Night Fury (major construction 5/20/2014)

b&m dive machine outerlimits659 scythe

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#41 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

Actually I expected this drop, I don't really know why. Maybe it is because of the long pre-drop in the first update and since you said this will have a large influence of two B&M coasters currently build. You should heartline it better, just like the others said. I would like to see you shaping without the stiff rods, looks like these causes bumps. I'm still loving those colours ;)

Posted Image

#42 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Looking from the back of the drop, just push the half loop thing over to the right, and it should be better. Also, I noticed a few bumps.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#43 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Maxlaam
Awww,

Sorry Max

Thanks guys, I had it with more heartlining originally, but it makes it look kinda weird with the dip and such, but I will keep working at it.

I would like to see you shaping without the stiff rods, looks like these causes bumps.

I had this built originally with flexi rods. Because of the space between the supports, it allows the track to move way too much. For the drop I do plan on adding a layer to each side to help smooth things out more, and also add strength to the structure. Then I do hope I can go back to flexies for the rest of things, because I can place supports better.

I will admit, BR is not nearly as smooth as it could be, and I know I still need to smooth this out much better. I promise Maarten12 & Alpal I will make this drop much smoother before I post again. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#44 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Do you want me to DIE FROM AMAZEMENT????

#45 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

Smooth it out, make sure to have a bit of heartlining eventhough you might don't want to add some. And add an extra support.

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#46 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

It reminds me of Flashback.

For the twist at the top: The track, if laid in a straight line, should make an upward arc. Then you can simply twist it into shape.

A while back I made a funny little cartoon about this...
Here it is.

And here's a POV of Flashback when it was still called Z-Force.

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

#47 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

I must agree with max on this one, I would have liked it to be a B&M. I don't really like the shaping/element on this drop. But it's your coaster, I'd recommend heartlining the twist, and the banking on the way down was a little funny. But good job!

KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#48 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

I like the concept of the drop, just as long as it's shaped well. Noxious is a really good example to follow for the twisting drop.

#49 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

The last part of the pull-out should be bigger, make it very continous.

It should have a smooth curvature.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

Posted Image

Can you make the pull-in like this?

#51 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

Knexrule11
I would have liked it to be a B&M

It is still a B&M drop, just not a traditional B&M drop.

I spent all day yesterday, rebuilding things (I have no pictures, because I did not have my camera, and I am not finished either.)

I have a much better heartline and also it still kinda has the straighter line appearance from the side.
I am using flexies now also.

I used APAL's heartline roll jig, which helped me get the first part of the roll correct. Also, thank all of you for the helpful info who replied.

Stig, as for the support changes, I am leaving the supports in close to the same positions (I did adjust them some), but I need the extra support in the pre-drop, because of the length of it. I am having trouble with the track flexing as it is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#52 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

Sounds like you did a good job on fixing the roll! I am looking forward to seeing the new and heart-lined drop in the future, which is still B&M. (it is going to be featured on the upcoming Wingrider at Thorpe Park)
Edit- posted from iPad!

Posted Image

#53 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

Good, it sonds like you have made it a lot better. Pictures soon I hope!

Jumpge: Off topic: You are very lcuky to have an Ipad!

#54 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'm really interested in those pictures! Good to hear that you're using flexies on the heartline roll drop thingy. You can still use stiff rods for straight parts and for the pull out of the drop for example.

Posted Image

#55 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ok, I have done a lot of re-doing on the drop. I have a feeling there may still be an issue or two so point anything out that needs tending to. (if there is a straight spot, it will be fixed, I need to add co-supports to the two diagonals as they want to "fall forward" as the train hits them (simple fix, just have not done it yet)

Overview
Posted Image

front of the drop
Posted Image

head on to the drop
Posted Image

Top of the drop
Posted Image

Top of drop w/ train to show the heartlining
Posted Image

Another angle
Posted Image

Behind the drop
Posted Image

I hope this looks better than the first attempt. Yes, with the chain lift working the train easily clears the zero-g and enters into the roll. (and no that is not the train I will use when things are done). Also, I will be changing the grey and orange tube out, just did not have a chance to yet.

Also, because B&M supports tend to do a vertical with a diagonal for support in many places, I had to figure out a new tube to base connection because the BR base was a different size. This is what I came up with. It is very strong.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#56 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

Everything seems spectacular so far on this, and the heartlined drop looks so much better than before, proving that you can move on with further elements on the ride! The only thing is that in the 3rd picture of the drop, I can see the heartline transition meets the actual drop in a kind of awkward way, when it should not be as abrupt of a transition going into the drop by making it have less of a slant sideways into the straight drop. Otherwise, everything looks very nice, and I can't wait to see any other elements in store!

Posted Image

#57 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Not really good at critiquing drops, but IMO, it looks good for a B&M.

Those tube-base connections look really good to use, might just have to try them out sometime :)

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#58 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

You make my tubes look like twigs! Even your track looks rock-hard. But I do agree with Jumpge about the drop being lop-sided. It would probably flow better to have it drop through the supports like this:

Posted Image

#59 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

I had been contemplating going thru the supports, but I thought it would look weird. And then I have to figure out how to get out from under the lift :)
Glad to know someone else had the same thought!

I am not actually pleased with how the pre-drop support is, because I have it sitting on the same diagonal as the lift supports, but I think I am going to change it to a vertical with a supporting diagonal to make it more secure.
Doing something along those lines will move the support over and allow me to move the drop over, and hopefully line things up better. (moving the drop to about where the support is now.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#60 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

DP :(

I am still working on the element, it is not finished, just an update of where I am currently on things, because it will be a few days before I can even build again.

Well it has been awhile since I updated, so I figured I should attempt to make it look like I have done something.

Initially I wanted to have a zero-g roll roll, but after playing with it, and spending a decent amount of time, I realize it would take up way to much space (it was too long) and also I was not happy with the shaping, so a natural disaster struck on the construction.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So after cleaning things up, and after a lot of profanity and a lot of thinking, I decided I could just take out that element and start with what I planned to use as a second or third element.

I love the look of the Vekoma Roll Over (the half loop, barrel roll, half loop), and I started to create the element. Well I ended up going much more with the B&M Sea Serpent Roll instead. Overall I like things, though I am not close to being finished with it.

I still need to add several supports, and fix many of the straight and sharp spots. But here is where I am right now. With the general shaping of things.

Overview
Posted Image

Posted Image

Entrance to SSR
Posted Image

Close up
Posted Image

The drop (As you can see in the picture it is straight once it hits vertical)
Posted Image

Does the general shaping looks correct? I know overall it has some issues, but as I said I am not finished, but it probably will be several days before a picture update again)

Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b&m, dive machine, outerlimits659, scythe