The Longest Thread

• Please log in to reply
45735 replies to this topic

#44281 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Do any of you old people have experience negotiating starting pay and vacation?  I've got a few job offers for my post college carrer but the one that I think is the best fit for me is low balling my pay rate and vacation days. 

#44282 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

You've got a few options. If you have better offers, show them to the company you want to work for. Most companies will match. Second, write a up a short letter with what you want and why you think you deserve it. They will either say no, yes, or come back with something in between. It never hurts to ask.

#44283 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

^Thanks man, My plan is to call them. I think it'll be beneficial to be a little more personal with this kinda thing 

#44284 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

I just got done watching an Anacondas movie (The Hunt for the Blood Orchid). I quite enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I love these weird movies during the early 2000s. The snakes were cool, and especially the stone spider. About to get into a spoiler, so be warned; 

The movie was about a group of rich people who set out to find this rare orchid flower that could prolong the life of humans. They had to go out into the jungle. Since they worked for a wonderful company, they didn't get a boat or anything. Luckily, they found a local captain that offered to take them up the river for a fee of $25,000. Everything went on okay, until this one crew member (I'll call him Captain Moron) did a private deal with the captain and told him to go through the quick route, even though it would be dangerous. After their boat crashed from a waterfall, the rest of the crew was focused on surviving and getting out. Captain Moron was focused on getting the flowers. So, time passes, and soon everyone knows about the anacondas. Everyone wants to get the hell out of there, but Captain Moron is like "We're still getting those flowers." He plotted against his team, using the stone spider to murder someone who found out about his plans. Eventually, a team member found out about the spider bite. They had a raft made, and by the time they figured it out, Captain Moron stole the raft and headed to the flowers, leaving the rest of the team stranded with the anacondas. Near the end of the movie, everyone catches up to him at the flower place. He holds everyone at gunpoint, screaming to them to get the flowers. Everyone that tried to stop him got shot. He didn't care about anyone on his team, he got the flowers he was after, and that's all that mattered. Finally, he was bitten by the same spider he used to kill another team member, and Captain Moron was killed by an anaconda. That felt good. 

When it comes to characters like Captain Moron, I always imagine Zoom or some other speed demon taking them away with a flash of lightning. Even in my dreams, I've encountered a few people like Captain Moron. Bad luck for them, because I often tend to be a villain in my dreams... once I levitated a really bad person in the air and wrapped them in vines made of darkness. Long story short, I just really hate people like Captain Moron. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44285 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hmmm. Small scale terrorist attack in London. It was only a matter of time to be honest but it doesn't make things any easier to deal with.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44286 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

Pretty much impossible to stop crazies from doing crazy things unfortunately.

#44287 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Unfortunately true. Seems like everyone is banding together well to get through it. What else can you do except hope that they can stop the next one? Although when someone tried to do something in Glasgow, they got punched and kicked while on fire. Hopefully that's put them off here for a while.

Edited by CW5X, 23 March 2017 - 07:12 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#44288 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

As far as I can tell, there were no models made for the Winter Contest?

#44289 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

From what I could find, only two entries would've been, but they seemed to have both been canceled, unfortunately... 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44290 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Finally watched Rogue One (no spoilers included!) after months of waiting for the digital release to come. I really liked it and didn't find the controversial CG-face-plastering of Gov Tarkin (Peter Cushing) that bad - yeah, some scenes of his face looked CG, but it was much better than I was expecting. It's certainly one of my favorite SW films. And that ending, really just the last three minutes, was so satisfying......

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 26 March 2017 - 10:26 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#44291 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

I like Rogue One better than VII simply because it actually had an original story.

#44292 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

episode VII is too similar to a new hope, I still liked it better than Rogue one though. Probably because I didn't really care for the main characters.

Also just noticed today that this hill on mean streak is insane

17494240_1895007894116795_87383230148373

Edited by < NCcoaster >, 27 March 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#44293 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:18 AM

*viciously trying to contain the hype within myself for rmc-treak

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#44294 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

Booked a trip to Disney for next month. Will be my son's first visit.

#44295 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Force Awakens was still much better than the prequels, even while copying the great moments of the original trilogy. With that said, I thought Rogue One was one of the best Star Wars movies despite being a spin off. My order is:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Rogue One

3. New Hope

4. Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Phantom Menace

193,858. Attack of the Clones

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#44296 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

My nine year old cat died today :(

#44297 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

Sorry to hear that!

Haven't seen Rogue One yet. Should be arriving in the mail soon, but who knows when I will have the time to watch.

#44298 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:25 AM

Being as I grew up watching the prequel trilogy I must say they are highly underrated. Even though the storyline is a bit weak at times, and the acting was incredibly cheesy at moments, it was an interesting journey. I highly enjoy the prequel trilogy as equal as the original trilogy. That being said, I did like Rouge One considerably. I saw it opening night and believe it or not, the theater was half empty. I was kind of stunned.
In my personal opinion, the list goes like this.
1. Empire strikes back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. The Phantom Menace
4. Revenge of the Sith
5 A New Hope
6. Rouge one
7. The Force Awakens
8. Attack of the clones
You may wonder why The Phantom Menace is so high on my list, but it's because I grew up on this movie. I would beg to watch it and because my mom was very anti Star Wars, it was a treat when you would be able to actually see it. My mom thought Star Wars was some kind of witchcraft that was going to corrupt my mind. Weird right?

Edited by Connector1o1, 29 March 2017 - 02:26 AM.

• SCM and Connector1o1 like this

Signature not available 

#44299 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

...my mom was very anti Star Wars, it was a treat when you would be able to actually see it. My mom thought Star Wars was some kind of witchcraft that was going to corrupt my mind. Weird right?

Okay, I'm sorry, but... *bursts out laughing* I'd understand that bias for things like Harry Potter and BBC Merlin, but not for Star Wars... well, except for "the force". Levitating stuff, y'know... because special effects aren't real. It's all a conspiracy. They are using its popularity as a way to grab this nation's youth and drag them into a void of an inescapable trance. For once the SW Cult is formed, only he who is born of the king can save them. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#44300 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

It seems like Episode V tends to be at the top of people's lists, and I have to agree. Empire Strike Back and A New Hope are definitely my favorites.

I'm going to Universal Hollywood tomorrow and SFMM on Friday - it's been too long since I rode a coaster! Almost 4 months.