vv micro dueling coaster elevator lift

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

I guess the special element is an interlocking pretzel-loop of some sorts.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

Christmas (ish) update time! As for names, whilst Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti whirl (SLFTW) would be a brilliant name, Dueling Demons, just happens to be more practical, so I think I'll use that instead.
Saying that, I'm perfectly happy to have SLFTW as a nickname though ;)

i like Dueling demons the best and this this is flawless!

Thanks a lot! So do I...

Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti whirl for the win haha. I'm very impressed with the detail and effort (and crazy awesomeness) being put in here. Just take some cool ideas and bundle them all together into one, big ride. Sounds like a winning formula (for this anyway). I might make the pullout a little bigger for the size of the drop though.

Thanks again! Problem is, I'm constrained a little by space, but I'll try to make the pullouts a little longer!

I curious to see how you deal with the track pieces on he lift meeting the pieces on the drop. I do not like the shape of the drop though, I think it should be pulled away from the lift a little especially at the bottom. If you need a draw over I'd be glad to provide one.

Ah...that. I'd love to say I've got some sort of innovative new mechanism, but the truth is, I'll likely just have to clip the track together, unless I can get my hands on some magnets. You won't be able to tell in the video ;) And again...space issues!

Dueling elevator lifts? I love it. I vote for Strawberry-lime frutti-tutti Whirl. I like the crazy looking drop. It's not something you see everyday. I'm also interested in how the elevator lift is going to work.

Thanks, I've tried to make this a unique and distinctive as possible, so it's great to know you like it!

Very intersting, I really want to see a video of the lifts running.

Don't worry, I'll have a video soon! (And honestly it does work). You'll have to wait until I've finished the next few elements though....
I'll reveal the track layout, some extras, tease, and feature testing in the video coming next year!

I like projects like this, nice to see an elevator lift with vv!

Thanks- hopefully I can start a trend!

I guess the special element is an interlocking pretzel-loop of some sorts.

Actually, that's very close! Just remember it's not a flying coaster ;)

Anyway, ENOUGH! Time for pictures:

Posted Image

So, my lack of pieces has hindered my progress on the drops, so I've been focusing on the pre-lift this week! Gvus2001's Iron Pines has been my inspiration for this little section!

Posted Image

Is the Heartlining Okay?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've reworked the curve a little too!

Posted Image

And the funkiness continues - here's a little bunny hop.

Posted Image

That's not all either ;)

Posted Image

Both drops now completed!

Posted Image

Green side!

Posted Image

A bit blurry, but you get the idea!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first of many close calls! (Hopefully)

Posted Image

That's all for now folks! Hopefully will get new pieces for Christmas, especially for the base, so construction can pick up pace! Expect a few more inversions next time!
Please tell me how I'm doing!
Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

Edited by Batwing, 23 December 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#23 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

That corkscrew looks fantastic! My only complaint is that the green pull-out should be a little bigger.

Posted Image

#24 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

^Thanks! I hope I've granted you your wish!

After a brief (by my standards) hiatus, I've bought a few more pieces and, with some extra time on my hands having had scheduled days off sixth form college this week, there's been a lot of development to report in this update!

However, before I restarted building, I did a little thinking. I'm not sure dueling demons is the best name for this- it hints at a darker theme, and isn't particularly distinctive or memorable. In any case, it wasn't quite so popular as the alternative. Therefore, the whirl returns....I feel it summarises the ride I'm trying to create far better, plus it's a little humorous too. A crazy ride needs a crazy name right?
Btw, it'll just be Fruit-Tutti Whirl for short...unless you want the typing marathon.

Here's the logo then....thoughts?

Posted Image

When I walked into my room today, I noticed something had changed....

Posted Image

At first, I couldn't quite pin down what it was, but then....

Posted Image

It's two brand new immelmans! I've made the pullouts from both drops as long as I possibly can for the constrained space.

Posted Image

A unique view of the drop and immelman (on the lime side at least...)

Posted Image

Compare this with the shots in the previous update...the pre-lift has been *slightly* dwarfed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If only it was a real coaster ;)

Posted Image

Is the shaping OK?

Posted Image

I found a strong source of support for my coaster. It's called a wall.

Posted Image

Phew- that was close!

Posted Image

And finally an aerial view to wrap up this update!

Thanks for looking and commenting- stay tuned for plenty more to come soon!
I can't wait to show you all what I have planned next ;)

#25 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Yaassssss! The name is back. And I don't think you could summarise it any better because this is mad. ;)

Seriously though, you should release a drink or something.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#26 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Looks pretty cool. Quick question, with the elevator lift, how will the track disconnect, as VV track interlocks? Unless it will never connect. Also I feel the abbreviation should be changed from Fruity-Tutti Whirl, to FTW. Fruity-Tutti Whirl FTW! (For The Win)

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#27 -i!Koozie!i-

-i!Koozie!i-

!Wazzap!

