beethoven cable lift drill launch magnetic brakes

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

This is going to be a large scale project. After getting some practice with tube supports and how to build stronger, more properly shaped track,I am going to go for a larger scale project. I have 100 feet of track tube on the way and another RR set which will hopefully be enough to finish this project. Unfortunately, Revelator has been cancelled.

The ride will be innovative in several ways -

>A new track design, with the goal in mind to strengthen the track and reduce the need of many supports ;most notably on the lift hill.

>An automated cable lift system

>A magnetic braking system similar to ones seen on early coasters such as Millennium Force, Goliath, Super ROS, etc.

I'm trying to make this entertaining, so I'm slowly going to leak details of the coaster. Here's the first update.

Posted Image
The main support, for something, standing about 6'5. Now now...I know what you're thinking. It's not sturdy. Well, surprisingly, it is sturdy with minimal sway. Additionally, two further supports will be added which will make this structure very stable.

Posted Image
The base of the tower. You can see a lot of internal supports bracing the main tubes which helps keep it well grounded.

Posted Image
Here is one of the most important parts to the structure- notice the green rods that run straight through the ladders in the tube supports. This was a huge pain to build, but, they are highly important to ensuring the structural integrity of the support. Also, the white rods connecting the two main tube supports together do wonders.

Posted Image
Some pieces waiting to be lifted to the top of the support.These are the individual tube supports the coaster will use for parts that need extremely strong supports. They are extremely annoying to make and it's rather frustrating, but sadly, a lot will be needed.

Posted Image
A look from near the top. It stays pretty true and straight.

Posted Image
This is the reinforced track. It is very stable and hopefully will reduce the need for many supports. This piece is almost ready to be lifted up.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#2 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Looks very interesting. However, I don't think that you can get away with not using at least one tube support for the crest, despite using a backbone. You're going to need to support it more in a certain way to reduce side-to-side motion on the lift hill and drop.
Other than that, this looks pretty good so far.

ReadThisBackwards

Me is CLK 10...So I Be Building Dem Tube Supports

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Coaster! Yay! http://www.sscoaster...-coaster-16747/

#3 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

That is a small crest, unless you're doing some sort of Intamin blitz or something

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#4 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

I actually like your crest. Reminds me of every Intamin gigacoaster ever :) You do have quite a large empty space near the crest through. You may want to add a crosstie or two.

#5 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

UPDATE

Things have been moving slowly but surely on this project. It has proven to be very, very frustrating for me so far but I'm happy with what I have so far. The re-enforced track design will be used throughout the entire circuit I've decided for ultimate speed preservation and stability. The lift is nearly done and after the two main supports have been connected by the lift track, I'm happy with how sturdy it is.

Posted Image
The overall progress so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the shape of the crest

Posted Image
I made this small hill as well, it will be installed further down the line somewhere in the circuit

Posted Image
Another view of the airtime hill. Once the tube track is installed it should smooth out more

Posted Image
Some 'specialized' pieces on standby waiting for installation.

Posted Image
Overall look at the progress. Minimal sag on the lift ^_^

Posted Image
From a different angle

Posted Image
A look from ground view of the start of the drop

Posted Image
Another view from the front

Posted Image
And again....

Posted Image
It took forever to build the main box support for under the track but it was well worth it .

Posted Image
There's a few kinks I need to work out but for the most part the lift is straight

Posted Image
The secret to minimal sag- I've zip tied a copper pipe into the internal structure of the box support. Not only does it strengthen the crap out of the support, but it is also going to serve as a clean cable return guide for the cable lift system.

Any questions or suggestions greatly appreciated!

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#6 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

The curve upwards on the airtime hill looks too sharp and small. Fix it and it'll be better.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#7 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Your crest looks awfully sturdy, but you've reached nearly vertical at only 1/4 of the way down on the drop, which might look a bit strange when finished.
Otherwise it looks pretty good!

