Knex: The Smiler Re-Creation

the smiler recreation alton towers the smiler recreation

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

I have started the thread for The Smiler Re-Creation as I am starting the project today, bearing cars have not yet arrived as i assume postal services are majorly delayed everywhere. I ordered something on the 1st april with estimated delivery of 4th-6th and it arrived today on the 18th april lol. and going of that amount of delay they wont arrive until near the end of this month lol.

im going to start the build now however, going to start the base / terrain area the the coaster sits on, going to try and make everything to scale if possable and i think it should be fine at fitting in my room this time unlike colossus lol. and for those who was excited for colossus, I will reattempt it once the bearing cars are here and working lol. as im going to have to working backwards though the layout to make sure i can make it as small as possible so it fits im my room lol. at least i will be able to make the theremin good on that on since the coaster wont take up all my knex lol. even what i built last time only used about 3rd of the parts i have lol

#2 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 12:59 PM

The first rods and connectors have been laid, ground zero i like to call it. the floor level represents the lowest parts of the ride, the space where the cobra knot thing sits. the smiler is more of a terrain coaster than the avg population realises. by the time ive finished the terrain under the two lift hill, this section should be about 1 and half to 2 grey rods high. this will be tube supported, but there is so much terrain to work into this recreation, ive gotta kinda get that mostly finished first before laying any track. no rush since the bearing cars are not expected for 1-2 weeks at least.

Attached Files

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

This has been recreated before by TheCodeMaster (formerly known as SFDK800) back in 2013. I remember the track being roughly 200 feet. I think it was made as small as possible so judging from that past recreation, you're going to need A LOT of track... and due to your using tube supports, speed preservation will be a challenge. If I were you, I'd make some measurements to ensure that there is space for this. Also, are you quite certain you'll have the pieces for this? I ask because you said that in your last build you used 1/3 of your pieces. 

I'm not trying to discourage you here - I love The Smiler and it's great to see someone recreating it again. :) You'll be using a lot of pieces on 3D flooring, tubes, and the track. I can definitely see a need for having a backbone on the track. Not to mention pieces for themeing if you were planning on doing that. If you can pull this off without boosters, it'll be amazing. 

(Ah, this reminds me of SheiKra. Others have recreated it before me, but it was always box supports. To my knowledge, I was the first one to recreate SheiKra using tube supports. Now you might be the first person to recreate Smiler with tube supports.) 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

This has been recreated before by TheCodeMaster (formerly known as SFDK800) back in 2013. I remember the track being roughly 200 feet. I think it was made as small as possible so judging from that past recreation, you're going to need A LOT of track... and due to your using tube supports, speed preservation will be a challenge. If I were you, I'd make some measurements to ensure that there is space for this. Also, are you quite certain you'll have the pieces for this? I ask because you said that in your last build you used 1/3 of your pieces. 

I'm not trying to discourage you here - I love The Smiler and it's great to see someone recreating it again. :) You'll be using a lot of pieces on 3D flooring, tubes, and the track. I can definitely see a need for having a backbone on the track. Not to mention pieces for themeing if you were planning on doing that. If you can pull this off without boosters, it'll be amazing. 

(Ah, this reminds me of SheiKra. Others have recreated it before me, but it was always box supports. To my knowledge, I was the first one to recreate SheiKra using tube supports. Now you might be the first person to recreate Smiler with tube supports.) 

yh without booster is the goal, and this will only be possible once johnnys ball bearing Assembly's arrive, i brought a lot of the 45 degree 2 wac connectors, maybe around 500 in total now, for doubling up flexes on the track. in addition to that i have about 8 ss sets and a custom ebay order i brought witch included 250 crossties plus tubing. so around 10 ss sets worth of cross ties, or about 1200+ so thats just over 1000 crossties, the smilers track leanth is about 3800 feet and the scale is around 1/30th so around 126 so lets round that up to 150 feets of track atabout 0.46 feet per flexie rod and useing 5 cross ties per flexy thats around 1600 crossties. so yh it might be a stretch on them but i can allways order more if needed near the end, and i have plenty of parts to do the land scape and stuff.

