222 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

DUTCH DETAILS IS PROUD TO PRESENT
KOLOSS

You may have seen the subtle hints and teasers in this fake thread. Now it is time to show you the real deal. I will show you pictures that have previously been posted in a private sub forum, so some of you have already seen the pictures. But before you get to see the pictures I will tell you more about the ride. Unless you just decide to not read text at all and only look at the pictures.

Some of you guessed I was building a B&M Megacoaster. Some of you guessed something else or really had no clue. In fact, it is the first. Koloss is a K'NEX coaster modelled after a B&M Megacoaster. With an 8'3" tall lift hill, the ride is slightly taller than Balrog. I haven't actually measured the angle of descent on the first drop, but it is fairly steep. Many B&M Megacoasters have a slight turn immediately following the first drop, but I have chosen not to do so. This is mainly because I am limited to building in my parents' living room. Actually even without that turn, I had to move around furniture, making it impossible to have dinner at the table. That said, after the first valley, the track ascends again, ending up in 6'6" camelback hill. And that is really all that has been built so far. Upcoming weekend I will continue construction on the second half of said camelback hill and the next element: the helix we have previously seen on Goliath in SFoG.

Since this is the first post in this construction thread, you haven't seen that I am building really slowly. How come I build that slow? First, I can only build on certain weekends and holidays (when I'm at my parents' house). Second, long tube supports take up a long time building, especially since I always build my tubes from scratch. This is to ensure that the tube's length is perfect for the job. My tubes always contain layering of the rods, so when they are finished, they are VERY hard to either lengthen or shorten. Therefore I always intend to build tubes correctly the first time. Now I'll come to what I wanted to say: when building high up in the air, you need to support the track when you're shaping the track. The key word: temporary box supports! That is why construction can go very slowly sometimes.

Finally, here are the pictures!

Posted Image
Lift hill, the first version. It is rather different right now.

Posted Image
The supports have been changed, you'll see.

Posted Image
Well look at that, a crest.

Posted Image
The motor setup. It was also changed a bit after testing the lift.
Unfortunately I still have to solve the joltiness of the chain lift.

Posted Image
Oh we're goin' down!

Posted Image
Ah, the lateral supports switched sides.

Posted Image
As you can see I use temporary track before I finalize it.

Posted Image
That is because of the backbone(s) I use on this ride.

Posted Image
If you hadn't noticed it before, I use halfmoons on the tubes. It looks better with red rods.

Posted Image
The first version of the camelback hill.

Posted Image
That moment when you build two tubes that you end up not even using...

Posted Image
This is the final version of the camelback hill, slightly lowered.

Posted Image
The top half of the hill has a different backbone.

Posted Image
Actually the train flies over the camelback hill with realistic speed.

Posted Image
Don't let the perspective fool you. The heights still are 8'3" and 6'6".

And that is all for today. As I said, I will continue this weekend. So be on the lookout for another update on (probably) Sunday evening (CET).

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

I, I, I, omg thats is super dooper sexy! You really are going to need another museum for this one! This is just jaw dropping, how about we do go beyond Balrog. ;)

EDIT: All hail the god of tubes.

#3 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Smeckzy all over it, saw some portions IRL when I came to pick up some pieces for R80XL.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Oh. My. God. I honestly don't even know what to say. THAT THING IS MASSIVE!! You have come up with some ingenious strategies to build this big. I can't wait to see where else you're going with this! In the second to last picture, it looks like there isn't really a sharp spot, but it changes the angle a little too fast at one point where the second support is. Other than that, amazing!!!

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#5 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Another great build! You've built quite a lot for the time being, shaping looks great of course. Try and get some more height out of that hill!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#6 Poseidon

Poseidon

A.k.a. Ninja

• 303 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

That's one sexy ride. I want to see more!

#7 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

This thing is huge! How fast does it go?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#8 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

You should call it "around the world" and make it go all around your house:P but seriously this is really awesome!

#9 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

So that's how you spell it! I remember you kept saying that name while we were at Efteling and I wondered if you were going to spell it with a "C" or not.

As for size and shaping, everything is looking awesome! The only thing is that it appears the hill is a bit sharp. That might just be an illusion, but any thoughts about changing the peak of it so round it out? Don't go out of your way to change it if I'm the only one who notices/thinks this, but if other people are feeling the same way then take that into account.

