Knex: The Smiler Re-Creation

the smiler recreation alton towers the smiler recreation

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:08 AM

I really like this so far! Gives me some great inspection form my own project! 

go for it man, love it when new stuff gets build on the site

#22 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

would anyone appreciate a tutorial type post on this tread about the importance of heart lining with me building the exit dive look on the smiler recreation as an example?

yeah dude

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#23 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:19 AM

Any more progress on the Staffordshire Knot

#24 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:03 PM

Some more progress today, kind of fixed the staffy knot, but hard to build guessing how the bearing cars are going to work, had to widen the corkscrew by moving the brakes and vertical lift over to the left by one section, this should leave enough room for both the dive loops, I want to move the exit from the sea serpent roll back by 1 or 2 granite rods though, so it has enough room to feed through that dive loop ive build as thats how the real coaster goes, also would allow me to make that airtime hill into the cobra a tiny bit bigger like it is in real like, i remember getting a lot of air time from that when riding it. 

Attached Files

#25 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

Some more progress today, kind of fixed the staffy knot, but hard to build guessing how the bearing cars are going to work, had to widen the corkscrew by moving the brakes and vertical lift over to the left by one section, this should leave enough room for both the dive loops, I want to move the exit from the sea serpent roll back by 1 or 2 granite rods though, so it has enough room to feed through that dive loop ive build as thats how the real coaster goes, also would allow me to make that airtime hill into the cobra a tiny bit bigger like it is in real like, i remember getting a lot of air time from that when riding it. 

quick tip' watch loads of offrides for supports and onrides for track shaping+ the dive loop starts banking a little later than you have it now, it also has a whip when it gets inverted like the old B&M inverts

the SSC discord https://discord.gg/EsfJzfM

Edited by CrayCray for coasters, 30 April 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#26 RidesByDaan

RidesByDaan

Entry Engineer

• 704 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

I love that shaping! It looks so good!

#27 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 03:34 PM

Fantastic shaping. I really hope you get this thing done. 

#28 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

Fantastic shaping. I really hope you get this thing done. 

I hope so to, just depends on weather the bearings come or not lol, if not ill have to buy some similar size bearings online and try to make my own lol

#29 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:11 AM

When I saw the title I was super worried because this is a hard ride to recreate. But it looks like you have a very solid start so far. Really liking how it's turning out!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#30 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

very good so far, note the fact that the supports for the first drop are insanely hard to build, make sure to use triangles everywhere including on the supports, you can slot 3d connectors into the tubes to connect diagonal rods to the support it attaches to.

#31 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:58 PM

As everyone else has said, the shaping is phenomenal.  Keep at it!

Posted Image

#32 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

Any more progress Ryan?

#33 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:31 PM

Any more progress Ryan?

na sorry been at my gf's for a week, im back now though so im gunna make some more progress in a few days probably, im thinking of starting the cobra and the rolls / corkscrew things after it, cant do much in each day atm because im waiting for bearings. if jhonny or somone could show me a way to make my own untill the postage thing caches up that would be great

#34 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

although, tbh i dont expent much if any progress to get done without the bearing cars, i might make another small coaster in the mean time, not sure yet

#35 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

Just curious where are you ordering the bearing cars from? I would like to order some too. But, other than waiting for those, your layout is really nice with excellent shaping.

#36 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:18 PM

Just curious where are you ordering the bearing cars from? I would like to order some too. But, other than waiting for those, your layout is really nice with excellent shaping.

I brought some from johnny, he has a bearing cars forum on this site you can probably find it, though he hesitant about sending over seas as so far 2 sets have got lost in the mail. so idk if i will actually get any lol, they might show up in a day, week or a month or maybe just never, i have no clue, and for this im thinking of scrapping the project sooner rather than latter and just making a few custom coasters while i wait to sorce either my own bearings and some custom made assemblyes out of wood or somthing or if Johnny's ones show up. I hope his ones turn up as they look really good, and with some good weight optimisations and track stiffening, shouldn't be to far off the speed of real coasters, maybe just a tittle slower because of the soft rubber tubing for track vs steel on real coaster exc...  

I really want to create some coasters but at the same time I want to create them with minimal limits thanks to the bearings, will just have to keep waiting.

#37 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

just buy the bearings and follow his tutorial, there are loads of 3 d printing warehouses in the uk

#38 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:20 PM

just buy the bearings and follow his tutorial, there are loads of 3 d printing warehouses in the uk

my set came, gunna continue to buy the set hes just printed of though so i can have both spare parts and be able to have either a long ass train or a 2nd long ish strain on a larger coasteri can have 2 x 2 car trains, or 1 5 car train atm. so its enough for the size of my room but for future larger coasters it will be nice to have a lot of spare parts to have a 6 or 7 car train.

#39 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:33 PM

https://strawpoll.com/4da7622s vote please, this thread will continue to be used aswell as the colossus one, as I do intend to finish these coasters hopefully in 2020 but you never know lol

#40 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 11:33 PM

anyone done any testing yet for the friction multiplier on planet coaster and which setting would be closest to both plastic wheels and bearing wheels on knex cars, trying to play around with some recreations of rides on here seeing what ones would be fee sable now with the new bearings, the smiler can run as low as 1.2 friction, which might be close to johnnys bearings than the plastic wheels

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the smiler recreation alton, towers, the, smiler, recreation