400 replies to this topic

#21 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Right now, Im saying Mega looper.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#22 Pleasureland Fan

Pleasureland Fan

Rita : QoS coming soon

• 400 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - in fact, so surprised I came back after 6 months just to mention this!

A couple of years ago (?) Intamin had a fully working prototype of a 4D Coaster, based on their current track system. Now this hasn't been brought to date - but having seen the photos of the signs outside the construction area would it perhaps be reasonable to suggest that we see a new, Intamin-designed 4D Coaster and not a megalooper or otherwise? It would certainly fit the bill at the moment.

It's unlikely to be a record breaking coaster - the park have chased records for too long now. It's unlikely to be a looper- the park have Raptor and Corkscrew for that. It's also unlikely to be a speed coaster- Millenium Force fits that bill. The layout of the footers, approximated into a layout, would suggest a 4D coaster- very twisted to bring out the best experience in conjunction with the seat rotation (which I believe is limited but NOT controlled in the Intamin design).

Thoughts?

#23 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

Intamin has a so-called "Ball Coaster", which might be a 4D coaster.
I'm not sure it's controlled, but it does spin.

Posted Image

#24 Westside7th

Westside7th

Adrenaline Junkie

• 4275 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

I am not sure of the truth to the statement but I read somewhere a while ago that the ball coaster is controlled. It uses magnets to control the rotation. However, I don't know if that is true. A free spinning coaster would be very intense.

The Coasters of Westside7th

2003 - Thunder Twist | Iron Falcon | Insanity | Voltage | Banshee

2004 - Centaur | Polar Plunge | Chaos | Nessie | Eclipse | Desert Eagle

2005 - K2 | Jaguar

#25 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:25 PM

Pleasurelandfan, Although Raptor, Corkscrew, and Mantis are great loopers, I still think we need another one. Out of 16 coasters, 3, yes, 3 go upside down. Compare that to magic Mountain's 8(or however many they have). We haven't gotten a looper since 96. For a park that builds so much, you can expect to see more in that amount of time. This is why I feel it will be a mega looper.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan

#26 Pleasureland Fan

Pleasureland Fan

• 400 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:21 AM

Jogumpie, yes, that was the coaster I was referring to. I now recall that, yes, the rotation IS controlled by magnets - makes sense, as a free rotating ride would indeed be a very intense and unsafe experience.

Perhaps if such a ride IS built, it will have inversions so as to kill two birds with one stone- that is, have a new ride experience whilst adding to the inversion lineup at the park already.

Once more pieces of track come we'll have a much better idea about what it will be, of course. But I think it's safe to say, there'll be no 500ft+ coaster :)

#27 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

^I think your right. And I think it could be a looper, but I would be dissopointed. Mantis must only be fun for the scenery. I've ridden on scream before, it's the most boring thing in the world. You pull like, half a G on the loops, and there is no float air...
I personnely would be very dissipointed to see a mega looper...
-TD

#28 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:41 AM

I absolutely loved Mantis and Scream!, and i dont know where you're coming from. Plus, they are two completely different types! Mantis is a standup and scream! is a floorless. Scream! was just well designed to pull fewer G's in the loops, but in the other inversions i felt a good amount of G's. Mantis's layout is (IMO) better than Scream!'s, and the inclined loop is amazing.

Pleasurelandfan brings up a couple good points, but from the size of that test of the ball coaster, i'm really doubting they are going to get such a huge coaster out of that design. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, though, because CP always gets something newer and better (usually) than anyone has seen before.

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#29 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:48 AM

I guess your right about mantis, I love Ridlers Revenge... But how could you like Scream!?!?!? It's so boring. Big loopers are boring.
Anyway, did you ever see one of the test tracks for "X"? It was dinky! maybe 40ft. long.
-TD

#30 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Still, you guys have to think about the ball coaster deeper. It was made to be a coaster that can't turn. Only flip. It goes in a vertical layout for tight spaces. They wouldn't build something that small for that big of an area.

Posted Image

#31 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

Didn't Cedar Point mention something about not putting in any more prototypes?

#32 Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Lead Engineer

• 1093 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:02 AM

I'm going to agree with rollerdude. CP has been in need of some loops! I think, for now, the mega looper idea is the only plausible coaster to add.

TTDfreak ;)

#33 Pleasureland Fan

Pleasureland Fan

• 400 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

It was made to be a coaster that can't turn. Only flip. It goes in a vertical layout for tight spaces.

What, just like the Dive Machine was never built to be in a 3 car configuration, and never built to go upside down... ;) We certainly got the unthinkable with SheiKra, a perfect example of stretching a coaster's design parameters. Thusly, why can't it happen with the ball coaster?

#34 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

1) No more prototypes
2)The car is on both sides of the track. Unless every turn was banked perfectly at 90*, the inside passanger car has a chance of clipping the track.
3)Triangular Intamin track has been spotted, the ball coaster needs the quad track to run

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#35 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

Um... I have a question what is the ball coasters?

Yeah I was thinking the other day about cedar point not having any normal loopers... I doubt this coaster will be something like every other coaster, cedar point is usually trying to go for something better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#36 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

See the image on the first page of the thread.

#37 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

Oh, Thanks BGTking. Hmm... this looks WAY to big to be a ball coaster... I wish this is a 4D! It looks like a floorless for me though... Can't wait for more pictures to know more about this! I'm going to CP in august.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 poizone

poizone

Small Spaces

• 995 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

I have pix from yesterday, because we rode the train right by the site, but I can't get to my computer. I do know that a sign said: We're doin' some sidewindin'

I think that that puts the scales more towards a 4D.

Currently compiling a massive list

#39 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

2)The car is on both sides of the track. Unless every turn was banked perfectly at 90*, the inside passanger car has a chance of clipping the track.

What are you smoking? X is the same thing, you never clip the track on that. Plus, The rider is parralel to the track even through turns.
Posted Image
-TD

#40 Pleasureland Fan

Pleasureland Fan

• 400 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

What are you smoking? X is the same thing, you never clip the track on that. Plus, The rider is parralel to the track even through turns.
Posted Image
-TD

I was thinking the same! Clipping would not be a problem. And, just as a piece of advice... the reason the quad track was shown on the prototype is due to the layout it uses. It needs to be supported well on the inside... thus the quad configuration (or, box-type) is used.

EDIT- Found a good example with a fair few photos of the prototype ball coaster. This is translated from German to English. Scroll down to subheading "Intamin".
Intamin Ball Coaster