vv micro dueling coaster elevator lift

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Definitely the right element for this coaster. You certainly are maintaining the twistyness nicely. There are some straight spots heading into the cobra roll which may be killing your much needed speed in the fast section. Hopefully you'll be able to get some more elements in after this as well.

Thanks! Twisty was what I had in mind - and I did manage to fit bonus elements in now :)

Staffordshire knot? I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing that's a combination of a batwing and a cobra roll that are interlocking? Anyway, this is a really unique coaster. I've nothing else to say.

Yep, spot on! Thank you!

Anyway, you may have thought this project was long dead, but I'm now back to blow off the Cobwebs after 2 months without an update. There have been many, many changes since then....

Posted Image

These start with the pre-drop section. Yeah, that's pretty much gone now, as it quite clearly wasn't working, and I've switched to something more feasible. Can you spot the cheeky bit of airtime?

Posted Image

Now this is what I've spent the bulk of my time on! It's not automatic, but I like being able to control it manually.
Station gates were a real pain to install, but I hope it's been worth the effort! Chain coming soon ;)

Posted Image

Airgates closed, station gates open...

Posted Image

A look at all those juicy cogs. I know the station's a mirror image to what you'd usually expect, but hey....I'm unique.

Posted Image

Moving back from the station, here's the final hill and turn back into the station. For some reason, inclined brake runs really seem to appeal to me.

Posted Image

It's an airtime barrage! I could've put two inversions in, but I wanted some variety.

Posted Image

One of my favourite shots of the ride!

Posted Image

All lovely and wacky.

Posted Image

I spy airtime! And a path...note that the spine isn't fully formed yet.

Posted Image

Side on view of the bump. You might be interested to know that this is in almost exactly the same place as the hill on Vortex.

Posted Image

Of course, there are still gaps for where the green part will make its return!

Posted Image

Anyone feel like guessing where the green track will go?

Posted Image

Another shot of the station. There's a lot of room under the station, isn't there? Hmm?
Spoiler: Something subterranean. (ish)

Posted Image

Because FTW, that's why.

Posted Image

And there we go. I'll finish with the next piece of the next part to be supported. On the ground you can see part of the chain system to be installed, and you can probably tell where that's going to go.

So what's next? Well, once I've finished off the station and the brake run, I need to seriously work on my speed efficiency. So far, only one train sort of makes it round the red track, and for the green track, where everything works, the second half of the Batwing really needs work. Expect some train changes!
Then, I'll very awkwardly manoeuvre myself to finish off rest of the green side - namely the MCBR and one remaining inversion.

That's all for now folks. Hope I've sorta made up for the long wait!

Posted Image

#42 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

Wow, overall this is insane! Though I see a few bumps caused from the rods in the spine ending at the same place, gotta stagger them. Especially in the 7th picture there is a very noticable bump in the batwing.

BTW, some pictures are missing. :P

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#43 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

Wow, overall this is insane! Though I see a few bumps caused from the rods in the spine ending at the same place, gotta stagger them. Especially in the 7th picture there is a very noticable bump in the batwing.

BTW, some pictures are missing. :P

Thanks! Yeah, the Batwing does need work, so I'll probably be modifying it soon - and now I know why. I can see all 15 images, but if you can't, here's the link to the album on imgur:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Posted Image

#44 Coupe

Coupe

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

With respect to the track joining on the lift - you could always just cut off the outer tabs on those pieces of track, that way the centre clip of the track can just slot in place and line the track up.

#45 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

With respect to the track joining on the lift - you could always just cut off the outer tabs on those pieces of track, that way the centre clip of the track can just slot in place and line the track up.

That's a great idea, but the elevator lift isn't as regular as I'd like it to be, so it probably wouldn't quite line up I'm afraid!

