• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hey all,

So I have been MIA for a few years, but since finding my old knex in the loft I figured I would have a little mess around. Excuse the picture quality, lighting isn't great and the pictures are taken on my ipod. As you can tell from the title I am building a launched coaster, straight into what I hope to change to a top hat.

For my first update I'm mainly focusing on the launch, nevermind the (overbanked) style turn here. The element scales quite nicely the size I want to make the top hat though, but with better shaping. Upon consideration of how many pieces I have left I'm scaling the model down and making the launch smaller. Video 1 shows the launch at the speed it will roughly be when I convert it to be smaller. Video 2 basically shows what the launch is capable off - if I had the pieces I would gladly build much bigger to make that speed somewhat realistic.

Pictures:
IMG_6469_zpsjo58wuhw.jpg

IMG_6470_zpsfthr7jip.jpg
IMG_6473_zpsvthr5ulv.jpg
IMG_6474_zpsyztcvack.jpg

Video1:

http://i1379.photobu...zpsgui6amw4.mp4

Video2:
http://i1379.photobu...zpsqetc2ktb.mp4 

Special thanks to Jumpge and st33l from 2012 for the help with the design, as you can see I am heavily influenced. Also, thanks to the active members of the live chat who have helped me over the past few weeks, specifically with a locking mechanism.

-Michael

#2 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

the catch car and launch track looks really nice!

maybe make the inverted top hat a bit higher (just one or two yellow rods) because it looks like the car may lose a bit speed in the turn.

But maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not a big launch coaster builder:D

anyways keep on building! :)

#3 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

Another British builder :o

Looks fabulous so far - inverting the top hat is a really nice touch! 

Only thing I'd say is the pull-in looks a little sharp- but I suppose it is scaled down.

Posted Image

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:35 AM

Wow. That 2nd launch is quick. The first one still has decent speed and opening out the pull-in on the final element will certainly help save some of it. Should be pretty cool little launched model if you're essentially scaling down the style of the coasters from 2012.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Wow. That 2nd launch is quick. The first one still has decent speed and opening out the pull-in on the final element will certainly help save some of it. Should be pretty cool little launched model if you're essentially scaling down the style of the coasters from 2012.

Thank you. 2012 was the year I was most active yes, so my style is probably inspired by them.

Another British builder :o

Looks fabulous so far - inverting the top hat is a really nice touch! 

Only thing I'd say is the pull-in looks a little sharp- but I suppose it is scaled down.

I scrapped the top hat and decided to go for an air hill instead. I tried opening up the pull in, check it out.

the catch car and launch track looks really nice!

maybe make the inverted top hat a bit higher (just one or two yellow rods) because it looks like the car may lose a bit speed in the turn.

But maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not a big launch coaster builder:D

anyways keep on building! :)

The speed of the first element really depends on where I set the launch from. I'll set it to something realistic to get it through the first element when it is finished.

IMG_6517_zpseawyi7ff.jpg
IMG_6516_zpsjzrx3xck.jpg

Started work on a incline up to to a banked turn back around. More pictures to come - I rarely have the time to build.

#6 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

Update 3:

I started the banked turn. Not 100% happy with the shaping but it is a start. I want to fix the initial turning at the highest point.

Sorry for the blurry pictures, more tweaking to come!

IMG_6520_zpsnpb1hb03.jpg
IMG_6521_zpss9bnljba.jpg
IMG_6522_zpslh4oykct.jpg

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Yeah. I think problem starts at the initial turn in where it seems to jut out a little bit at the top. I'd probably loosen off the pullout a bit too because it seems a touch sharp in places but as a first draft, it's a pretty good place to start and definitely something to build on.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#8 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

I agree with CW5X! Other than that, I like the general element and where this seems to be going!

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: launch