Posted Image

#10 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Ya the hill does have a sharp slot at the top too, but holy cow this is huge keep it up dude can we see a test video too please!!!

#11 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Looking awesome! The supports are very appealing. The crest design is very interesting, I like the wheels for the chain. I do see the sharpness at the top of the hill, but it's nothing worth changing in my opinion unless you feel strongly about it. I've noticed a sharpness at the top of B&M hills before too.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

I think I'll repeat what I said again: no big projects planned for this year? Right... Your ceiling must be about the same height as mine and I can say now that I can't quite believe the size.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#13 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

Wow, the red tubes do look quite appealing! You're gonna use a ton of black y connectors for that back bone. Keen to see some twistyness in this one!

#14 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

... And I thought track spines were only for VV :P

#15 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

thats sexual

#16 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

wow this is going to be way bigger than Balrog HOLY CRAP that thing is bad ass really nice work props to you

#17 KBP2000

KBP2000

I love music

• 266 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

wow! it's very nice!!! become greater than he balrog?

Koen

#18 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

[quote name='Micro Mike 21']I, I, I, omg thats is super dooper sexy! You really are going to need another museum for this one! This is just jaw dropping, how about we do go beyond Balrog. ;)
EDIT: All hail the god of tubes.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, Mike. Hahaha, yes, since this will be a very large ride, a museum is probably needed for this. Thusfar I haven't talked to the museum doing a sequel this year, so at the moment Koloss is meant to be set up at home or whatever place I can find.

[quote name='Maxlaam']Smeckzy all over it, saw some portions IRL when I came to pick up some pieces for R80XL.[/QUOTE]
That was quite a fun moment. One had to walk under the first drop in order to get from one side of the room to the other. It's always nice when you come over and I can show you what is happening at Gump's Construction Site, Max.

[quote name='amagzi24']Oh. My. God. I honestly don't even know what to say. THAT THING IS MASSIVE!! You have come up with some ingenious strategies to build this big. I can't wait to see where else you're going with this! In the second to last picture, it looks like there isn't really a sharp spot, but it changes the angle a little too fast at one point where the second support is. Other than that, amazing!!![/QUOTE]
Whereas most people have a specific signature style, I try to incorporate a different style into each of my rides. An example is the backbone on the lift, in which the chain return is integrated. Actually, I have to look into that chain return a bit more. I suspect it causes too much friction, leading to the joltiness of the chain lift. Max thought it may be the first guiding wheel in the crest of the lift (inside the track). I doubt that is the cause. If anyone has ideas for solving this, please let me know. The 'sharp spot' you are talking about appears to be accentuated by the background and the slight differences in cross tie distance. As you can see, it doesn't show up in other pictures.

[quote name='CoasterGeek987']Another great build! You've built quite a lot for the time being, shaping looks great of course. Try and get some more height out of that hill![/QUOTE]
It took me quite a while to build this. It was actually January 6th when I started building this mammoth. Of course I haven't built 24/7 since then. You suggest to get some more height out of that hill. Do you mean that this first camelback hill should be a bit taller or that the following elements should be sufficiently tall?

[quote name='Poseidon']That's one sexy ride. I want to see more![/QUOTE]
Yes, sexy it is! Tomorrow I will probably continue construction. (Actually I will have to, my bed is covered with track pieces.)

[quote name='TheRandomGuy']This thing is huge! How fast does it go?[/QUOTE]
I will show you later. It is likely that I want to get a teaser video up on YouTube. I can tell you that the train goes REALLY fast through the valley (duh!) and that I have a video of it going over the camelback hill. I will need that video to estimate the speed I have to give it when testing the next element.

[quote name='soggyhotdoggg']You should call it "around the world" and make it go all around your house:P but seriously this is really awesome![/QUOTE]
I am sure my parents will be thrilled to hear about your idea. ;) Nah, I prefer a model with a bit more realism in the design.

[quote name='Jumpge']So that's how you spell it! I remember you kept saying that name while we were at Efteling and I wondered if you were going to spell it with a "C" or not.