Okay, so it's largely good news this time! Some of you may have seen the quick pic I posted a little , but since then, I've completed the rest of the layout, and sorted out a few of the teething problems I was having.  
So I've smoothed the Batwing a bit, and altered the second half to be more of an inclined loop, added a zero-G roll, a SkyRush-esque dive and a cheeky airtime hill at the end. That brings the final inversion count to 9, and the number of long track pieces to about 50.  As each full length track piece is roughly 40 cm long, that gives a total track length of 20 metres...which I really wasn't expecting!

To do now: 
- Strengthen and tweak a little more so the second train can more reliably make it (I haven't actually had a successful dueling test yet, so don't hold your breath...)
- Add the finishing touches, like the station roof
- Light the thing up ;)

Anyway, you probably want to see some pictures. Good thing I've got a few then...

zrsmsMB.jpg

There she is! I originally wanted to do a zero-G stall, but this was easier!

lF2FRvi.jpg

An overview of that nice twisted mess of track

a5isu5D.jpg

You can see here the station roof is starting to take shape! My method of stopping the train is a bit crude, but necessary!

I1YB0OL.jpg

Amendments to the Batwing. I feel it actually looks better now!

j5xXdEt.jpg

jXVdrWs.jpg

No seriously, there are 20 metres of track ;)

65o9rTt.jpg

They don't quite align, but that's the best I can do without moving the whole thing!

ihRJusW.jpg

Wow. Very twist.

Zgr7olo.jpg

The shaping was tough, but I'm really happy with how it turned out!  You can see where the queues going here...

sXpdlMl.jpg

LVrSblD.jpg

The queueline will snake around here, under the station and then up to to it!

8xKr7fI.jpg

Yes, I ran out of pieces to continue the spine, but I like the look of it, and it was easier to shape with! I thought the bank of mum and dad had been robbed enough already!

4IlP5Vp.jpg

Well, I ran out of green track, and don't have curved pieces in any other colour anyway, so yellow will have to do I'm afraid!

gKpK3Nb.jpg

The coaster has waaay too many inversions anyway, so whilst I could have made it to 10, I think this looks, and flows best!

FqEXwJq.jpg

Now I look at it, it seems like I might have to make a few amendments to that brake run!

DAdAQMl.jpg

KozkgLN.jpg

Well there we have it. Expect the final video to be out in the next 2-3 weeks!

Thanks for your continued support!

Posted Image

#46 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

It looks nice! But I'm definitely gonna need a video to tell what the layout is lol. There are some minor issues with shaping, but it still looks very nice overall, and the layout is very creative! Some advice for your next coaster - no need to use ladders to connect the rods of your spine, only causes sharp spots! Just stagger them so they don't all end in the same spot. It's hard to get rid of sharp spots too when you're making something with a small radius, like a loop, and in those places I usually just use the tornado spine.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#47 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Wow, that is a great way to end a ride! Can we see a test video?

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#48 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

It looks nice! But I'm definitely gonna need a video to tell what the layout is lol. There are some minor issues with shaping, but it still looks very nice overall, and the layout is very creative! Some advice for your next coaster - no need to use ladders to connect the rods of your spine, only causes sharp spots! Just stagger them so they don't all end in the same spot. It's hard to get rid of sharp spots too when you're making something with a small radius, like a loop, and in those places I usually just use the tornado spine.

Haha, yeah, it is a bit confusing! And on my next coaster, I'll be sure to make my spines more regular, to ensure I don't end with shaping issues (again). 

For everybody's information, here are all the elements in chronological order!

Station

Green side:

Elevator lift

Turning drop

Immelman (#1)

Diving Corkscrew (#2)

Reverse sidewinder (#3)

Inclined loop sort of thing (#4)

Zero-G roll (#5)

Stengel dive

Bunny hop

Brake run into...

Red side

Elevator Lift

Beyond Vertical drop

Immelman (#6)

Inclined half loop (#7)

Cobra Roll (#8, #9)

Airtime hill

Airtime hill into brakerun

180 degree turn back into station

So only a few elements then :P

Wow, that is a great way to end a ride! Can we see a test video?

