Park Advice Thread

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

Going to Disney World with my marching band. Any interesting rides, or is still the same since circa 2009? I know there aren't any great rides, nothing like Nitro or anything. But we are going to be in the parade there and we'll put on some kind of concert and even play a soundtrack of some movie and get a dvd of the movie with our band playing. And some kind of workshop. So the trip obviously isn't about the rides, but we do get a day or two to go to the parks. Should be an interesting trip, especially since the marching band takes up an entire airplane. Why can't Cedar Point do something with marching bands‽

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#62 TEDDSTER

TEDDSTER

Polar Bear

• 267 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

Going to Disney World with my marching band. Any interesting rides, or is still the same since circa 2009? I know there aren't any great rides, nothing like Nitro or anything. But we are going to be in the parade there and we'll put on some kind of concert and even play a soundtrack of some movie and get a dvd of the movie with our band playing. And some kind of workshop. So the trip obviously isn't about the rides, but we do get a day or two to go to the parks. Should be an interesting trip, especially since the marching band takes up an entire airplane. Why can't Cedar Point do something with marching bands‽

I was in Marching band last year. We also got to perform at Cedar Point. So Cedar Point does do something with Marching bands but it is still not as big as what Disney does.

39797.png

#63 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

^I marched at CP as well.

Anyway, to the topic: While I haven't ridden it, I've heard that Expedition Everest is the best coaster (by enthusiast standards) Disney has to offer. Now obviously if you have only one day to spend in parks, I would do Magic Kingdom (hands down, not even up for discussion), especially with 7 Dwarves Mine Ride opening last year. But if you get a second, I would do half Animal Kingdom and half MGM Studios.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#64 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

My friend always rants and raves about Rock N' Roller Coaster being the smoothest Vekoma ever made, so I would definitely try that if you get the chance.

Im definitely not the person to ask when it comes to Disney, any other Orlando park would be fine. :P

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#65 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Okay Florida kids:

I'm going to be in Florida from May 3rd to 10th for family vacation, and we'll be spending two days at Universal. I'm guessing that Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday will probably be the least crowded days, right? Also, any advice on how to go about the parks (park hopper tickets, btw)? Diagon Alley in the morning?

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#66 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

I would probably try and get to Diagon first, if you are staying in an onsite hotel then you will get an hour early admission to Diagon Alley.

I would also recommend getting the park hopper - what ever it is ticket - that gives you access to both parks, the train is pretty cool. For the rides after that, I'd definitely recommend riding Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Mummy, and HRRR. Hulk usually gets pretty crowded during the duration of the day so I would do it as early in the day as you can (Same with HRRR). Hogsmeade (IOA) has the cool "roller coaster" which can get pretty packed.

Is this your first time going to the parks?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#67 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

I was just there on Jan 2, 2013 with both parks, but Studios would be new for my sister. My main hit list is Butterbeer, Diagon Alley, Butterbeer, Transformers, and Butterbeer. Other than that, I'm pretty open and flexible. How are the crowds between in early May (between spring break and summer, I believe)?

SSCoasters Staff

#68 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:22 AM

I'd presume it would get pretty crowded. If your main goal is butterbeer (x3), Transformers and Diagon, definitely do those rides first. Transformers creates a huge queue after ~11-12.

#69 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

I was there last May, and it was pretty crowded from opening until around 6 or so, when IOA closed. After around that time, we had a couple hours of a ghost town, even HRRR was almost a walk on.
Butterbeer is most definitely a must do. :D

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#70 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hey guys! I'm leaving for a California trip on May 23th and of course I will spend a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain! I am planning on going Wednesday May 27th. What should I expect on that day? Which ride usually have more than an hour of waiting time? Thank you for all answers!

Posted Image

#71 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

Aw man, I'm going to miss you by 3 days! (I'm going the 30th.) Is it your first time at SFMM?
Memorial Day weekend is generally the most crowded time of the whole year. But since you're going in the middle of the week, it shouldn't be as bad as the weekend.

Twisted Colossus will probably have the longest line since it's brand new. Tatsu is usually an hour long, but there's no line if you run to it when the park opens. X2 is usually an hour, but it dies down later in the afternoon. Goliath is long too, for some reason.
If you're willing to ride by yourself, there are single-rider lines on Riddler's, Lex Luthor, and Viper. Just walk into the exit and look for the signs - you'll get on within 5 minutes or less. But other than that, the only thing you can do is get there a little before opening time and pray that the park isn't crowded that day.
Hope you have an awesome day there! Let us know how it is :D

EDIT: Oh, and avoid Green Lantern (the Intamin Zacspin). The pain isn't worth it.

#72 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Ryan, wouldn't you also suggest to hit Full Throttle in the morning, too? I have heard that it has a pretty consistently long wait because of its poor capacity and when I went it was no exception as it took about an hour and change. It really is a great ride, though. I was totally impressed.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#73 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:32 AM

Yeah Chubs, I remember that you really liked Full Throttle! It's even more fun if you don't tell your friends about the backwards part ;) It's a great ride to start out the day, and is right next to the park entrance. It would be real easy to hit that up and then get onto Tatsu without waiting too long for either coaster.

#74 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

I just remember being pleasantly surprised since I didn't have too high of expectations. It is just a fun, unique coaster.

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#75 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm going to Six Flags Great America again sometime soon this year. Last year I didn't get to ride everything because of hour long waits!! I got to X-Flight and Raging Bull at least. I rode the Whizzer, Viper, X-Flight, Raging Bull, The Dark Knight, and Batman, which I rode 3 times because of the short lines! I was wondering, is there any coasters I haven't been on yet that I should avoid? I'm not planning on going on any of the flat rides. Also, is the flash pass worth it?

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#76 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

I'm going to Carowinds on a Sunday and Monday morning, does anyone have advice for when the line will be the shortest for Fury? I don't know if it is better to go on immediately as the park opens or if it dies down in the late afternoon.

#77 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

The nice thing is that you'll be able to do both if you desire, but I say go for it first thing. The longest line will probably be Nighthawk because of its poor capacity and because the GP love it, so if you want to knock that out first thing that wouldn't be a bad idea. I chose to ride it as my last ride of the night and it was a walk-on. Fury is going to eat through people so the line shouldn't get too crazy at any point.

Two recommendations I have for the park is to get a front row night ride on Fury and to ride Afterburn in the back left. I really did enjoy my visit to the park as I felt it had a bit more charm and was better maintained than other Cedar Fair parks.

#78 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

As a person who went to Carowinds, I'd say Fury is always crowded. The wait is always at least an hour. As for the best time, there isn't one. but I'd try going on fury right when you get there, but this may not work. What I did was ride a less crowded ride like Nighthawk and then check in on Fury.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#79 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

I went on a Thursday and Friday and I don't recall Furys line ever being more than half an hour. Then again it was 100+ degrees so maybe that kept people out of the park.

#80 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the help, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I guess I'll go on as soon as the park opens then, and will do Nighthawk somewhere else in the day. I just read your trip Chubs and I'm really excited now, it seems like the 2nd best Cedar Fair park at the moment, I can't wait to go!