• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyR24

JohnnyR24

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hey everyone, lately I've been modeling and printing some 1/24th scale Magnum Xl-200 trains.

These 1/24th trains were a little small for K'nex so the past couple weeks I worked with Chaos to make some trains that would fit the K'nex track. Chaos is making a Magnum XL-200 inspired coaster called Magnum XL-300 (300 cm tall) where we will be testing out these trains and pushing these bearing assemblies past anything he or I have done with them thus far!  

Here's a little video that gives some background on the trains.

Have a good one! 

Edited by JohnnyR24, 03 March 2021 - 03:40 PM.

• BGTKing likes this

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Awesome trains Johnny! Now here's the "track" update!

#3 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:03 PM

The lift hill structure and chain is complete!

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:37 AM

This one is going to be epic. I can only imagine how many pieces you're going to need to complete this ride. Are you using the fence to help stabilize the lift Hill or do you need to add lateral supports? It looks pretty sturdy as is which is amazing. That train is also amazing Johnny did some great work there!

#5 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:20 PM

Those trains are awesome. I remember seeing some progress on 3D printed trains, those axels look amazing,  I'm definitely going to try a variant.

Would you be willing to share the.stil files/other purchased parts?

Edited by DDRman732865, 05 March 2021 - 09:23 PM.

#6 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:33 PM

Those trains are incredible! I can't wait for more ;) 

#7 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:22 AM

Yes - we have been using the fence to strengthen the supports. And sticking the K'nex rods into the ground for the bottom of the first drop - which is now complete!

#8 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

This is amazing! I'm so hyped for the next update!

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

Next update is here! First two hills are done. Next element is gonna be a little bit different and crazy. Excited to see how it turns out.

#10 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

Really nice project! looking forward to see some nice helices throughout the end of the ride! 

I'd love the experience this first hill. I looks like intense ejector! 

#11 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:13 PM

We'll see if I have the speed and space for a helix, but hope this next element makes up for it! The non-inverting pretzel knot is one of the most complicated elements I've ever done, but it's turned out alright. I still need to beef up the supports and finish up the arch aesthetics.

#12 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:37 PM

We'll see if I have the speed and space for a helix, but hope this next element makes up for it! The non-inverting pretzel knot is one of the most complicated elements I've ever done, but it's turned out alright. I still need to beef up the supports and finish up the arch aesthetics.

not what i was expecting, but awesome none the less

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#13 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:41 AM

The shape.. the beauty.. 

Honestly, Chaos, Johnny, congratulations this looks amazing already

#14 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:52 AM

Really nice guys, really nice, very creative. I love the narration I just can't wait for the next update. I would have freaked out if my 12 ft lift Hill toppled over! What seriously blows my mind about this is how you have painted that many cross ties red. How are you managing that? how long does it take to paint them, and is that slowing down your progress on the ride at all? What kind of paint are you using? Does it chip off easily? Can't wait for the next update.

#15 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:44 AM

^I've actually filmed a step by step tutorial on how to dye the cross ties. It hasn't really slowed down the process, since I usually do it when it rains and I cant build outside anyway.

Got another update! Track is over halfway done! Have a little less speed than before, but I'm pretty sure that's only because the temperature went from being in the 50s (F) to being in the 80's.

#16 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:03 AM

Yeah it's funny I noticed that my trains work so much better when it's really cold in my basement. Love the look of that so far though and the warm weather actually makes the speed look a little bit more realistic.

#17 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:27 PM

Looks amazing! The pretzel knot is really cool and unexpected and the colors make this stand out a lot.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#18 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:14 AM

Return trip airtime hills are done! Also, the reduced speed in this video is because the wheels are getting dirty (not any temperature issues).

Hope to be finishing this coaster up in the next week.

• Muzz135 likes this

#19 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

Almost done! The layout is complete, as well as the entrance sign. Now I just have to add the drill, finish the station, and add some mechanisms for two train operation. This is likely the final update before the official POVs and Final Videos.

• Muzz135 likes this

#20 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

Two train operation mechanism has been installed. There should be a better loo later, but basically there is a lever on the final brake run that pulls a string that releases a stopper at the station, which then resets via counterweight. So the previous train releases the train ahead without actually touching it.

Still finishing up the station. Hope to have the first of the final videos up next week.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printed