As for size and shaping, everything is looking awesome! The only thing is that it appears the hill is a bit sharp. That might just be an illusion, but any thoughts about changing the peak of it so round it out? Don't go out of your way to change it if I'm the only one who notices/thinks this, but if other people are feeling the same way then take that into account.[/QUOTE]
I got the name from my favorite album by Meshuggah. The name Colossos/Colossus has been used many times, both in the real world and on SSC, but I figured that Koloss would be a great name to use. The top of the camelback hill is a little more pointy than you would expect on a non-B&M coaster. But since this is modelled with a B&M style, I decided to give it a more pointy look, which you often see on B&M Megacoasters.

[quote name='IOAgeek']Ya the hill does have a sharp slot at the top too, but holy cow this is huge keep it up dude can we see a test video too please!!![/QUOTE]
Like just said above: the sharp / pointy look is on purpose. A test video will come later in the form of a teaser video for YouTube. I have no idea when I will get working on that, though.

[quote name='rollercoasterfanatic919']Looking awesome! The supports are very appealing. The crest design is very interesting, I like the wheels for the chain. I do see the sharpness at the top of the hill, but it's nothing worth changing in my opinion unless you feel strongly about it. I've noticed a sharpness at the top of B&M hills before too.[/QUOTE]
Ah, you have a good eye there. I felt the importance of giving the camelbacks and bunny hops the right B&M shape. Even though I prefer Intamin camelbacks like on Expedition GeForce and Goliath, I want to try and stick to this B&M look. Now the red / yellow look of the supports is something that I also really like. I guess I grew tired of always building with grey rod tubes. Now if only I had a huge abundance of red tubing to match the tubes. Ah well, I am using my red train, so perhaps it is better to have the track be green / purple, for contrast.

[quote name='CW5X']I think I'll repeat what I said again: no big projects planned for this year? Right... Your ceiling must be about the same height as mine and I can say now that I can't quite believe the size.[/QUOTE]
That is what I said, yes. But who told you that this ride will be finished before next year? This is a massive ride, so who knows...

[quote name='tornado96']Wow, the red tubes do look quite appealing! You're gonna use a ton of black y connectors for that back bone. Keen to see some twistyness in this one![/QUOTE]
Luckily I have more than a ton of black Y-clips, so doing these backbones along the whole ride should not be a problem. I am also very happy that I can finally use the insane amount of red rods I have. And there will be some twistyness, definitely. Like I said, the next element will be the helix featured in SFoG's Goliath. But I don't expect that will be the only element with turns. Actually I have not yet determined the rest of the layout. That really depends on the outcome of this next helix.

[quote name='The Stig']... And I thought track spines were only for VV :P[/QUOTE]
Hehe, yeah, that's what you thought. I take you have seen so-called track strengtheners before, right? I used those on Balrog, but they really widen the track. Then on Tornado I used the halfmoon backbone, which really worked like a charm. On Koloss this backbone is featured once again, with an increased amount of halfmoons to stiffen the track. In the valleys I use a full-tube backbone, for even more stiffness!

[quote name='Minimoggi']thats sexual[/QUOTE]
Without a doubt, Rhys, without a doubt.

[quote name='crazyracer']wow this is going to be way bigger than Balrog HOLY CRAP that thing is bad ass really nice work props to you[/QUOTE]
It's only a little taller, actually. But I expect the efficiency of a megacoaster to be a bit better than that of a megalooper, so the ride could become longer, yes.

[quote name='KBP2000']wow! it's very nice!!! become greater than he balrog?[/QUOTE]
Greater, larger, yes, all of that. Without the box support backbone I used on Balrog, this will most probably look a lot better, too!

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#19 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

since my jaw broke with ze pictures....
Posted Image

#20 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Not sure if anyone asked this but does it shake because with that height it most likely has a ton of speed? It also seems like you didn't put any middle tubing on it. Are you going to? To save time, if you don't already do so, you should just keep the boxes built and take some of it off for each element. How do you connect the tubes and track together when its that tall? Do you use a step ladder? You must have a lot of green X-ties to keep it all on color! I also noticed that you used the 8th and 9th pictures in the other thread as a teaser. Wow I asked a lot of questions.......... Anyway I am really like this coaster so far! Keep up the great work! :) (thumbsup)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boomerang, cota, lambchopz, school, screamin serpent