• 368 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

This is awesome.

Posted Image

^Thanks Coasterman345^

1.IRON RATTLER 2.POLTERGIEST 3.SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER 4.TITAN 5.JUDGE ROY SCREAM

#28 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Well, yet again, here I am saying 'I haven't cancelled...I've just been inactive!'
Yeah, it's been very much stop start these last few weeks, with an overdose of work, holidays (urgh ;) ) and setbacks. The main time delay was due to a need to completely remaster the red side's pullout and immelman, as the train stopped making it...which to be honest, is hardly surprising considering the previous support structure, and in any case, it looks far better now anyway.

The layout's probably about 1/3 done, so once I've finished a few aspects, I'll be posting a test video (finally!), which will double up as an annoucement video...as what I have in store is very much (deliberately) an enigma so far, and I can't wait to show you all my plans!

Big update today...(as you can tell from the amount of pre-amble) but first, let's attend to the comments.

Yaassssss! The name is back. And I don't think you could summarise it any better because this is mad. ;)

Seriously though, you should release a drink or something.

I'm glad you like it ;) I hope I've continued the insanity, and you never now, I may make a 'Frutti-tutti concoctions' drink stand...

Looks pretty cool. Quick question, with the elevator lift, how will the track disconnect, as VV track interlocks? Unless it will never connect. Also I feel the abbreviation should be changed from Fruity-Tutti Whirl, to FTW. Fruity-Tutti Whirl FTW! (For The Win)

Yes! FTW FTW! Topic title changed in your honour. As for the interlocking track, I plan do do it manually until I get hold of some magnets, and we'll see where it goes from there.

This is awesome.

Thanks?

So what's changed then?

Well, we've had a new delivery: (green track)

Posted Image

Should be enough!

Posted Image

If you followed my last thread..you should know what these new supports are for! ;)

Okay, I get it...you want some track...well...

Posted Image

Here we are! It's not fully supported and shaped yet....and yes, I am aware of that kink!

Posted Image

Oooh artsy. Note the now completely green track at the top.

Posted Image

Definitely not fully supported yet (you can see some of my previous attempts). Shaping's more or less finished.

Posted Image

An albeit slightly blurred overview.

Posted Image

Tight...but it makes it...for now...

Posted Image

Better?And yes, wall supports are strong ;)

Posted Image

The other side...

Posted Image

Fruity...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course, the exit of the immelman/sidewinder doesn't yet touch the ground...and is set for an inexorable collision. Which means...

Posted Image

Yes it looks awful, and not tall enough. That's why I'm taking it down and building something far more radical :P

Posted Image

I'll just leave you with this.

That's all folks! Keep an eye out for more updates coming soon...and eventually the test video.

Btw, what's the K'nex micro inversion record? I assume hotel eurofighter with 9 or 10...(6)

Thanks again!

(I'll make the pictures smaller next time..)

#29 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Looks fantastic. I'm also surprised at the height you got out of the elements. Very nice.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#30 -i!Koozie!i-

-i!Koozie!i-

!Wazzap!

• 368 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

This is great, This could possibly be one of the best vv coasters I have seen

Posted Image

^Thanks Coasterman345^

1.IRON RATTLER 2.POLTERGIEST 3.SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER 4.TITAN 5.JUDGE ROY SCREAM

#31 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Looks fantastic. I'm also surprised at the height you got out of the elements. Very nice.

Thanks - the challenge will be to keep it up! ;)

This is great, This could possibly be one of the best vv coasters I have seen

Thanks again! Glad you like it :)

Okay update Time!

Just when you thought it couldn't get more insane, it just did! I've been hard at work on inversion #5!

Posted Image

But first, I'll need a bit of help... (more than two comments should do it :) )
So the other day, when I was working on my elevator lift, I accidentally placed two cogs in the wrong arrangement, and found out, quite suddenly, that when I fired the motor up, it was massively quicker than I expected. When I stopped the motor, I found that I'd placed a cog with fewer teeth after a cog with more teeth, which naturally, would accelerate the motor. This got me thinking - what if I made a series of these sets of two cogs and attached it to a chain? Could I, could I make a launch?

Initially, I'd planned just to use one for my next coaster, but I thought, with the train not making the pre-drop section, it might be a good (and crazy) idea to make a less powerful, prototype launch system, to get it through the first inversion.

This is what I came up with:

Posted Image

This is the first part of the system. A standard motor powers a set of 3 accelerator cogs.

Posted Image

I've sneaked one more in, and connected that to the drive axle.

Posted Image

More on that connection.

