• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 makled24

makled24

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hi. I am the master of speed loss. :) Besides lubing and weighting my cars how can I get good speed and keep it. Also what is the major cause of speed loss. Thank You very much

#2 jakeryan9

jakeryan9

Construction Foreman

• 204 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Yay I helped you!

The major cause of loss of speed is having your coaster un-supported. Another is bumps in the track.

You can check the axles of your car for dirt or air, make more track to structure connections, and look for bumps in the track.

Helixes also tend to cause speed loss.

Posted Image

SFMM FTW!

#3 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I've tried and tried stuff nothing has worked lub your cars with olive oil you wont have to rub it off on the cars but the track yes, also add as many supports as possable.

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#4 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

Like ^^ said, if your track is unsupported you will loose a lot of speed. Also, try to make your track strong and smooth. Take a look at this : http://www.sscoaster...ect-track-8416/. It will help you.

Posted Image

#5 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

Also, use C55 guide to perfect cars:http://www.sscoaster...fect-cars-8203/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#6 makled24

makled24

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thanks Guys. Ill look in to this stuff. Also any tips on supports? Good support that conserves pieces because I dont have much :(. Last how can I make a drop lift higher then 45 degrees. Thanks

#7 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Have you gotten into linear functions and graphing them in math? If you have, just raise the "rise over run" ratio. At a 45* drop, you have a 1:1 ; granite:green ratio. To get it steeper, increase the granites in the ratio to 2:1 ; granite:green ratio. Here is an attempt at a visual aid:

Right now a 45* Lift and drop looks like ( '/' and '\' are green rods at 45* (ignore the dots...I need them for spaceing issues):

......... _
......../...\
......./.....\
....../.......\
...../.........\

Now increase the granites to make your drop steeper ('/' and '\' represent greens at 45* again and ' l ' represents a granite rod straight up (perpendicular to the floor):

..........._
........./...\
......./......l
...../........\
.../............\

Try it out, and if you don't get it, look at other coasters around the site. This should help, if not feel free to ask questions.

Good luck :)

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#8 makled24

makled24

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

I c what you are saying but is there anyway u can get a picture of this layout?

#9 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

You can find plenty of examples just looking in the Gallery/Database sections.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: basics, help with speed, speed, spped loss