kingdaka876

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

In general, what are you opinions of the current generator of K'NEX Micro Coasters? Will builders of micro coasters eventually take over the Screamin' Serpent base that exists now? Do you think micro coasters have the potential that has been realized with the Screamin' Serpent sets over the years?

#2 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Well I like to think of Micro Coasters vs. SS/RR as iOS vs. Android. iOS is closed source and Android is open source and more customizable, whereas Micro Coasters have pre-determined pieces of track which make it extremely difficult to make what you want, and in SS, you can customize every single thing down to every part of the track. I think SS are where it's at and unless K'nex starts making a different type of Micro Coasters track, SS will reign supreme (at least here on SSC).

http://www.youtube.com/metallicais1337
^My YouTube Channel (FL Studio songs, Custom Guitar Hero charts)^

#3 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. VV loses speed a lot faster than SS unless done perfectly. An advantage that VV has over SS is that it doesn't take up as much room so you can build a larger coaster. I personally like both types. I don't like one type more than the other. I'm mainly doing VV more than SS because I have more micro track then I do SS. Although SS is quickly catching up. At the end it all comes down to a persons preference. I mainly build VV to show everyone that it has a lot more potential then what you think. SS has A LOT more customisation which allows for more realistic banked turns.

So like I said before it all comes down to what a person prefers.

#4 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

i really dont like vv at all because it seems really hard to build them and make them look good. also it hards to make strong track. SS all the way

#5 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

I very much dislike VV. But odds are, we are going to have to evolve over the years to VV as the number of SS lowers. Still, I prefer SS.

Posted Image

#6 love4kanex

love4kanex

Architect

• 334 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I like both, as simple as that. Also i think that eventually VV is going to take over unless K'nex makes something different.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coaster Count: 36

Knex Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/love4knex

New channel with funny videos:
http://www.youtube.c...ideosandstuff11

#7 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

:nono VV will never do it. SS forever.

Kr11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#8 mynci321

mynci321

100%

• 664 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

When I first joined here, I only had VV. I thought it was very good, but after awhile I got SS sets, and quickly saw how much better they were. While VV track is good for beginners, and it's a lot easier to build, I like SS better for its customizability and how more realistic it can be. I'm not sure that I will build another VV coaster as of now. If k'nex releases more things for VV (like the curved tracks), then I could see it becoming more popular here, but as of now SS is a lot better.

Posted Image

#9 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

ive never had any Micro coasters, so i truely wouldnt know just how bad they are, but they're definately 2nd to SS

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#10 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

VV looks out of proportion. I prefer SS just for the size.

I wish I could make flat turns with VV. I believe you can only make banked turns or 45° banked turns. Correct?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

VV looks out of proportion. I prefer SS just for the size.

I wish I could make flat turns with VV. I believe you can only make banked turns or 45° banked turns. Correct?

The curve pieces can be any degree of banking. The problem is the size limit.

#12 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

The curve pieces can be any degree of banking.

Not true. Think about it this way: a straight piece can be looped around and put on its side, and that's a 90* banked turn. Now if you tried to make a 45* banked turn using a straight piece, you'd run into problems. Same with if you tried making a 0* turn, you would need different pieces for all of these. That's one reason SS is superior to VV.

#13 love4kanex

love4kanex

Architect

• 334 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Not true. Think about it this way: a straight piece can be looped around and put on its side, and that's a 90* banked turn. Now if you tried to make a 45* banked turn using a straight piece, you'd run into problems. Same with if you tried making a 0* turn, you would need different pieces for all of these. That's one reason SS is superior to VV.

Actually, you're wrong. Knex has made curved pieces and everything that tornado96 said is 100% true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coaster Count: 36

Knex Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/love4knex

New channel with funny videos:
http://www.youtube.c...ideosandstuff11

#14 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Actually, you're wrong. Knex has made curved pieces and everything that tornado96 said is 100% true.

But what about angles like 22.5* or 60*? you can only have 0, 45, and 90* banks as far as I know. My point is that it's just not as flexible (no pun intended) as SS.

#15 CCC

CCC

ChristianCoasterCreator

• 231 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

I hate em' although I'm getting one for my GF for her first set. I think k'nex ruined the franchise with micro knex & knex bricks. I think they should atleast produce 1 regular coaster set. I used to have 3 VV sets. Then my dads house burned down. This is what they do! But anyways I will always be loyal to SS sets.

Coasters Are My Hobby
Jesus Is My Life

Posted Image

My YouTube Page

#16 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I am not a big fan of them, but they do look pretty cool with tube supports. I do not believe that they are the future. SS is what it is about.

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#17 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

First let me start by saying, yes, SS gives way for way more creativity. It seems like all the best pieces are standard knex. The TT motors, hinges, flexies. No, I don't see VV ever 'overtaking' SS.

Sadly, I never got to build with SS. But I did get to play with my cousin's SS once. I started with the original k'nex roller coaster set. I made the two coasters on the box, made a few short coasters. Then spent the rest of the time making flat rides.

When I first laid eyes on my first VV set, I remember thinking, "Look at all this track!" Then slowly, I started to realize vv's shortcomings, the vv motor was weak, the track couldn't turn, and a lot of the pieces were very fragile and broke.

However, by the time I had my first VV set, I had already sold all my standard parts: a terrible mistake.

Then, they came back and fixed some issues. They now have curved track, they now come with standard motors, stronger 3d connectors, the rods match up with the normal ones, the cars are shiny, and best of all: standard-to-micro parts!

But there is no getting away from the other problems. Even in tube form, micro rods are very bendy and weak. The chain links are weak and like to undo themselves or get jammed.

But since you asked for my honest opinion of K'nex micro coasters:
I like them a lot. I think they have a lot of potential that we haven't seen yet. I think they look better. I like the smaller track and cars. It means that you can build a large VV coaster in a small footprint (Euphoria was hardly bigger than my pool table). Depending on which track guide you use (Bballer347, tornado96, Stig) for any particular coaster, the track looks very realistic (at least to me). The track still has it's disadvantages, yes. But it can do quite a lot.

You SS guys are lucky, many of you have coaster building down to a science. You have a head start on us. Meanwhile, us VV guys are still toying around with, "I wonder if I can add an extra rod in here to make it stronger." But, I think, in time, VV coasters will start to look much better.

Bottom line: If you put in the extra effort, you get satisfying results.

...And this concludes my essay on my opinion of micro coasters.

#18 RCExtreme

RCExtreme

Entry Engineer

• 851 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. SS is more customizable, while VV is easier to build with. But I don't think that VV will "take over". In fact, I believe that K'nex may begin making SS sets pretty soon.

#19 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

VV has come a long way since it first came out. Euphoria was an awesome coaster period, SS or VV.

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#20 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

I know I've already stated my opinion many times in this thread, but I just remembered something else I wanted to say:

K'nex is a company. They have marketing strategies, just like any other company. They think of what's best for the majority of their customers, not us select few who are serious about custom coasters. I view Micro Coasters and K'nex bricks as their step forward, moving away from the old, standard K'nex and making something that will please most of their consumers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kingdaka876