over banked turn turn woodie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I AM NEW TO THIS WHOLE CUSTOM BUILDING THING. AND I AHVE NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE AN OVER BANKED TURN. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!? I NEED, NEED, NEED, NEED, ONE FOR MY NEXT WOODIE COASTER. IT NEEDS TO BE ABOUT 6 DARK GRAY PIECES TALL, AND 180 DEGREE TURN. FOR A WOODEN COASTER. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.

#2 rsteele06711

rsteele06711

Go Bulls!

• 323 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

First, you have to learn to build for yourself. This is the first time I have ever said this to you. We are only here to help you get better. Youre not ging to get better if you dont try.
Secondly, a woodie is not going to have an overbanked turn.

Posted Image

RK500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Spitfire!

#3 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

not exactly overbanked.....but in the air........ya......its hard to explain the picture in my haead. i have tried...but it dosent work out when i try. so im confused.

#4 rsteele06711

rsteele06711

Go Bulls!

• 323 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

Can I see a picture of your "attempt?"

Posted Image

RK500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Spitfire!

#5 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

Look. We've asked you for pictures more than once already. I understand your confusion but you've been disregarding our requests constantly. No pictures, no help is possible. That's all.

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#6 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

here you go

#7 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

i need help getting it to run smoothly!! please? i found out what i was thinking....it needs to be around the lines of a woodie turning drop! i could really, really, use some help

#8 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

It's not terrible. I think what you need is to have it bank sooner, so you have less lateral g's in the first part of the overbank.

#9 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

Dude no, that is my picture. From a coaster I made a year ago.

That's what he wants it to look like.

Pianoman, we need pictures of YOUR coaster before we can say anything.

#10 Rollerboaster

Rollerboaster

Anti-anti conformist

• 1010 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

What the hell, you need to stop making these stupid tutorial threads its pissing me off. I never used a tutorial when I was learning how to build...

Posted Image

inclusive shipping

#11 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Take it from another newbie. The best way to learn is to just start building, posts pics of what you have as you go and listen to all the advice you get. The established members here are not going to tell you exactly how to build it but will definitely point you in the right direction. The second most important thing you can do is look at pictures of as many of the better built coasters as you can. Look at the details and see what the more experienced builders do. If you can't figure out why they did something just ask, most will explain it well.

This was the first woodie I ever built.

http://www.sscoaster...s-runnin-10778/

That first turn took me almost a whole weekend to get right. I looked at as many woodies in the coaster database as I could find and all of the recent construction threads for ideas.

From what you describe, my first turn is very close to what you want. Use it to get ideas and start building. If you copy it piece for piece you won't learn. I found that it is simplest to over build it using all base sized rods (in my case granites) and 3D connectors, then go over it and look for places you can improvise to use longer rods and regular connectors so you use less of the pieces you are going to run out of first. I made tons of modifications to that turn after it was built. Even then, if I was starting over there are things I would do differently now.

You want to learn as much as you can from what others have done while at the same time developing your own personal building style. You'll feel a lot more of a sense of accomplishment if you do it on your own. I used a tutorial to build a corkscrew in one of my first coasters. It was great for getting something built quickly but it was no where near as satisfying as if I had figured it out myself.

These guys may seem harsh but they really do like to help, you just have to give them something to go on and show you are willing to put in some effort to learn as well. I went from not having a clue to being told I built a great coaster in a matter of weeks.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#12 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

okay that is not my coaster.....thats what it looks lke! second, my camera is broken so ull have to deal with it. third dont tell me not to ask quetins cuz i did it in the questions forum...thats what its here for...i need help.....deal with it! can anyone help or not?! also jenna's dad....that turn after the drop.....IS EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR!!!!!!! thanks a ton.....just needed the right picture..thats all!! but i wont copy it....just needed something like it :)

#13 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

pianoman, you're welcome.

don't forget that you are new to this community, you want the help of others, best is to be accommodating and grateful of the people who have been here. Telling people to "deal with it" isn't going to win to many friends. again, remember you are asking for their help, try asking nicely.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#14 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

English 101 Dictionary

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#15 mynci321

mynci321

100%

• 664 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

okay that is not my coaster.....thats what it looks lke! second, my camera is broken so ull have to deal with it. third dont tell me not to ask quetins cuz i did it in the questions forum...thats what its here for...i need help.....deal with it! can anyone help or not?! also jenna's dad....that turn after the drop.....IS EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR!!!!!!! thanks a ton.....just needed the right picture..thats all!! but i wont copy it....just needed something like it :)

We are not able to help you unless we have pictures of your coaster. We have no clue what yours looks like, so can't give you advice on how to make it better. Also, if your cameras broken, get it fixed or buy a new one.

Posted Image

#16 colintaylor

colintaylor

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

OKAY:) THANKS EVERYONE.

#17 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

this saddens me.

Posted Image

#18 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

it takes alot of trial and error to get it right or how you want it. overbank turns are very hard to make it took a whole weekend to get the one on my current work in progess how i wanted it

here are two pics:

http://s885.photobuc...nt=DSCF0042.jpg

http://s885.photobuc...nt=DSCF0044.jpg

and it still isnt perrfect

#19 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

I know you've been told already, but you probably haven't seen it yet. "Bumping" dead threads is posting in a thread more than a month old. Nothing serious, though. 99% of noobs do it, so nothing personal. We just get annoyed if you continue after we tell you to stop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: over banked turn, turn, woodie