coaster season starts

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coaster constructed in this manner. It's so interesting to watch.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#42 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Looks good for a station in this tight of a limitation! I am dying to see what will become of that banked hill from the drop. Will stay tuned for this ride.

Posted Image

#43 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

this ought to give you a rough idea (needed a break so took a picture and gonna go have a beer)

Posted Image

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#44 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Can't wait to see that built. Station fits perfectly!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#45 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

This coaster is very instering i like it alot you should post it on instructables that would be AWSOME!

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#46 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Now I see what this was turning into! Looking pretty good with the limited space you have! Just support it a lot when you finalize it so you can make a long layout! How many X-tires do you have left?

Posted Image

#47 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

I finished that turn and started the double dip over the station. I have used 90 cross ties so far and am more than half way done so I will be fine on that limit. I could go back and insert some in places but probably will leave things alone if it all works well without them. Toughest thing now is getting my hands in places I need to connect stuff. Building the last loop is going to be tough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

Well, the construction, the shaping and the creativity of this coaster is really fantastic! Going to have some competition when participating the winter contest :P

Posted Image

#49 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

I think this is my favourite coaster construction at the moment. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#50 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks glad you approve! I think I could have made that turn a blue rod higher but since it came out pretty decent I think I'll leave it alone. Plus I am not sure I can keep the flat look if I make it higher. The train makes it easily now and I still plan to stiffen up the pull out/in of the first drop some and clean/lube the train.

No time to build today, definitely tomorrow.

#51 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

It does look really nice now that you finalize it. I would keep it the way it is since it is flat, buy it looks great!

Posted Image

#52 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

After the winter contest definitely put more X-ties on it and show us the result, this is amazing.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

^ I am not sure I will do that. It would be a lot of work to add a lot of cross ties after the fact. Whatever state it is in when I submit it for the contest is going to be the final product.

That is not to say I won't build something very similar again. Remember I said this is inspired by a real coaster but the constraints of the contest have forced me to take a lot of liberty in using that as a guide to build this. This is far from a recreation but that would still be fun to do at some point, and building this has been a great learning project if I do attempt that in the future.

Maybe it is because I grew up when they were the only coasters around but I love building woodies!

#54 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

I love the colors of this coaster and the overall feel of it. Building it on a table also makes it cooler.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#55 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Hey guys, I went over a lot of what was already built again, tweaking things that weren't perfect. I don't think I've posted a pic of the backside before. Here it is.

Posted Image

I finished off the inside of the lift hill (except where I still have track to build)

Posted Image

I also had to move the bottom of the chain ever so slightly (from the black snowflake to the half-moon) so that the chain would consistently catch the front car chain dog. Small change but I had to take a lot apart. Also, it's better built than it was before (IMHO)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I knew since I built the lift that I was going to need a chain dog in the back car to get the train over the crest. I did that to push the size constraints as far as I could.

I tried this chain dog that someone suggested on my last coaster. It must be dragging on the center tubing because the train is much slower than without it and won't make the first turn. without the dog it

Posted Image

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better one?

#56 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

You can just use a middlecar as backcar, and then wrap iron-wire around the cup-joint, with the end of it pulled trough the sleeve in the middle, so it slightly hits the chain.
Works great for me.

#57 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

that's sounds like a good idea, thanks! any chance you have a picture of it?

#58 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

What speed are you running the motor at?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#59 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better one?

If you have any of those Blue single connectors, those might work better. I'd suggest to definatly try it before you go with something else.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#60 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

If you keep the chain dog setup you have now, just take off the highest black clip, slide on a gray 1-way connector so it can swing freely on the blue rod, and then put a black clip on the end of that. It always works for me. Just make sure it is centered with some blue spacers on either side. Good luck!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel