I could've downloaded it to the computer in my CAD class. Guess i'll just have to wait till monday. Oh well, I can wait. Awesome job alpal.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#78 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I can't seem to find the file for the yellow rod. Did you possibly forget to put that one with the others to download?

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#79 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's a shame I'd have to register an account for the downloads. Are you familiar with the website Wetransfer.com?

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png