So that's all very well, and it really works when you fire up the motor.
However, as soon as you add a chain, or any other resistance, it just fails, with the whole system getting stuck. I've tried to consolidate it, but it's a bit fragile really.
So can anyone help? If you can, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll credit you if it helps ;)

If I can make this work, I've figured it might have a few advantages:
-Fully customisable speed
-Possibility of easy automation
-Ability to make a rolling or conventional launch
-And it should work with SS too!

Posted Image

Do I need one of these? It seems to work on the lift.

Anyway, that's enough! Update time!
Inversion #5, a diving corkscrew is complete - but how many are left?

Posted Image

An overview...

Posted Image

I've modified the red side's second inversion too.

Posted Image

It's a nice view to fall asleep to ;)

Posted Image

Close, but enough to clear a safety envelope test (just)

Posted Image

I've been working on the entrance plaza and entrance too! Here's the path to take you to the ride entrance.

Posted Image

Snortel is getting a little impatient (do you do red nose day in the US?)

Posted Image

Posted Image

One last overview...

Posted Image

The new pre-lift section...

Posted Image

The launch platform...

Posted Image

But where to next? All will be revealed in the next update...which may or may not contain a test/teaser/announcement video ;)

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Batwing, 15 March 2015 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

#32 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

So about the launch: In your situation, what you did was set up the gears to increase the rotational velocity (speed) of each subsequent gear/axle set, however this results in an equivalent decease in the torque (or rotational force/power) of each set, given the same power source. Likewise, if you reverse it, the result would be a high powered but slow chain system.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#33 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

So about the launch: In your situation, what you did was set up the gears to increase the rotational velocity (speed) of each subsequent gear/axle set, however this results in an equivalent decease in the torque (or rotational force/power) of each set, given the same power source. Likewise, if you reverse it, the result would be a high powered but slow chain system.

Thanks for the heads up! That certainly seems to make sense and might be a bit of a fatal flaw in my plans....
Do you know of any solutions to the problem?

The only solution I can think of is to increase the torque of the original motor, or perhaps use multiple motors (would that work)?
I've rigged the system up to a 2-speed, with chain and all, and it launches the train pretty well...just not quite well enough. I'll alter the first element and maybe put another set of cogs in, and I think that should do the trick (if I've got enough torque).

I'm now confident (don't hold me to this) that this could work on a larger scale, given a set of motors to provide torque, and a fishing wire winch system to provide less resistance to the system. That might just be saved for my next coaster ;)

Posted Image

#34 Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Guest_OnePoundFish_*

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

I do think that using two motors will help, but making it automatic? I don't use VV that often and I really can't help, but the launch platform does look like it's tilted down, I don't know if that's supposed to be like that. (weird)
If you are to make a launch, defiantly use fishing line and surgical tubing! When connecting a motor, I used a Terrain Trekker motor on the low setting, and geared it down from the small gear to the normal red gear (Giving it more torque) and did that on BOTH sides of the launch. This can help prevent gear slippage, which happens because plastic bends. Then you want to make a catch, which could be a half-moon connector, that locks into the red gear, preventing it from moving. The catch would have to be held on with a rubber band so the torque doesn't release the catch. Attached to the catch could be a lever, which would deactivate the catch when the car rolled over it. The only preparation would be to slide both of the smaller gears off the red gear's teeth, so they don't mesh. The actual drum that holds the tension of the surgical tubing could be snowflake connectors with blue rods on all sides of it. Remember to reenforce the launch AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! We don't want you breaking any parts or hurting yourself! (Some how?) There's a tutorial for this I think...

#35 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

Well...I'm back! (Again)
After a long and tiring exam period, I've finally returned to building again. I haven't had much time to update, so there's plenty to report in this update.

What's changed then?

Firstly, I'm afraid I got rid of the launch after it spectacularly failed, and I've replaced it with a double down, a la Twisted Colossus, if you don't mind ;) Thanks to everyone who helped me on the launch...but I simply couldn't do it in a space that small...I plan to incorporate it into a (probably distant) future coaster, using 2 two-speeds and all the improvements you guys have detailed. I've also reshaped in line twist, so it actually works now ;)

The elevator lift has also had a pretty major overhaul too. I've completely changed the drive mechanism to two motors rather than 1 two-speed motor, so now the front and back of the lift move at the same pace...I've also added a few details to make sure the trains remain attached to the track, which helps too I suppose...

I've also added a high speed turn and a half loop to the red side, and continued consolidating the green side.

Crucially...both sides now work! This is probably thanks to switching to a 2 car configuration (again), but now the trains really are dancing around the track!

You can see all of this in the long awaited test video!!!

OK, so there's more news too. I think it's finally time to properly announce all the features of this coaster!
Remember this?

Posted Image

Well here we go then....

Clue 1 - Was probably the most difficult of the lot and a true testament to your obscure coaster knowledge :)
The first picture is Batwing at SFA, with the second being Cobra at La Ronde.
What do these rides have in common, and what happens when you add them together? Well, both coasters are the names of specific elements/inversions, Cobra (rolls) and Batwings, and there's only one coaster in the world that has both of them, where they interact with one another.

