• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

It's been a while since Summer Heat and the cold days are upon us. Here is is the official announcement of the Winter Contest 2013/2014! Note that the deadline isn't until the end of January, so you will have plenty of time to build specifically for this contest. Here are the rules:

The Winter Contest has always had a goal to make it accessible to everyone on the forums, so we have a size restriction!

- 5x5x5
This year we will once again go with the classic 5x5x5 grey rod cube contest! Your ride must fit in a cube with edges of 5 grey rods long (5 orange rods for micro k'nex) (including 6 connectors). It is not necessary to build this whole cube, but you can be asked to do so, if it is unclear whether the roller coasters fits or not. Please note that motors should be inside the cube, but power adapters can be outside the cube.

- Limitation on non-K'NEX items
This Winter Contest does not allow non-K'NEX additions, including, but not limited to, Arduino microcontrollers, Lego NXT modules and power drills. In contrast to this, we DO allow rubber bands, surgical tubing and material for adding weight to your trains. If in doubt, ask a staff member.

- Theming
Because this is a friendly contest for everyone to enjoy you get serious bonus points for theming. Even if your building skill doesn't match the veterans or the ones carrying a builder tag you can still make a name by having some awesome scenery around your coaster! Judging will be based on both lay-out and theming! Theming can contain non-K'NEX items, as long as they do not affect the roller coaster's performance. An often used example is cotton balls to resemble snow.

Judging will be done by the staff, not by the users. Instead of voting in a poll, users will be able to post their choice with a reasoning why that model should win. The staff will take the opinions of the users into account and combine these with our own, professional opinions, to decide on the ultimate winner of this contest.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask in this thread.

We give you about 2.5 months to get your models in. The deadline for the SSCoasters Winter Contest 2012/2013 is January 26th, 2014 (Sunday). By then we want all models in the database and added to the entry thread!

Edited by The Stig, 07 November 2013 - 01:24 PM.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Woot! Looks like I'll have something to do over break!

#3 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I will definitely enter. Not sure if it'll be standard or micro but ill enter!

Any word on TM #3?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#4 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

think I might.. pitch in with my final (aka my second/third) model

#5 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

I want to enter, but I can't:'( Nos is going to take untill january or febuary (I can't build very much untill I get my knexpert peices, in mid january), only maybe 1 or 2 updates untill then. Maybe ill go for top model #1 of 2014?!?!

#6 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think Firehawk might be able to wait. Not sure though...

#7 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

I really hope I actually get to build one of these eventually. This year won't work though. *sigh*

#8 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think I will enter with a micro coaster. It would be great for me because I have a limited amount of Knex pieces! :D Also, VV Coaster Big Loop is not cancelled. I changed the loop into a weird immelman and then a corkscrew. Anyways, this looks like a nice Winter Contest. :D

1. Maverick 2. Millennium Force 3.Top Thrill Dragster 4. Bizarro (Six Flags New England) 5. The Beast 6. X2 7. Full Throttle 8. Banshee 9. Xcelerator 10. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

Posted Image

#9 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Any word on TM #3?

We're far past our window for that so we might have to let this one slip and incorporate it with TM #1.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

i'll enter a wooden coaster, but I want to know if you can make 2 coasters inside of the 5x5x5 box.

Posted Image

#11 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

i'll enter a wooden coaster, but I want to know if you can make 2 coasters inside of the 5x5x5 box.

Yes you can, but there is a strong focus on theming in the Winter Contest!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Sounds familiar ;)

It feels like just a few weeks ago I was building a coaster for the last winter contest. Where did the year go!?

Check me out

Youtube

#13 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

UPDATE: Both track types (SS and VV) now share the same size restrictions.

EDIT: ...Which is 5 grays.

Edited by The Stig, 05 November 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#14 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Will they be judged in the same competition or will they be judged separately?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#15 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sounds familiar ;)

It feels like just a few weeks ago I was building a coaster for the last winter contest. Where did the year go!?

Haha! I've got that feeling too, actually with every year. Time seems to go so quickly. Anyways, I'm hoping for some great entries this year just like the past few years with the Winter Contest :).

Posted Image

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Will they be judged in the same competition or will they be judged separately?

There will only be one winner, so they are judged the same.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Haha! I've got that feeling too, actually with every year. Time seems to go so quickly. Anyways, I'm hoping for some great entries this year just like the past few years with the Winter Contest :).

Get used to it boys. By the time you reach my age years go by like weeks and you find yourself saying "was that really 30 years ago?? Seems like yesterday" It's most alarming when you look at kids. For instance my daughter was only 6 when I started playing with KNex with her. Now she is in high school! And sometimes I run into old friends of mine who are now grandparents and they last time I saw their kids they were in grammar school!

Enjoy your youth to it's fullest extend.

Oh yeah, and NEVER grow up!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#18 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Wait, I'm confused. For VV, it's five blue rods? Or five orange rods? Because with the regular sized knex the gray rods are the longest, so with VV it should be five orange rods?

#19 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I believe it's 5 standard gray rods now.

#20 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Alright now VV has the same size restriction as SS! I was hoping for something else but I guess this is okay, it was pretty fun last year.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: helmut wellenflug