collection family fun huge newbie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

It's time for the report of my annual trip to Cedar Point. We arrived Sunday night at about 11PM and checked into the Sandcastle Suites. The forecast for the next day called for some rain in the morning, but not too much. I wasn't too worried about it.

Day 1

I turned out to be wrong. It rained pretty hard until about one in the afternoon, too much to even think about entering the park. By 1, it was starting to clear up, so we took a shuttle to the marina entrance. As we went into the park, none of the rides were open yet, so we decided to go ahead and eat lunch at the Game Day Grille. After lunch, the rain had pretty much stopped, and we went ahead and lined up outside the queue for Raptor, which was testing by this point.

After about a 5 minute wait, we were on, somewhere close to the back row. Raptor is by far the best invert I have ever ridden, from the layout to the airtime on the drop. It went a bit faster through the circuit than I remember in years past, probably because of the wet track.

Next up was Wicked Twister, because it was so close (and a walk-on). We rode second from the back, in order to get more air on the back spiral. Compared to other Intamin launches, the launch isn't very powerful, but it is obviously the spirals that make the ride as enjoyable as it is. We also saw Disaster Transport being deconstructed.

We walked over to Windseeker after this. I didn't get to ride it last year, because it was shut down the whole time. It was actually pretty surprising that it was open this time, because it was rainy and windy. As we were about to get on, it started pouring rain again, so we got out of line and went under the stadium next to Windseeker. We waited here for rides to open again until almost 4 o'clock as it continued to pour rain. Once it stopped, we rode Windseeker. It was pretty cool, and because you are kept at that altitude for such a long time, you really have the opportunity to appreciate how high up you are.

After Windseeker, the forecast said the rain was done for the day, which was exciting. We walked to Millennium Force next. The main queue only took about 15 minutes, but the front row line took an extra 30. As always, it was beyond worth the wait. My favorite drop I've ever ridden, followed by a supurb layout filled with a mix of overbanks, airtime, and splattered bugs makes for a world class coaster, my personal favorite. Front row really is the best way to ride it, the back row doesn't really provide much more airtime than any other row does.

Skyhawk followed Millennium Force. I love this ride, by far the best non-roller coaster I've ridden.

We checked out the winners of the Cedar Point K'nex contest after this. They were really cool to see, although I noticed that they all had some damage from transit. I took a few pictures of Mythos that I'll share later.

Maverick came next. The queue was about 45 minutes, as usual, and we sat in the back row. I prefer the back on Maverick, it's more intense in really every way. It seemed to throw you around more than I remember, which is good other than the fact that my ears are level with the OTSR's. :P

By this point it was about six, and we made the decision to wait for dinner until the park closed at 9. We then headed for Top Thrill Dragster, and queued up. Probably a 20 minute wait later, we were in line for front row, and in another 20 minutes were in the train. The station is split into two separate loading platforms, and the advantage of loading on the second train is that you get to see the train in front of you launch. :D It was just as intense as I remember it being, but I had an easier time keeping my eyes open. A look around from the top and a few swallowed bugs later, my brother and I were exiting the train and looking at how hilarious we looked on the on-ride photo.

It was getting dark by this point, and we rode Iron Dragon and Mantis. Both were walk-ons, front row for Iron Dragon and second row for Mantis. We hit a swarm of bugs on Iron Dragon (what else is new), and Mantis wasn't as painful on the feet as in previous years.

At this point, it was about 8:30, and we decided the last ride of the night would be Magnum. My brother, for whatever reason, doesn't like it, so he and my dad left the park to get a table at Famous Dave's, where we would eat dinner. My mom and I headed to Magnum, and because she "doesn't do airtime," I rode as a single rider, ejector row of course. It was pretty cool to ride it in the dark, which I've never done before. It was a great ride to end the day on.

For dinner at Famous Dave's was a spicy pulled pork sandwich and jalapeno macaroni & cheese. =)

Day 2

The day started out on a much nicer note than the first day, with perfect weather and no rain on the forecast. We headed to the park at 9:30, and got in line for early entry at 10 at the resort entrance. We could only stay until 2:00, because it was an 8 hour drive home and my brother had school the next day, so we prioritized what we needed to ride.

Once they released us, we ran to Millennium Force first. I was the first one to get there from the resort entrance, but a number of people beat us from the marina entrance. We walked right into the station, and got in the short line for front row. We would have been on and off the ride in 5 minutes or so, but it broke down after 2 trains (we were next to go!). Everyone waited half an hour until they fixed the problem, and tested a few trains. We luckily got to ride before early entry finished. It's a good thing we didn't leave the line and come back later, because the queue filled up very quickly.

We walked to Top Thrill Dragster next, and got in line just before early entry finished. We saw the mob coming as soon as we got in line. It was about a 20 minute wait, and they had to add the last train (gold). We rode back row. I was surprised at how much more intense the drop was from the back, which I certainly didn't expect.

After that, we decided to hit some more important rides that we hadn't yet. We walked to Gemini. The line was 15 minutes, which was surprising, but it turned out that only the red side was running. Still a fun ride, and very smooth, but not quite as fun as when both trains are running.

Next was Cedar Creek Mine Ride. It has always reminded me of something on RCT2, which is always fun to imagine. It's a fun ride as well.

We rode Power Tower following Cedar Creek Mine Ride, the shot side. The shot up is fun, and there are great views.