Yup, that coaster is The Smiler at Alton Towers, which I'm sure you all know about for its recent media stardom ;)
The element is known as a 'Staffordshire Knot', hence the word 'Staffordshire' (where Alton Towers is located) and the knot. This funky combo element looks like this:

Posted Image

Basically, that's gonna be the next element I build....speed loss permitting of course.

Clue 2 - Was a little bit easier, but still a bit obscure (know I think about it they were pretty hard!). The coasters are Grand National at Blackpool, Montaña Rusa at La Feria Chapultepec Magico in Mexico, and lastly, Master Thai at Mirabilandia (horrible ride). If you watch POVs of all 3, you'll notice that on each circuit, the train returns to a different station to the one it departed from, whilst being practically side by side all the way. This is known as a Mobius loop (after the mobius strip).

Basically, I was going to have two stations, but that was a massive faff, so I'm just combining the two sides to form a single massive track. The red side will become the green side before the start of the second elevator lift section, much like Twisted Colossus.

Clue 3 - You all know, and it's pretty obvious. It's an elevator lift!

Clue 4 - The plane was a eurofighter typhoon...one of the very few planes I know! This is where the beyond vertical drop comes into play.

Also - I'm going for the micro K'nex inversion record! With the stafforshire knot, I'll be up to 9 - and I plan to have one more on each side, plus more dueling interactions.

So, now for pictures!

Posted Image

I've changed the second inversion on the red side. I count it as an inversion...just.

Posted Image

More work to do!

Posted Image

Double down :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Much better :)

Posted Image

Only really enough room for two car trains anyway...
How does the track connect then? Magic ;) (For the moment)

Posted Image

New, and much better lift mechanism

Posted Image

Does your neck hurt yet?

Posted Image

A nice bit of interaction

Posted Image

The high speed turn...I'm not entirely convinced by the shaping of it, but it'll do. If you have any suggestion, please comment!

Posted Image

Posted Image

VERY blurred, but there's the rest of the high speed turn

Posted Image

The view from below....

Posted Image

It's time to get corrected!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another blurred view from above...note to self, keep it steady next time!

Posted Image

And an overview....

Anyway, that's all folks. Enjoy - more updates on the way soon!

Edited by Batwing, 08 June 2015 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

#36 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Test video!? (eek) That may as well be a final video! :P
Wonderful footage of this very, very unique VV coaster. I'll be closely watching this.

That logo is just incredible.

Posted Image

#37 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

Posted Image

I am always amazed of unique lifts such as this, I really wish I had motivation to build at all recently.
I love how the trains interact with each other so far, hopefully you can keep up that flow.

#38 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Test video!? (eek) That may as well be a final video! :P
Wonderful footage of this very, very unique VV coaster. I'll be closely watching this.

That logo is just incredible.

Haha, I try my best ;) Thanks for your support, as always!

Posted Image

I am always amazed of unique lifts such as this, I really wish I had motivation to build at all recently.
I love how the trains interact with each other so far, hopefully you can keep up that flow.

Dat meme do. Thanks a lot- I'm currently finding it difficult to be motivated right now, but I've just got to persist....

Anyway, time for an update. As per usual, some parts have been redesigned - especially the turn entering the cobra roll, and the pre-lift section needs tweaking (again!)
In fact, at the moment, the red side doesn't entirely work - my best train will make it with a little consolidation, but the other two fail spectacularly. I'm pleased to report that none of those issues exist with the green side = I need to buy some brand new red track. And I'm running out of parts - fast.

But hey, I'll do what I can to finish this damned thing (note to self, next time, be less ambitious) - hope you like it!

Posted Image

Here we are- of course, the shaping on the second side of the batwing isn't final, especially since it isn't fully supported yet.

Posted Image

Ironically, it's actually the first Batwing I've made ;)

Posted Image

What a mess. I love it!

Posted Image

A view from side on

Posted Image

The remains of the previous two drops

Posted Image

The view from the ground

Posted Image

This was originally supposed to be the station, but I've had a bit of a rethink! Don't expect anything hugely special for the station...but it will go over the newly constructed turn.

Posted Image

One last view of the staffordshire knot.

That's it for now - feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

#39 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

Definitely the right element for this coaster. You certainly are maintaining the twistyness nicely. There are some straight spots heading into the cobra roll which may be killing your much needed speed in the fast section. Hopefully you'll be able to get some more elements in after this as well.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#40 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Staffordshire knot? I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing that's a combination of a batwing and a cobra roll that are interlocking? Anyway, this is a really unique coaster. I've nothing else to say.

Edited by SCM, 12 July 2015 - 03:27 PM.
Forgot a letter

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vv, micro, dueling coaster, elevator lift