Thanks noodles! You'll be getting the final video soon, don't be greedy ;)

Anyway, so I can now happily report that FTW is now officically complete!

God, it's been a long time coming.  In fact, it was on this day, exactly 365 days ago, that this topic received it's first post! Now THAT is what I call slow building.

Since I last updated, I've made tweaks to the sidewinder, completed the station and added those little important details, like signs and even queuelines!

Here are some of the final photos of the ride, including a few cheeky panoramas.  The light's really going in the UK now, so apologies for the light in some of these pictures!

I've tried using the gallery this time...is there a way of enlarging the pictures?

IMG 1519

That's the curvature of the panorama, not the coaster, trust me ;)

IMG 1518

Come to think of it, if you can see what I see, it looks a bit inappropriate, doesn't it :P

IMG 1515

From the top

IMG 1514

Apologies for it being November...

IMG 1512

One of my favourites

IMG 1507

All the signage...

IMG 1508

More of the entrance plaza

IMG 1509

I really like this one ;)

IMG 1510

From above...

IMG 1511

Another personal favourite of mine!

IMG 1505

The queueline, with a nice bit of interaction.

IMG 1453

IMG 1452

So many panormas!

IMG 1451

An older one, but still a nice one!

IMG 1450

This is the last one, I swear...

There's just one thing still do folks. And that's the final video ;)

Expect that in the next few weeks.

(It's going to take a while to film and edit everything, so don't hold your breath...)

Thanks guys...and please comment!

Edited by Batwing, 08 November 2015 - 12:00 PM.

Posted Image

#49 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:44 AM

It's so loopy!

#50 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Kinda like the Smiler but not the Smiler, yet far more insane than the Smiler. I really like how this turned out and how it all fits together. The slow building was worth it.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#51 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

My favorite thing about your coasters is/are the station/que lines. It adds a very nice touch to the ride!

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#52 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Well, I think I'll just leave this here then: ( ;) )

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8fytTs4-LdU

As always, thanks for all your support - I quite simply couldn't do it all without you guys!

It's so loopy!

Thanks, I agree!

Kinda like the Smiler but not the Smiler, yet far more insane than the Smiler. I really like how this turned out and how it all fits together. The slow building was worth it.

Thanks a lot! That's certainly where I got the inspiration from!

My favorite thing about your coasters is/are the station/que lines. It adds a very nice touch to the ride!

Thanks! It's nice to know the little touches mean a lot :)

Edited by Batwing, 20 November 2015 - 03:54 PM.

Posted Image

#53 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Wow, I love this! The track is so twisty, I had to watch the video twice to figure out the layout. I've always secretly wanted to see a dueling elevator lift coaster, and this is it! Nice work Batwing.

#54 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Wow, I love this! The track is so twisty, I had to watch the video twice to figure out the layout. I've always secretly wanted to see a dueling elevator lift coaster, and this is it! Nice work Batwing.

Thanks steel! That means a lot - and I mean, haven't we all ;)

Database link - http://www.sscoaster...tti-whirl-r1571

Okay, so I can now mark this as officially complete and sign it off by uploading it to the database! It was a seriously challenging build, but also one which was incredibly enjoyable and rewarding...and I can't wait to show all of you my future plans :P I feel this project has really changed me as a builder.

Before I do that, though, here are a few final photos:
cYSlnPj.jpg6wywXJF.jpg

1ntoUGd.jpg

cX4V153.jpg

dBESheO.jpg

ejQMtwQ.jpg

yO9u5VE.jpg

SSisfqS.jpg

mTQuIJd.jpg

nfgkJps.jpg

HnKoNXt.jpg

wWAEoAZ.jpg

nkSfUCC.jpg

So that's all then folks! Thanks for reading and commenting!

---Batwing will return to building in early 2016---

Edited by Batwing, 30 November 2015 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

This is fantastic! I really like this coaster and the video too :)
Can't wait to see your next coaster!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vv, micro, dueling coaster, elevator lift