The last roller coaster of the day was Blue Streak, which I had to convince my brother to ride because he doesn't like rough roller coasters. It was about a 15 minute wait, and we rode in the middle of the train. It was just as fun and airtime-filled as I remember, and not as bumpy as my brother remembered.

After this, I got a t-shirt and we had to leave. Although the first half of the first day was rainy and almost rideless, we still had a great time. The rain also had the effect of almost clearing out the park on the first day!

Ride Count:

Raptor x1
Wicked Twister x1
Millennium Force x2
Maverick x1
Top Thrill Dragster x2
Iron Dragon x1
Mantis x1
Magnum XL-200 x1
Gemini x1
Cedar Creek Mine Ride x1
Blue Streak x1
Windseeker x1
Skyhawk x1
Power Tower x1

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#2 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

It's time for the report of my annual trip to Cedar Point. We arrived Sunday night at about 11PM and checked into the Sandcastle Suites. The forecast for the next day called for some rain in the morning, but not too much. I wasn't too worried about it.

I swear, I thought the exact same thing. I was staying in Hotel Breakers. I woke up at 8:00 to pouring rain, hoping it would stop. We went out at about 11:00 when the rain seemed to clear up, we walked in the park from the resort entrance, and managed to get to the bridge before it started pouring again, so we just turned around, got our hands stamped, then left.

Day 1

I turned out to be wrong. It rained pretty hard until about one in the afternoon, too much to even think about entering the park. By 1, it was starting to clear up, so we took a shuttle to the marina entrance. As we went into the park, none of the rides were open yet, so we decided to go ahead and eat lunch at the Game Day Grille. After lunch, the rain had pretty much stopped, and we went ahead and lined up outside the queue for Raptor, which was testing by this point.

I also went in at about 1-1:30. The smaller coasters/rides were open, I went to Corkscrew, Blue Streak, and Max Air. The really weird thing is, I walked within 100 feet of the line outside of Raptor's entrance when it was testing, right before it opened. So I was probably 100' from you. Kinda funny to think.

After Windseeker, the forecast said the rain was done for the day, which was exciting. We walked to Millennium Force next. The main queue only took about 15 minutes, but the front row line took an extra 30. As always, it was beyond worth the wait. My favorite drop I've ever ridden, followed by a supurb layout filled with a mix of overbanks, airtime, and splattered bugs makes for a world class coaster, my personal favorite. Front row really is the best way to ride it, the back row doesn't really provide much more airtime than any other row does.

You think a few bugs hurt? I went in line right when it opened, when I was in line, it started raining again (same time you were in Windseekers line). I ended up getting offered second to front seat. As you know, that seat is raised.... Here's a CP tip, NEVER ride Millennium Force in the rain! I couldn't open my eyes the whole ride, my hands were covering my face, it was a unique experience though. I would assume it's worse than bugs:p

We checked out the winners of the Cedar Point K'nex contest after this. They were really cool to see, although I noticed that they all had some damage from transit. I took a few pictures of Mythos that I'll share later.

I actually went and saw Mythos Sunday, we chatted with the guy in charge there, he let me go inside the fence (cause I made Mythos) and get some pictures. He said that one of the fence posts around Project CP had fallen down on it, crushing part of it. That's probably the damage you saw. He said he does push Mythos around the track sometimes for people, and it still works!

Well, it's really good to hear you had a great time at Cedar Point too! Stinks that you missed half your day because of rain too. But good to know you got on MF, Mav, and TTD.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#3 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

^I didn't know you were there, we should have met up or something! Rain certainly does hurt more than bugs, I rode Kingda Ka in the front while it was raining. Mythos was definitely the least damaged of all the models there, and it's pretty cool to know that it still works!

Here are the pictures. They're all unedited, except for the last one.

The weather the first day (not so good)
Posted Image

Windseeker and Wicked Twister
Posted Image

More Windseeker
Posted Image

What's left of Disaster Transport
Posted Image

Millennium Force stuck on the lift
Posted Image

Dual hills
Posted Image

Shoot the Rapids
Posted Image

Maverick
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mythos
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What happens to bugs on Top Thrill Dragster
Posted Image

Top Thrill Dragster
Posted Image

Iron Dragon and the moon
Posted Image

Corkscrew
Posted Image

Millennium Force
Posted Image

Mantis
Posted Image

Posted Image

Corkscrew and Power Tower
Posted Image

Top Thrill Dragster launching into the sunset
Posted Image

Millennium Force's reflection from the Marina
Posted Image

The weather on the second day (much better!)
Posted Image

The Sandcastle Suites
Posted Image

Magnum
Posted Image

Posted Image

Top Thrill Dragster (the "Your Speed" sign wasn't working)
Posted Image

Gemini
Posted Image

Rides on the Midway
Posted Image

Blue Streak while leaving the park
Posted Image

Posted Image

The park from the causeway
Posted Image

The sign
Posted Image

The only edited photo, Top Thrill Dragster at night
Posted Image

Enjoy!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

#4 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Those are some great pictures, and Millennium Force always gets stuck at that same part, I was going to ask if it was stuck until I read the description. Did you see that awful k'nex roller coaster in the back of the museum, that was huge and a waste of space. Was Maverick your favorite because all I can see is that you love Mantis.

#5 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thanks! Millennium Force is actually my favorite, my avatar/signature were made in 2008 when Mantis was my favorite ride.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, family, fun, huge, newbie