13 replies to this topic

#1 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:51 AM

Greetings everyone,

I haven't been here in a very long time. I'm hoping that Knex still has some life in it, but it's sad to see it dying. 

As for me, I am now in college, so naturally when I am home for two weeks the first thing I want to do is build. Since college gets out in early may, I decided that I am going to try to enter a model into the Bay Area Maker Faire for the second year. I have about a week left before I get my wisdom teeth out and then go back to school, so we'll see whether or not I finish this in time/whether I have enough pieces.

So, there was this element that I've seen on those despised Vekoma SLCs, I believe called a roll-over, which has intrigued me. So, my new coaster is kind of like a B&M floorless with a roll-over. Here's what I got so far:

IMG_1176_zps7ghk2xhu.jpg

IMG_1180_zps97woc987.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsgnvo2map.jpg

IMG_1177_zpspnk3uifb.jpg

After the overbanked turn, I'm planning a loop, hill, turn, perhaps a corkscrew through the loop, an MCBR, and depending on how much speed/pieces I have, more inversions. 

This is the biggest coaster I've built, at about 6'1", so piece count may be a major issue. However, though I am short I haven't run out yet so I guess I'll keep going. 

Also, I need a name for it. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season,

Noah

Edited by wyomingman, 03 January 2019 - 04:04 AM.

My Youtube Channel (Noah Smith) : http://www.youtube.c...GBYi6NL0c0pRnlA

Follow me on Instagram @smittyknex

#2 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

I was scanning through the pictures and didn't notice the first element until reading it over carefully. I think it looks awesome and it doesn't look like your speed is too terrible. That room looks tiny so it's quite impressive to be using the space very well. Good job!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

That is an impressive size. I don't remember ever seeing a roll over on a k'nex coaster before. Also, that's some great speed preservation for a VV coaster given its size and the fact that it's not an invert. (I hear VV coasters have less speed loss when they are inverted.) 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

I was scanning through the pictures and didn't notice the first element until reading it over carefully. I think it looks awesome and it doesn't look like your speed is too terrible. That room looks tiny so it's quite impressive to be using the space very well. Good job!

Thanks! I was hoping to get even more height out of it but I'm satisfied with what I got...

That is an impressive size. I don't remember ever seeing a roll over on a k'nex coaster before. Also, that's some great speed preservation for a VV coaster given its size and the fact that it's not an invert. (I hear VV coasters have less speed loss when they are inverted.) 

Yeah, the goal was to make as big a coaster as I could. This room is my attic so I had to account for the roof height at various spots in the room. Also, prior to last year I had not weighted and lubed my VV cars out of fear of attracting too much dust into the axles, but now that I do this it works great. I've only built one invert and didn't think there was any more speed preservation; then again it was not as well supported.

--------

Ok, so I spent today making the loop and second turn, and although I am mostly satisfied the loop seems a bit rotund to me... although in the past I have felt my loops to be too clothoid, this seems too far in the opposite direction. Also it may be slightly slanted:

IMG_1192_zps30jwvwmo.jpg

IMG_1195_zpswte8h3wh.jpg

IMG_1199_zps5panpp21.jpg

IMG_1200_zpsofx2n8fw.jpg

IMG_1201_zpsvmfyumsw.jpg

Noah

#5 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

Very impressive, looks very smooth! Did you weigh your cars?

#6 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

That's a great looking loop. Try to minimize the shaking at the top and you'll get a bit more speed out of it. And I like what you did with the first inversion.

#7 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it was! The overall look of this is great, and Stig is right, it appears that reducing shaking could add some speed.That was a really cool video for sure. I like this a lot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#8 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Very impressive, looks very smooth! Did you weigh your cars?

Thank you! yes I weighed and lubed them.

That's a great looking loop. Try to minimize the shaking at the top and you'll get a bit more speed out of it. And I like what you did with the first inversion.

Thanks! Yeah, I added a few tension supports but I ran out of all my rods and blue connectors so unfortunately couldn't build anymore tubes.

Wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it was! The overall look of this is great, and Stig is right, it appears that reducing shaking could add some speed.That was a really cool video for sure. I like this a lot.

Thanks, yeah definitely my biggest coaster to date. 

------

So I spent all day yesterday building and since I wanted to film outside and it's going to rain the next week around here I decided to film outdoors - at 1am. Here are the pictures and final video:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2995_zpsz6kxpxau.

IMG_1423_zpsza4vcx82.jpg

IMG_1422_zpsgb7o7miy.jpg

A five-foot lamp and chair for scale:

IMG_1431_zps5obyyjlp.jpg

IMG_1433_zpszyap6nco.jpg

Here's my final video:

Thank you guys for the help, not just on this model but on all of my models throughout the years. I'm gonna take this model to the Bay Area Maker Faire in May and promote sscoasters.net, hopefully get more people into knex again.

Noah

#9 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:53 AM

The last picture looks insane! Very good looking coaster you got there, excellent speed throughout the ride. Well done Noah!

#10 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:07 AM

Firstly, this looks absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite micros.
Second, i too am sad that knex is dying, however I’m still building too.

I’m actually located in Sacramento and had no idea about this Bay Area Makers Fair. Now i want to submit the RMC hybrid that I’m currently working on.

Either way, I’ll definitelt be attending.

#11 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Fantastic build Noah! Loving the creativity of the layout and the shaping is excellent too. 

It's about time someone built another micro coaster! 

Also, don't underestimate the achievement of completing a coaster of that scale and quality in just 2 weeks. I had 3 weeks over Christmas and barely managed 2 elements...

Good luck at the faire - it definitely seems like we're a dying breed these days, but I can't wait to see more coasters from you!

Edited by Batwing, 07 January 2019 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#12 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

^Ditto. 

You have a very promising future in creating micro coasters. It's a wonderful thing you're doing - taking it to the Faire thing. Spreading awareness about the site and stuff, y'know, and to get people into knexing (like you were saying). 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#13 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

This is awesome!!! I love it put in the dark with the light the way you had it for filming, just looks great with the vibrant colours that micro pieces have. Also really love the flow of this coaster with the longer micro train - something I have always been a fan of on bigger and tangled coasters like this one :D

#14 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

This looks very nice! Also, my mind is blown at your speed... How long did it take for you to complete the whole thing? You finished like 2/3 of this in only three days while I might get part of an element finished in that time working at fast as I can... Good luck at the faire! You'll inspire and amaze lots of people with this.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: micro, vv