#8 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

• 890 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

I agree with ^, like I said before that crest is really small.
I like the way it looks so far.

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#9 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

I was thinking that you should try to elongate the crest to a more proportional state. And also, try to fix the bump on the beginning of the crest (my OCD is driving me crazy). Other than that, the coaster looks good so far.

ReadThisBackwards

Me is CLK 10...So I Be Building Dem Tube Supports

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Coaster! Yay! http://www.sscoaster...-coaster-16747/

#10 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ! I'm at a loss how to elongate the crest right now, because there is literally no where else to go with the crest. The reason it is the shape it is right now is because I've reached the ceiling, I cant move it up any. And additionally, the only other option would be to lower the main support which would require modifying basically everything at this point because the other support at the lower level would need to move.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#11 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

• 890 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

You don't need to raise or lower it you just need to stretch it out

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#12 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

The airhill needs much bigger pullouts. I've also made a picture for you.

The red is the shape you have now.
The black is the shape you should have with the structure you have already built.
The green is a more preferable radius.
The orange is just to show you that connecting the two structures would solve most of your problems. Just connect the crest structure directly to the lift structure, and get rid of the green 145* connector section

Posted Image

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#13 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

UPDATE: Progress has been moving slowly but surely. I've been taking way too long on this project but it's coming along. I've had to order many more pieces already for this which has delayed things considerably. Any feedback and comments welcome!

Posted Image
The airtime hill under construction.

Posted Image
Another view of the airtime hill half done and the spine being used under all the trackwork.

Posted Image
Overview of progress

Posted Image
View of the completed airtime hill and overbank turn in progress

Posted Image
Another view of the overbank and airtime hill

Posted Image
Overall progress so far

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#14 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

your gonna want to raise that overbank...

#15 Jay 314

Jay 314

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

I really like the style of tube supports for this coaster! Also the large air hill has some sharp spots, and I think you should make the over bank a little taller and more spread out. But other wise I really like it!

#16 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

your gonna want to raise that overbank...

Agreed the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking it's too tight.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#17 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:58 AM

Quick update - I'm working mostly on developing accurate eddy current brakes for the coaster right now. There is a thread in the general construction section regarding this. I have also fixed some shaping on the overbank but I'm still tweaking with it.

Posted Image
Here's a preview of the eddy current brakes. I'm working on a way to mount a fin to the side of the coaster car. Based on preliminary testing, I have a feeling these magnets are so strong the train would stop by the end of the strip even if you dropped it from the top of the lift hill. Time will tell

Posted Image

The drop after the first airtime hill. I'm content with this

Posted Image
The first drop. I did my best to shape out the crest better. I'm "kind of" content with this

Posted Image
A look at the overbank... I'm not too content with this shaping

Edited by Beethoven, 06 January 2015 - 05:11 AM.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

#18 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

have you weighted your train? if you havent adding weights will increase your speed giving you a longer layout (in theory) and like i said before i still think the over bank needs to be raised AT LEAST a gray rod

#19 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

The overbank could use some work, yes. The crest should be easy to fix. You really just need to prop up the straight part to make it a more consistent curve. You could get away with a big crest as a "design choice".

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Beethoven

Beethoven

Construction Worker

• 45 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

have you weighted your train? if you havent adding weights will increase your speed giving you a longer layout (in theory) and like i said before i still think the over bank needs to be raised AT LEAST a gray rod

A long gray rod or the short one you mean? (the one that also comes in yellow)

Either way, I'm not happy with the overbank and will probably completely redo it.
http://vid1027.photobucket.com/albums/y340/ValkyrieCoasters/10902593_10153004985449907_1507633925_n_zpsvfhic2r g.mp4
Also here's a video of the brakes in action, with the train bein dropped from a little less than half the lift hill.

Edited by Beethoven, 07 January 2015 - 08:07 PM.

ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beethoven, cable lift, drill launch, magnetic brakes