Night Fury (major construction 5/20/2014)

b&m dive machine outerlimits659 scythe

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#21 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

If I were to have that budget... hehe. I do try to color-code, but in order to do this...

Now James, this looks very good so far. I hope you can keep up the smoothness and color-style.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#22 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:15 AM

Amazing colors and supports! Can't wait for the next update!

#23 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:26 AM

It's awesome, the colour coding looks epic (especially with a Red and Red coaster in the background). I just love it all..

#24 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

OH YEAH! That looks amazing Ickus! Looks SO GOOD!

#25 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

WO, that looks great! :)

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#26 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

What can I say that hasn't been said? It looks great. Can't believe you collected enough black cross ties to an entire additional coaster in black. I never knew there were long blue rods before!

You must spend a lot of time and money collecting parts and end up with a lot of peripheral stuff trying to get the parts you want.

Can't wait to see this project continue!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#27 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Indeed, you must have a huge budget!
Looks really epic, it's being so beautiful and realistic.
Don't you steal that next TM too!

#28 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

How much profit do you make from the museum anyway? And is buying Knex coming out of your profit or as a business expense?

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#29 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Wow, just wow!
When i lookd at the topics in the thread that I havn't read, I found one from you James, Night Fury, 2 pages. I was thinking, how have a missed this.!? Then I realise you only started the thead yesterday...

Well, this already looks amazing and this will be a very fun build to watch. I have my eyes peeled....

#30 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

During BR construction he said he buys all the Knex with his own money. Must not have many living expenses because I doubt a small museum pays large salaries.

#31 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

I am going to be lazy and not quote everyone this time. But as a bulk response, THANK YOU EVERYONE.

As for the budget, ALL of the K*nex® are paid for from my personal pocket. And I loan the display to the museum. I do have some of a budget because I have a full time job and live with my parents currently, but I am also very meticulous with what and how I purchase. Garage sales & Thrift stores are my favorites (I've bought many awesome sets for under $5). Also, ebay is great, I got over 50lbs for $50 once, and also have gotten many great things for less than $20 after shipping.

It's not the money as much as the time involved in finding the pieces.

I fixed the bottom of the lift, I had to lower the first connection slightly, also it was weird from how I had the tubing to test the motors. But I moved things around so it should be better now.

FTGU: I do have a bunch of random things, that I do intend to sell back out also and possibly recoup some of what I have spent. At some point.

gump and Maarten: I do not feel as rushed with this coaster as I did with BR, so I definitely plan on spending much more time on getting the track to be as smooth as possible. (I learned a lot from the first project, and hope to do a much much better job on this one.)

Sniggeh: I've given some hints, but I do not want to give everything away, just in case things do not turn out as planned.

RollerKid500: I also mis-spoke. The first part is based off of a B&M wingrider. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

My only concern is that the bottom of the lift hill isn't straight. lake a ruler to the picture and you will know what I mean.
But the colors! I almost died! Stop making your coasters so beautiful so we can comment about something other than it's beauty! ;)
EDIT: What is up with the rabbits in the last pic?

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#33 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Though it is a MAJOR PAIN sometimes. The long black rods are near impossible to find, and accumulate more than 1 or 2 at a time.

that's what she said.

hahaha, anyway, I guess people gamble at wheeling too much to buy too much and sell it at yard sales. LOL

I sure give you respect for having the patience to do this all.
But how about an update! I'm thirsty :D

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#34 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

EDIT: What is up with the rabbits in the last pic?

uh, Easter is this weekend...

#35 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Ickus, the dearest Ickus,

TONE DOWN THE AWESOMENESS OF YOUR COASTERS or else I'll be forced to get my little lamb buddies to take all your parts, because this is like an insult to my coasters, literally.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#36 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Ok, so I have built and rebuilt the first drop several times, but I still feel something is wrong with it. (I will be replace the two end supports and also the pull out is not even been started yet) I just need help figuring out the first part.

I know it is lacking some heart-lining, but so is the drop I am after doing, I do like this drop and like the way in which the train goes thru the drop, I just feel like something is off and I do not know what it is fully.

Here is what I am basing it off of.
Posted Image

Here is My drop (yes I know the lift is still off slightly, I fixed one spot and another moved, couldn't tell until I took a picture, will work on it again)
Posted Image

View from top of the lift (This is the extra train from BR, I am still working on the trains for this coaster)
Posted Image
Posted Image

View looking back to the top of the lift
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some additional Views
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, just in case, here is a POV, so you can actually see the entire thing.

Thank you for the help

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#37 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Awww, I dont like that type of drop at all D: I was hoping for a classic B&M ride...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

It's a cool drop, but if you want to pull it off, you might want to add a lot more heartlining. If it's custom, just go with that I guess.

EDIT
I think this is my 500th post... hm.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#39 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

^^ I was expecting the same thing although for some reason I'm not too fond of the heartlining before the drop, but it looks good so far Ickus, just keep working on that drop and you'll get it eventually.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#40 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

One word, and that is heartline. A good comparison for that type of drop is rollerocasterfanatic919's Noxious, which you can see has a drop that is heartlined.

Posted Image

Make more of a pre-drop, then have the heartline start right after it and extend into the into the drop, just like that a dive loop. Once you do that, it will look a lot better than it is now.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b&m, dive machine, outerlimits659, scythe