• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

Oh my goodness O_O !

Haven't seen such an awesome woodie in a while. I'm fallen in love with this fantastic piece! 

I like your way of giving the whole ride a nice and realistic look. the only thing that I would like to be different are longer trains but thats no problem at all .

it's definitively going to be one of my favorite knex woodies.

Really nice job mate!

#42 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

Very very nice. I would say consider using a 4 car train in the final video, I think it look more aesthetically pleasing. Great work!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#43 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:27 AM

The main problem with the 4 car train is the lift. The motor seems already fairly well worked lifting the three cars up plus everything else is already based around the 3 car train. I have tested with 4 cars before and it was not too awful but I'll be leaving this up for a little while so I might do a video for both.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

^If the lift doesn't pull 4 trains, then you could make one unweighted. Unless you are talking about the crest and that only 3 cars can go over it.

Anyways, I think this looks really good. I love the touch of the side supports. I think this was a great build for you and good job on successfully finishing it. It looked like a pain, but way to pull through. This sure has a unique layout as far as elements are put together. I love it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#45 Coupe

Coupe

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Wow, is all I can say!  Looks fantastic!

#46 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

The contrast isn't so bad anyway. I also wanted them to have a purpose and be functional, not so much in the strength department but to add to the excitement of the ride (and the POV when it comes) with lots of headchoppers and close shaves, and that "busy" impression you get with wooden coasters where you can barely see the track at some points. It'll be interesting to film it in a way that isn't dull that's for sure. 

I think that's my favourite thing about this coaster - the way it snakes around the layout in such a small space is lovely, with great pacing throughout.  Quite a contrast to your last coaster!

I really like that subtle spine too!

Posted Image

#47 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

This is one of my new favorite woodies for sure! It looks so smooth, professional, and just all around spectacular! Fantastic job, sir!

Thank you.

Oh my goodness O_O !

Haven't seen such an awesome woodie in a while. I'm fallen in love with this fantastic piece! 

I like your way of giving the whole ride a nice and realistic look. the only thing that I would like to be different are longer trains but thats no problem at all .

it's definitively going to be one of my favorite knex woodies.

Really nice job mate!

I'll explain what happened to the trains below. ;) Thank you.

Very very nice. I would say consider using a 4 car train in the final video, I think it look more aesthetically pleasing. Great work!

Thank you.

^If the lift doesn't pull 4 trains, then you could make one unweighted. Unless you are talking about the crest and that only 3 cars can go over it.

Anyways, I think this looks really good. I love the touch of the side supports. I think this was a great build for you and good job on successfully finishing it. It looked like a pain, but way to pull through. This sure has a unique layout as far as elements are put together. I love it.

Thanks. :D

Wow, is all I can say!  Looks fantastic!

Thank you.

I think that's my favourite thing about this coaster - the way it snakes around the layout in such a small space is lovely, with great pacing throughout.  Quite a contrast to your last coaster!

I really like that subtle spine too!

Spine/faux catwalk ;). Thanks.

I don't have time to post the photos just now but the final video is here. As for the train length, the train sometimes stopped on the lift because it couldn't take anymore weight for one of the trains and they would've stuck out the back of the station. If you really want a 4 car train then I can edit together a few clips of the lighter train running around too.

Thanks for all the comments. Got to go but I'll be back to add stuff later. :D

Edited by CW5X, 10 January 2016 - 01:07 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#48 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

I still have no clue how you get around that room of yours....
Otherwise fantastic work Chris! Love the way you've made use of the space you had to make a nice compact, yet big woodie :)

#49 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

I still have no clue how you get around that room of yours....
Otherwise fantastic work Chris! Love the way you've made use of the space you had to make a nice compact, yet big woodie :)

Thank you. It's actually quite easy to get around when it's tidy.

