six flags magic mountain "VIPER" canceled

marching band music

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

hi all after getting frustrated with Lazer i decided to start a new coaster this one of my own design. so far i have the lift, pre drop turn, and the drop constructed. my first element will be a bat wing loop. based on my testing i should have plenty of speed to do this as the first element. how does it look so far?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by rotccapt, 07 June 2013 - 01:13 PM.
changed direction with the coaster

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

It looks pretty good so far. I would suggest smoothing out the top of the drop to get rid of the sharp spot in the middle but other than that I have no complaints.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 iCoaster44

iCoaster44

French K'nexpert

• 383 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

The drop is too vertical. Try to smooth it.

#4 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

The drop is fine, although some of your supports are a little weak. Try to add some more where they aren't very sturdy, like 1 gray right and 2.5 down from where the drop starts.

#5 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Smooth out the turn and drop and add some more supports. Then your good. IMO I would like to see a little hill before the drop. It's up to you not me.

#6 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

i was actual thinking about a hill at the top of the drop. i will strengthen up that one point

#7 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

so i added a pre drop hill and re did the drop. also i have the start to the bat wing loop. do you think my pull out and pull in is too steep?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

I don't think it's too steep, it's just too tight after the drop. For the size of drop you have, the pull out should be a bit wider and shouldn't start so far down. Other than that, it's pretty good. The crest of the drop is considerably better.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#9 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

well guys i found out that i will not have enough pieces to keep going with my original design, so i decided to try and do another recreation. i am going to try and build "Viper" from six flags magic mountain.

so far i have the drop redone and am starting on the first tear drop loop. currently i am still using the lift hill from the first design but i will be modding it after i get going on this build.
so the top of the tear drop is 1 gray rod lower than the crest of the lift, do you think i will have enough speed to make it through? i know the shaping is off on the loop and i will be adding some tubes to help support it, but what do you think of my new progress?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

There are a couple of sharp spots on the first drop but shouldn't be too difficult to fix but you're going to be pushing it for speed over the loop. To be honest, it will be difficult to make it work from my experience, but others may disagree so don't change it just yet. Also, how long was your first design because it must've been pretty big for a recreation of Viper to use fewer pieces.

Tyndrum

#11 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

For your second coaster. That's a good drop!! But I think the loop is a bit odd in shape. And size. Make sure you support your drop more too!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#12 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

well the coaster is the same height but with the pre drop turn i used up about 85% of my granite rods. with this one i will be reusing some of the lift structure for loops 2 and 3 and i can use tubes to help support the rest so i think i will be ok. i have about 3.5 ss kits worth of cross ties so im not running out of those just yet. we will see. when i get back form my business trip in December i might buy a couple more kits if i need to

#13 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi, Jon.

The turn on your drop is too elongated. Compare these three pictures. The train is facing the loop about half-way down the drop. The steepness of your drop looks fine, but try to tighten up the first part of your turn and make the bottom bigger.

About like this:
Posted Image

I grew up admiring this coaster and I'm excited to see it being built. Nice choice, Sir.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

#14 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

i see what you are talking about. i will see what i can do. bummer part is i will be out of town for the next month so no work will get done. till i get back

i really hope i will have enough momentum to get through the entire layout. do you think it will work?

so do any of you use roller coaster tycoon to design your coasters?

#15 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

^I have designed in rct once or twice but for the most part I hand draw layouts because rct is to rigid and limits your full building ability.

As far as making it through the layout, for most recreations it is quite difficult but possible if you build it strong, weigh your cars and lubricate them.

Posted Image

#16 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

the only element i think i will have a real problem with is the bat wing loop but we will see when i get to that one

#17 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

well i have made some changes to the drop although im not quite happy with it yet i think i am getting close. i do need to get a little more speed out of it though. i have started working on the first loop and i also have it close but the shaping is off. the train does make it all the way through but just barely. i think the first half of the loop is right but it is the exit that needs work. so what do you think of my progress

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

That's a big improvement. Your drop looks good. I like your loop, too. Nice progress :)
The one thing I see that needs work is the shape of the bottom of your drop.
Right now, you have some straight spots, and sharp spot at the bottom.
From about 3 granites up, try to make that one big, smooth curve.

#19 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

I agree. I'm surprised to see that it makes it... just. But if the bottom of the drop was smooth it will go even faster. In fact, the smoother the whole coaster is the faster it will go so try to remove any straight spots if any appear on the ride in the future. The drop looks a lot closer to the real thing than it was though. Another thing I'd watch though for a recreation is the angle of the lift hill because I don't think the lift hill is 45 degrees on the actual ride. Just something to think about.

Tyndrum

#20 rotccapt

rotccapt

• 108 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Another thing I'd watch though for a recreation is the angle of the lift hill because I don't think the lift hill is 45 degrees on the actual ride. Just something to think about.

i will be reworking the lift hill because the angle is way off. i just used the lift i already had built.

i will work on the bottom of the drop. should i move the loop closer to the bottom of the drop of just make the pullout shallower?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marching band, music