• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Simpler is better. That is correct.

I'm sorry to hear that your coaster isn't working out with speed (I too am having a few issues with the speed but ma going to luge, weight, clean, etc.), but I'd give it another try. If it doesn't work out a third time for you, I'd just say scrap it and move onto another project. I'm sure that you'll figure out what to do so no worries.

3 or is it 4 tries now... oh well, I actually feel like I am making some progress on things currently so I am ok with it.

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues. However, I do have a solution: make the first tower the height you started with, change the second tower into a straight one so it can function just like the first one. I know you like how the second spike currently is, but I find a straight functioning one looks just as good IMO.

I got about the same height out of straight as I did with spiral, the impact was minimal.

Although I know how well you take car of your cars, it seems they might be the problem. Are they weighed? Also check to make sure there is no hair in the wheels. Really stinks to hear its not working:(

done and checked, thanks

Have you ever tried running a reversed train through the forward direction? Just for reference, that is.

Yes, I did try this, as I thought, maybe it would work better "backwards" but did not really notice any major changes in the speed.

Your biggest problem is height. For the train to make that layout without any "restart" in height, I don't see how it will make it through the inversion. I would suggest converting that twist section into a lift to pull it up the necessary few inches ( I would estimate at least 5 more inches on what you have now, to be safe). If all else fails, make a non-inverting, inverted boomerang. It would be an interesting concept to try out!

I realize this, but if I'm not doing a true boomerang, I want to leave things with only one set of lift motors to keep the rhythm and such in sync.

The only problem I see with another lift is reliability issues, but that is the last thing you ever want with any model on display. I think a fishhook shuttle would be sick, especially with a roll or two on the incline after the 1/3 loop. Something like this (thanks, Marc). Cloud 9 - YouTube

I do like this (a lot), but it is more of a launch coaster, and well those have a different set of problems that I am not ready to solve at this time.

I think PKI's idea would be pretty sick, maybe even after the SS roll it might work, but that's just an idea.

eh

ok so here is what my solution for fix things came out as.
(please note this is merely a temporary set up, I realize things are not smooth and the tubes are not secure)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like it, but with revolution the zacspin directly across from it, I feel that they give a feel of similarity (because they are both built on only 2 (x,y) planes and not 3 (x,y,z) planes, I mean they are more or less vertical only rides) an well the zacspin is much more interesting.

My thoughts are maybe I could do something like a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop coaster Cascabel - La Feria Chapultepec Magico (Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico), but instead do it as an invert, and then use a vertical start lift, with a vertical spiral far tower. I think with only 1 inversion and everything being straight inline I should be able to do a start tower around 5-6 feet with a loop around 2.5-3 feet and a far tower around 4-5 feet should be enough to get things thru. (more or less the same start height of the lift tower, same station, and the loop about the height of where the roll over height was)

thoughts concerns?

Edited by ickus305, 01 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#162 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I posted that more as an idea example to do with your shuttle, not to recreate it with launch and all. ;)

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#163 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you keep this layout but add a twist in the spike, maybe it could end up being pretty cool?

You're probably bored with this coaster already, so I'm not going to tell you what to build. I'd rather you build something that is really awesome in your eyes, even if that means starting over and building something new.

Posted Image

#164 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I really like that spike on front of the other spike. Though I now you are probably getting a little frustrated with the ride, do what Jumpge said, build something you would like to build, and really want to.
Anyways, this ride looks really good! I just know you could build something much better though. Something like Basilisk Rail and Night Fury.

#165 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

before you comment, I know the loop is misshapen, I have to rebuild it.

Ok, so, got the general layout of something that I am happy with. The loop took the shape of some existing support locations which makes it a little higher then I want it. I am somewhat happy with the very circular loop (similar to a Schwarzkopf loop, and the somewhat fat loops of a GIB (giant inverted boomerang)). The train makes the full course backwards and forwards (barely), so my goal with moving forward in this building project, is to take things fully apart to the pull in of the loop, lay out the loop and then set the supports. The lift tower is at the absolute max height, I would like to find a loop height about 4-5 lower that will allow me to drop the lift height 6-12 inches. Once I have a set-up that works and I am content with, I will then make diagonal supports (probably making many of them using micro parts as I did earlier in this project.) and I will switch the tubing back over to yellow instead of purple and pink.

Here are some of the pictures of how things currently look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ps. I hope to get enough done to have another update this week, but I can not make promises. I am going out of town, so if not it will be a few weeks before I update (but I hope to have things functioning before March starts)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#166 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

If it makes you happy then I'm happy. :)

Just reshape like you said you're going to and I think it will be all good!

Posted Image

#167 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hey ickus! We have like the same style coaster now! Except Josh's and my coaster is a sitdown coaster. I am glad you chose this. It is very reliable.

#168 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well, I hope this looks better. ( I know I have a few bumps in the loop, It got messed up when I was testing because I need a lot more support).

If the general shaping looks good and everyone is fine with this then, I will finish this dang thing up.

heres the check list:

I am going to lower the start lift by about 1.5-2 feet (it makes it easily at that height)

I am going to resmooth the track out and switch the red to yellow tubing, and the purple center will become orange or yellow depending on how much yellow I have.

I am going to add more track to tube connections, especially in the loop to keep the shaping.

I am going to add diagonal and other strengthening supports and tubes.

add the lift mechanism (I'll give a video once I get the lift working)

theming (station, lighting and other details)

here are the pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#169 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I want some of Steve Martin's stash so I can get real small and ride all the rides in K-Land!

edit: just realized no one else is probably old enough to get that joke reference... sigh...

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#170 iCoaster44

iCoaster44

French K'nexpert

• 383 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Fail in the title ! :P
The heartlining of the twisty tower is too short.
That's a tall lift for a little layout. :P

#171 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Man, I do not even care about bumps and such anymore. I just hope for you that this coaster is actually working after all the trouble you had with it!

Posted Image

#172 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

After all the thinking that you've done for this coaster, I agree with Helmer and just finish it as soon as pretty much. Do what you want to do in that list and just finish it. Don't rush still, but definitely time to move onto something new if you have an idea. Just be glad that what you have right now is still of very high quality and that all this time won't have gone to waste.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#173 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Still have some work to go, but progress is going smoothly.

Tubing is changed and the lift is operational.
(it has been running non stop (without me touching it at all) for over an hour now, let's see how long this lasts.

as you can see there is some movement in the loop and the spiral, but honestly this is much much less then I expected. I am do some clean up currently, and then I will add the diaginal supports and more track supports to help keep things from moving and shaking as much. But overall I am simply just happy that this thing is functional.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#174 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Love it! Glad you could get this working now!

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#175 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

The end result is very nice. After a long time it works consistently which is a nice change to what seemed to happen throughout this project. The finishing line is near and you'll be glad to move on from this one.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#176 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

This is a very nice build here, I really love it. I'm just wondering: where is this room you are putting all these massive coasters? In a museum?

#177 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

congrats! Is the coaster going to catch the lift on the rebound run and then get lowered back to the station or will it go back and forth like it does now. I love that you had the wild mouse running in the background.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#178 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I am happy to see this working after all of that time.