• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi all!

Having been set up for several months, it was finally time for Vortex to depart for something new!

G5VGz8r.png

So what's next? Well in a nutshell:

5lQL0Xv.png

For my next build, I wanted to go further than Vortex, and create something truly unique (which will hopefully work) in terms of VV. Just for fun, I'm letting you guess what exactly will be so unique about this ride! Here are some teasers - I honestly don't know whether this will be obvious, or impossible, although I suspect it'll probably be the former...
With a bit of coaster knowledge you should be able to get most of these!

jaCXyD8.png

In total there'll (hopefully) be:
-One never seen before feature
-2 Features unique to micro K'nex
-2 other special features!

Anway, onto construction:

5sc1ALW.png

Thanks to everyone's support and invaluable tips, I'll be trying to make this ride as strong as possible, which starts with the base!

iuEgrWg.png

HQ0A2f8.png

Just a few pieces will be required for this ride!

2mo0Ocv.png

What's this structure?

CElyLV1.png

More!

aHbZqP2.png

And finally, a few tubes. Oh and catwalks, which I won't be needing for this one...

Thanks for taking the time to have a look! Enjoy guessing... :)

Edited by Batwing, 20 November 2015 - 04:14 PM.
to change topic title

#2 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

This looks like it will be very cool! Will this be automatic, or will it be turned I with a switch?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#3 CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

loves the new acronym

• 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's very interesting that you have that ying-yang symbol in the corner of each picture, and fire and water in the teaser. I'm intrigued to see what the theme of this ride will be.

#4 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Dueling B&M flyer?!?!
Sweet.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#5 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'm super excited to see this. Great teaser hints! An awesome introduction to the build for sure.

Posted Image

#6 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

A dueling flying coaster with an elevator lift? Very interesting.

#7 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Guys, c'mon. It's obviously a standup laydown coaster that has wooden supports and an elevator lift and is dueling. :P

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#8 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the comments! (I really wasn't expecting that many!) Anyway, you've managed to correctly guess two of the features, but I'm not going to give away any of the others yet ;)

This looks like it will be very cool! Will this be automatic, or will it be turned I with a switch?

Thanks! As much as I'd love to be able to automate it, what I have in mind is probably a little complex for it!

It's very interesting that you have that ying-yang symbol in the corner of each picture, and fire and water in the teaser. I'm intrigued to see what the theme of this ride will be.

So it is...but tbh, I'm not yet fully decided on the theme...they were largely there to hint at the dueling aspect.

Dueling B&M flyer?!?!
Sweet.

Well, it is dueling, but unfortunately, it's not a flyer! The question is, how may new coasters can you complete in the time it takes me to build this ;)

I'm super excited to see this. Great teaser hints! An awesome introduction to the build for sure.

Thanks a lot! I suppose I'm super excited to build it too!

A dueling flying coaster with an elevator lift? Very interesting.

I hope it will be interesting! And it will have a dual elevator lift ;)

Guys, c'mon. It's obviously a standup laydown coaster that has wooden supports and an elevator lift and is dueling. :P

Dammit! How did you know? That doesn't even make sense....oh, and the wooden supports are just for elements at 'ground level' - I'll use tubes elsewhere.

New hints and new construction photos

So yes, the coaster will duel, and feature an elevator lift -pretty certain an elevator lift hasn't been attempted before with a full circuit coaster. Then again, they may be a reason for that....

The other 3 are probably harder to get, so here's a few more hints.

Here are the coasters you need to know about in order to get this clue:
Cobra - La Ronde (Montréal, Québec, Canada)
Batwing - Six Flags America (Upper Marlboro, Maryland, USA)
Smiler - Alton Towers (Alton, Staffordshire, England, UK)

How many sides does a strip of paper have? Is it always the same...?

Just because the plane is flying does not mean it's a flying coaster! A certain pictured European fighter plane is the key to this one...

Anyway, enough of that, time for Construction

Posted Image

The elevator lift is very nearly at full height - just the roof to go now!

Posted Image

The view from the top!

Posted Image

Both sides of the coaster are now visible!

Posted Image

Posted Image

More track! But why is it a different colour?

Posted Image

And now, the big reveal! This is why the ying yang is red and green...because it represents the two sides of the track!

Posted Image

What do you think of the colour combination?

Thanks everyone! Keep those guesses coming... :)

(I will reveal the answers at some point, promise!)

#9 CCI

CCI

Getting Furious in 2015

• 2019 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

So far I got clue 3 and 4.

3: Elevator(US) Lift(UK) so an elevator lift?
4: Its a Eurofighter Typhoon. So elements of a Eurofighter?

Posted Image

l El Toro l Fury325 l I305 l Skyrush l RFII l

DEY TUK ER JERBS!!

My RCT2 Projects!

RCT2 Help/Download

#10 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

This will be an amazing with the lift and all the cool things elements and whatnot you are planning on doing. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I can't really concentrate/think right now. Go build stuff!

