Hot glue - Crazy? Take a look...

construction glue saving pieces sturdy structure supports

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you try this method??

Would you try this method??

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ryujdream

ryujdream

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

So I'm not sure this has been done yet but I thought I would share a technique I use. I have a moderate amount of pieces but I have a huge imagination and I always out of pieces around half way through a good coaster. Ah the endless battle. I don't have enough pieces to make structures and support and also make a grid to the structures of support on. Currently I build in my garage which means I have the perfect canvas to attach things too. So I tried duct tape which works well but eventually works loose. So while I was in Walmart looking for a solution I came across hot glue. At first I was scared it would f up my expensive pieces but WOW it works and works well. No it doesn't hurt your pieces, no it doesn't hurt the garage floor, and yes its like cemented down! The first time I tried it, it actually reminded me of cementing for a real coaster. The cool part is if you mess up....just pull the support off the floor and re glue it! And if you don't believe me try it and you'll be surprised.... its super strong unless you rip it off the floor. And after it dries it pulls right off the parts and the concrete but stays put when the coaster goes by. I started to build special structures to support this method ( special for me lol) using the tubing method. Guys and girls this saves tons of pieces as well as time! And for some one like me, a newbie, this this makes building coasters more forgivable when you mess up. :-)

Proof is in the pudding they say. And remember you only need a dime size drop.

Posted Image

After the gluing and removal of hot glue. Not a scratch.

Posted Image

Sometimes you need a little extra to get it off the garage floor......:-)

Posted Image

Supports -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At the bottom of the pic is candle wax and is not recommended to use on your coaster.... but makes the room smell good..

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.s -

Don't troll the coaster because its the first one I'm actually going to finish and if there is a post like this ( someone who had this idea first) sweet! Just trying to help the newbies like me.

RyuJDream

#2 Haaron05

Haaron05

Thee tower master

• 599 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

silicon based spray can disolve hot glue just a tip for the future.but never the less nice idea, it would work great for coasters that shake at the base :D

Posted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

(cop)KNEX AUSTRALIA!(cop)

#3 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I actually think this should be under knex Tutorials. Could a mod move it?

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#4 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Wow, great alternative! Yes, this should be moved to tutorials.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've never thought of that before, but it's a neat idea. I think a Knex base looks better, but if you don't have enough pieces or you don't feel like making a base, then I guess this is a nice solution.

#6 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

That's a pretty good idea. And it looks nice. If I had a garage floor, yeah I'd totally try it. It makes for a good alternative for base building.

Welcome to SSC, by the by. I wouldn't worry too much about trolls, the two major ones are long gone. And besides, we're all here to help ;)

As far as moving this thread to tutorials:
1. It's a coaster thread.
2. It's just glue, People.

#7 ryujdream

ryujdream

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks stig...ya idk how to move it (new guy and all) or I wouldn't mind to if its a deal.

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

For my Super Mouse model, the chain dog needed to be aligned perfectly, I made a little rig out of K'NEX so I could put the coaches upside down and hold them stable, I used hot glue to glue the rig to my desk :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: construction, glue, saving pieces, sturdy structure, supports