• SCM likes this

#5 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:57 PM

Bigger update today, got stuck into building tonight and ended it doing more than i thought i would, ive even added some track in places. (2nd lift and brakes before and the air time hill have been started) ive done this more so to gage the scale and sizing of the project. the 2nd half od the ride will be the more difficult half as the trains have to return back to the station on a slightly elevated hight compared to ground zero (bottom of cobra) so if i can get this half of the ride working first then the 1st half of the ride should be a lot more strait forward. 

re-sizing parts of the ride should be strait forward if the cars dont make it through parts of the course. although i have good faith in the ball bearing cars working nicely once they arrive.

im useing the 3D style od building for where terrain would be, and i will be trying to use tube supports as accurately as i can, would be really nice by the end to have the 2 interlocking drops supports look somewhat accurate to the real life coaster, and the same for the cobra knot thing lol.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   105.29KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   89.69KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   129.55KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   98.3KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   166.52KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   124.37KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  7.jpg   101.36KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  8.jpg   120.18KB   0 downloads

#6 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:32 AM

Cool, just remember to get the first and last inversion's shaping right plus if you're doing realistic supports then get at least two different photos for each support, especially with the boxes of the. two drops and the staffordshire knot

Edited by CrayCray for coasters, 20 April 2020 - 08:35 AM.

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#7 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

Cool, just remember to get the first and last inversion's shaping right plus if you're doing realistic supports then get at least two different photos for each support, especially with the boxes of the. two drops and the staffordshire knot

yh im going to spend a lot of time on the shaping of this build, i was doing ome early sizing last night for the dull project and after clearing some more space by moving some bit around in my room ivedefo got enough space to complate it, its gunna be difficult to get the right hights for things untill the bearing cars get here though, as the final half of the coaster dont end at ground zero, it ends like 2 granite rods up from ground zero so its gunna lose a lot of speed on that section, the rest should be ok for speed though

#8 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:30 AM

yh im going to spend a lot of time on the shaping of this build, i was doing ome early sizing last night for the dull project and after clearing some more space by moving some bit around in my room ivedefo got enough space to complate it, its gunna be difficult to get the right hights for things untill the bearing cars get here though, as the final half of the coaster dont end at ground zero, it ends like 2 granite rods up from ground zero so its gunna lose a lot of speed on that section, the rest should be ok for speed though

make sure you get the third to last inversions roughness right

#9 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:44 AM

Make sure you get all the transitions to be as jerky and terrible as the real thing ;) 

#10 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:50 AM

Make sure you get all the transitions to be as jerky and terrible as the real thing ;)

so just coat the track with tiny rocks to bump the car off of then XD i remember it beeing a lot smoother then people make it out to be, but then again im ike 6 foot so my head dont really bang agenst restraints on rides lol

Edited by thegamingninja, 21 April 2020 - 04:51 AM.

#11 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:49 AM

got a bit done today and last night.

Attached Files

#12 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

so just coat the track with tiny rocks to bump the car off of then XD i remember it beeing a lot smoother then people make it out to be, but then again im ike 6 foot so my head dont really bang agenst restraints on rides lol

it Ismail quite smooth, people only hate it for that one jerky transition

#13 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

I must say, this looks really good so far. The shaping and scaling looks on point despite being so small. I hope this project does go well for you! It's got some great potential.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#14 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

It's really hard to find any pictures to compare this to, but it's looking good so far!

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#15 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:48 PM

been messing around with the stafodshire knot today and its not working out to well, the cars are loseing to much speed because its a bit tight.

#16 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

Looks really good so far.  Good luck, this coaster is a large undertaking.  

Posted Image

#17 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:43 AM

any pics?

#18 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:49 PM

yh ill get some in the next couple days, mana try the cobra to get the full affect of the end first 

#19 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:06 PM

would anyone appreciate a tutorial type post on this tread about the importance of heart lining with me building the exit dive look on the smiler recreation as an example?

#20 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:49 AM

I really like this so far! Gives me some great inspection form my own project! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the smiler recreation alton, towers, the, smiler, recreation