I have the pictures here. I'll add a panorama later because the lighting was awful.

gallery_2032_1012_1059816.jpg

Simplistic brakes

gallery_2032_1012_921126.jpg

gallery_2032_1012_730998.jpg

gallery_2032_1012_576406.jpg

gallery_2032_1012_625096.jpg

gallery_2032_1012_325205.jpg

gallery_2032_1012_1264317.jpg

I'll be leaving this coaster up for a little while, mainly because I won't have time to take it down. Fortunately it works consistently enough that it's fine to keep it running. Hopefully the shaping won't become too messed up over time.

Thanks for the support and advice on this project as always. :D

Tyndrum

#50 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

This is amazing! You know a K'nex coaster is great when you can actually tell what's going on in the POV, I've only ever seen that in one other coaster!

Also I really like all of the little details you added on the sides of the structure, it really makes it look more like a real wooden coaster.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 10 January 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#51 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:21 AM

I've been gone far too long... I missed this build completely. >.<
It looks really nice! I am a huge fan of the supports you used to give it more of a wooden coaster feel. It looks like it runs really smooth and the pacing is really well done. This is probably one of my favorite builds from you!

Signature not available 

#52 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

I wanted to share with you that my girlfriend and I think your build looks wonderful. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#53 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

Wow, this is one incredible build.  Seriously, might be one of my all-time favorites.  It's so amazingly clean, and the catwalk/spine adds so much in terms of realism.  Just a quick question, did you slow the POV down at all?  It's so clean and clear.  What camera did you use?

Edit: Also, just a quick shot of the 4-car train running the circuit would be interesting.  It would be cool to see how the speed compares to the 3-car train.

Edited by IonZer0, 18 January 2016 - 09:53 AM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#54 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

Well I guess this thread woke up again. :D

This is amazing! You know a K'nex coaster is great when you can actually tell what's going on in the POV, I've only ever seen that in one other coaster!
Also I really like all of the little details you added on the sides of the structure, it really makes it look more like a real wooden coaster.

Thank you. If be interested to know what the other coaster was although I think I can think of a few certainly.

I've been gone far too long... I missed this build completely. >.<
It looks really nice! I am a huge fan of the supports you used to give it more of a wooden coaster feel. It looks like it runs really smooth and the pacing is really well done. This is probably one of my favorite builds from you!

Thank you. I wanted to try and make something reasonably realistic to see what support styles would work for me. Although what I'm building next summer isn't going to be quite as relevant to this as I thought it would be at the start, it was still fun to see how it turned out.

I wanted to share with you that my girlfriend and I think your build looks wonderful. :)

Thank you to you and your girlfriend. :D

Wow, this is one incredible build.  Seriously, might be one of my all-time favorites.  It's so amazingly clean, and the catwalk/spine adds so much in terms of realism.  Just a quick question, did you slow the POV down at all?  It's so clean and clear.  What camera did you use?

Edit: Also, just a quick shot of the 4-car train running the circuit would be interesting.  It would be cool to see how the speed compares to the 3-car train.

I'll probably have time next week to do that. With this project I'm currently working on, I'm pretty busy. And no, that POV was full speed and it surprised me how cleanly it came out. I use the 808 HD minicam #16 with wide angle lens and it continues to serve me well with its ease of use. Thank you.

Tyndrum

#55 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

I said it would be this week. Didn't think it would be Saturday but it's still this week. I have a 4 car test run to show you what it could've looked like, and after being inspired by killerbunny and his 12 car test run on Jackalope, I have an 11 car one (would've been 12 but one of my modified back cars had a minor incident. It would still work as a car, just not a middle car).

4 cars:

11 cars:

This is probably the very last update on this ride. I don't know when I have time to take it down but in terms of mucking about with cars and making videos, this is probably it. Thanks for the crazy amount of comments after each update, even after a 3 month gap in the middle. :D

Tyndrum

#56 Yannick

Yannick

Colossos Forever

• 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

I always liked those 11/12 car tests! :)  The speed seems more realistic which I never noticed so far.

Posted Image

Coaster Count: 84

Check out My new Eurofighter

1- Colossos 2- Tatsu 3- Formula Rossa 4- Kraken 5- BlueFire 6- Hulk 7- Dragon Challenge 8- X2 9- Scream(SFMM) 10- Krake

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, cw5x, rod, smaller, wooden