Need help! Can't figure out where I'm losing speed.

3d printed custom cylincers electronics motor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vasbear

Vasbear

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hey Guys, I'm working on my first SS Style coaster and I'm at a lose as to where I'm losing speed. I've attached some pictures to the post:

Currently I'm getting about 50% return on my height. The drop pictured is about 15 Yellow Rods + the connectors and the car stops after climbing back up about 7 yellow rods.

If anyone can point me to where I'm going wrong, that would be a great help. and if pictures of a specific area are needed please ask i will upload them.

the only idea that has been somewhat promising was my roommates idea of finding a way to lubricate the wheels of the car.

29959480056_82b5dae9bf_k.jpg

29366019834_6209c68b2e_k.jpg

29959484446_a2552ba305_k.jpg

29366022974_64a978f38e_k.jpg

29366017444_f4a69bad41_k.jpg

Edited by Vasbear, 28 September 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#2 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

That pullout seems really sharp. Also the drop and rise need to be better supported. Any flexing is all lost energy.

Here is a good thread on lubricating too: http://www.sscoaster...g-why-should-i/

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

I like how many pieces you have there ;). Adding onto what King ^ said: Yeah, you REALLY need to support it better. Even the supports themselves need to be supported better. Hold on, I'll be right back with a helpful edit to one of the pictures. *back* Here:

supportshelp

It is vital to use triangles when building coasters, as they are the strongest shape. Although you are using triangles, you aren't using them efficiently. No matter how much backbone you put on those supports, it cannot stand against the force of the train. Add some diagonals going off of the vertical supports. The most important thing to remember: the track should hug the supports. Hopefully I didn't come off as mean or anything.... good luck. : ) 

Edited by SCM, 29 September 2016 - 08:39 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

if I remember correctly, the most efficient I've seen is like 70-80%? 

A big, flowing pullout and sturdy supports are the first way you should be looking to improve that track

#5 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

If you looks at some other box supported models on the database, you can get some good examples of coasters that have great supports throughout the track. I always keep the supports as close to the track as possible and many track supports to retain the best height and speed of the train. I have some of the best height loss on the sight cause I also take good care of my trains and track too. Make sure you weigh you trains with pennies too it helps, look a that tutorial in the forums if you need help with that.

Edited by IOAgeek, 01 October 2016 - 10:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printed, custom, cylincers, electronics, motor