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#11 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

It's looking great so far! Isn't the plane called a eurofighter? It's capable of a vertical take off, maybe that's it. I'm excited to see the track work. I believe that Maarten12 built an elevator lift with some sort of Winter theme once.

EDIT: Ah, I found it. http://www.sscoaster...605/index3.html

Edited by CowmanBearPig, 09 November 2014 - 09:29 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#12 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

So far I got clue 3 and 4.

3: Elevator(US) Lift(UK) so an elevator lift?
4: Its a Eurofighter Typhoon. So elements of a Eurofighter?

Right on both counts sir! Now turn your attention to the rest of the clues ;)

This will be an amazing with the lift and all the cool things elements and whatnot you are planning on doing. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I can't really concentrate/think right now. Go build stuff!

Haha - well it made sense to me! I am indeed building more stuff!

It's looking great so far! Isn't the plane called a eurofighter? It's capable of a vertical take off, maybe that's it. I'm excited to see the track work. I believe that Maarten12 built an elevator lift with some sort of Winter theme once.

EDIT: Ah, I found it. http://www.sscoaster...605/index3.html

Thanks a lot actually -that link's been really helpful for me! At least I now know it can work....

So, it's update time, but there's good and bad news this time....I'll start with the bad I suppose!

The Bad News
-I've still got a long way to go if I'm going to make a fully functional Elevator lift...I've had chain snapping, rod warping and it's all a bit of a nightmare at the moment. But I'll pull through :)
-Some of my plans have had to be slightly adjusted
-I'm not going to post any more clues...you'll have to guess from the construction photos!
-I'll need some more pieces soon....

The good news!
-I'll soon be making an announcement/test video (if) once the lift is functional
-I have had some successful manual and motorised tests. I just need to consolidate the structure and add a little more hardware!
-I have new photos!

Posted Image

I think, I think this time it might work! Note the rod warping....

Posted Image

It sure does elevate! Note the smallest chains ever....the only configuration which would work!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't look down - 6ft tall now!

Posted Image

A counterweight, affectionately known as 'the cage'!

Posted Image

The pre-drop - not the greatest shaping from some angles, but it'll do....

Posted Image

Nice and compact...Oh, and I will be replacing the yellow curves once I buy some more orange ones!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately, I will need to trim the bottom of the drop!

Posted Image

The tower in all its glory!

Posted Image

Yes, I have glow up stars on my ceiling. Get over it. We all forgot to grow up on here right ;)

Posted Image

The cog system...which needs a little strengthening

Posted Image

Yes, it sags, but the method in the madness is to use gravity in order to keep the cogs close together!

Posted Image

I'll be installing this bad boy soon....

Thanks for your replies everyone! Probably one more update before Christmas. Enjoy!

Edited by Batwing, 30 November 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#13 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:13 PM

I like it!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#14 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

^Thanks!

Update time!

Well, have I got news for you! Two major developments have occurred since I last posted, so I'll segment this update into two parts.

Firstly, the elevator lift is now (almost) fully functional! I've made amendments to the catch car (if I can call it that), eliminating a few of the irregularities which have been causing problems.
Last update was all about this feature, and I didn't get many comments, so I'll keep it brief:

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's that at the bottom of the picture...? By now you've probably figured out what the second major development has been:

Posted Image

Yep, it's a drop. Note the yellow track piece is a temporary installation until I get a green piece of the same length. How does it look?
Of course however, this is a dueling coaster and...

Posted Image

We have another drop....and this one's beyond vertical!

Posted Image

Another view of the 'green side's' drop - I've tried to make it a little like Expedition Geforce's first drop.

Posted Image

Don't look down! I'll try to create a near miss element between the two drops soon!

Posted Image

Here's another shot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does the pullout look okay? The end will be modified (and connected ;) ) a little.

However, in light of this all, I was hoping you guys could help with a name for this ride!
So far, I have a few ideas, but am not entirely decided yet!

Compromise (sci-fi-ish theme)
Dueling Demons (a darker theme)
Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti whirl (as suggested by my sister!)

What do you reckon? The third one's my favourite so far ;)

That's all for today folks! Hope you like it!

#15 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

i like Dueling demons the best and this this is flawless!

#16 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti whirl for the win haha. I'm very impressed with the detail and effort (and crazy awesomeness) being put in here. Just take some cool ideas and bundle them all together into one, big ride. Sounds like a winning formula (for this anyway). I might make the pullout a little bigger for the size of the drop though.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#17 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I curious to see how you deal with the track pieces on he lift meeting the pieces on the drop. I do not like the shape of the drop though, I think it should be pulled away from the lift a little especially at the bottom. If you need a draw over I'd be glad to provide one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#18 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

Dueling elevator lifts? I love it. I vote for Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti Whirl. I like the crazy looking drop. It's not something you see everyday. I'm also interested in how the elevator lift is going to work.

#19 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

Very intersting, I really want to see a video of the lifts running.

#20 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I like projects like this, nice to see an elevator lift with vv!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vv, micro, dueling coaster, elevator lift