• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#41 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

[quote name='Dragon']since my jaw broke with ze pictures....[/QUOTE]
You always like my large builds, don't you? ;)

[quote name='timonator']Not sure if anyone asked this but does it shake because with that height it most likely has a ton of speed?
It also seems like you didn't put any middle tubing on it. Are you going to?
To save time, if you don't already do so, you should just keep the boxes built and take some of it off for each element.
How do you connect the tubes and track together when its that tall? Do you use a step ladder?
You must have a lot of green X-ties to keep it all on color!
I also noticed that you used the 8th and 9th pictures in the other thread as a teaser. Wow I asked a lot of questions.......... Anyway I am really like this coaster so far! Keep up the great work! :) (thumbsup)[/QUOTE]
I have my own private test video and it shows no shaking, thanks to the backbone, the correct placement of the supports and the track-to-support connections. It can hold the insane speed perfectly.
I will probably add middle tubing in the end, but since every time I build I have to take it down to chunks, I don't add middle tubing if it adds pretty much nothing to the stiffness of the track.
The temporary box supports are also in storage upstairs and I will use them again when starting on the next element.
For the lift hill I needed something to stand on, but I can manage the rest just fine without.
Yup, I sure have a lot of them. 3370 green cross ties, actually.
You are correct about the teasers being crops of these pictures.

[quote name='CoasterGeek987']I think the hill should be raised to about 6'8-6'9, then all the following elements should be just tall enough where it's not terrible pacing, just more like as realistic and tall as can be, right?[/QUOTE]
How can you know the camelback hill should be raised? You don't know its speed when it travels over the camelback hill. :)

[quote name='iCoaster44']OMG...
The only word I can describe this beauty !
A(utomatics)rduino ?
Test with 9 cars ! It'll awsome ! :D
For Gump: A little coaster is Balrog. HE WANT MOAR POWA ![/QUOTE]
Arduino will be involved later on the project. I could just re-use Balrog's system or Max and I could work out something that suits our purposes better.
The coaster is currently tested with a 6-car train. I still have to improve the lift's performance, so I cannot guarantee a longer train.

[quote name='Witting']jogumpie high as fuck using tubes as a spine[/QUOTE]
God of Tubes, right? ;)

[quote name='pkiknex25']image[/QUOTE]
[quote name='The Stig']image
... So you're saying you wish the lift was taller?[/QUOTE]
I share your confusion.

[quote name='soggyhotdoggg']I'm not sure if I missed the answer to this but is this entire thing just going to be in your house? Or in some museum/room? Outside?[/QUOTE]
Most probably in-house. The backyard is not long enough and the museum has no plans for a K'NEX exposition this year.

[quote name='Micro Mike 21']He wasnt talking about the lift, he was talking about the hill after the first drop.[/QUOTE]
I am sure The Stig understood that. But the matter of fact is that a taller camelback hill requires a taller lift hill.

[quote name='pkiknex25']Oh you kids have no idea of the speed loss from big builds...[/QUOTE]
Indeed, I think only a few members on this site truly know. Even back in the day, with the large 20+ ft. Kingda Ka models, we had no idea of this speed loss.

[quote name='CoasterGeek987']Well, I am sure I'll test that theory very soon ;)[/QUOTE]
Call me when you have the same performance at the same scale. :)

[quote name='A.S.C.']its tested with everything gump builds[/QUOTE]
Almost true, but I see what you are getting at. ;)

[quote name='321']this thing is going to be sick! :)[/QUOTE]
That's something I often say when I look at it from a distance.

[quote name='MrRemcoStyle']This looks great, a test video will be nice :)[/QUOTE]
It sure will be nice, but it won't be posted for a while.

[quote name='TheSUCKCrew']I have been expecting this since the album came out.[/QUOTE]
Hehe, someone just had to name a coaster 'Koloss'.

[quote name='maarten12']Looking good, Jochem! The hardest part is done, as it will get easier to build when you're lower off the ground :).[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily. Building turns with this backbone is gonna be a hard part. So the next element is going to be a challenge. ;)

[quote name='Minimoggi']Looks pretty damn smooth to me - why aren't there any laterals inside the supports though?
Surely if stability is an issue?
Even if there's no lateral forces on this hill, it would help?[/QUOTE]
I posted a clarification earlier and we talked this over on Skype, but I will add those 'inside supports' to the tallest support column of the camelback hill. The other columns don't need those, but the tallest (just like on the lift hill) sure can use some extra support. The stability is just fine, it's just that the lateral support tends to bend under its own weight.

[quote name='Joost12']Hmm, where is the coaster? I only see a living room.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Joost12']HUGE! SMOOTH! The living room is really awesome, but what about some pictures of the coaster itself? ;)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Maxlaam']What.......?[/QUOTE]
Ehm, yeah, Joost, what...?

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#42 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

I don't see a chain tensioner anywhere. Maybe you felt since the chain was supported everywhere you didn't need one. I've found that just due to the length of the links relative to the wheel and gear sizes you need something to allow for the variation as the links pass by. This is more pronounced with the wheels than with the gears (unless you use one gear like a wheel). I've also found that chains that are too tight tend to jerk as well. I use very thin rubber bands and try to use shallow angles of deflection on the tensioners. I've also found that the longer the chain the more travel the tensioner needs. I've used your chain guide in several places on my coaster and have not found it to create a ton of friction. If you can get it off in one piece easily you could spary the whole guide with silicone, might help.

More often than not when I find the chain running jerkily it ends up being someplace it is rubbing on a rod or the end of the middle tubing is not cut at a good angle, but I am sure you've already checked for the obvious.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#43 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Damnit Gump...... At this rate you should be at full scale by the middle of the century

#44 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

So... what shall be your next coaster? a real-size Kingda Ka?

Only one thing, what are those papers, next to the tubes?
Amazing, Awesome. There aren't words in the humanity to describe this. keep the collosal work Gump!
Spoiler

Edited by Dragon, 17 March 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#45 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

So... what shall be your next coaster? a real-size Kingda Ka?

Only one thing, what are those papers, next to the tubes?
Amazing, Awesom. There aren't words in the humanity to describe this.

Spoiler

i think these are markers for when he is going to fully erect it.

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#46 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

^^ Yeah dragon I think those are to tell him which tubes are which ones when he fully sets it up.

That is one big camelback. I can't believe what people can do with knex these days! It's amazing! Keep up the great work! I'm very eager to see what comes next!

#47 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

... for when he is going to fully erect it.

LMFAO!

Posted Image

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#48 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

LMFAO!

Immaturity at it's finest! XD

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#49 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Immaturity at it's finest! XD

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqpIlr82vmviIODPgSfZlYYrsFC503_snIGzw9wb5ASq4RS_2f

Edited by Witting, 19 March 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

#50 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

wow super big outstanding work here

#51 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Everyone expecting an update. Nah, it's really just ^this^ kid being a troll. Hahaha.

Posted Image

#52 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ah alright, because you sorta asked for it.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#53 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

That segment is just on replay, Ill be dreaming of this later tonight. Thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#54 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I like the 'okay' bit at the start.

Looks good :)

#55 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Very epic. Can't wait to see more.

#56 Joost12

Joost12

Knex Freak

• 274 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Wut?!? How tall is it???? YOU stand next to it and it's taller than you?
//Joost

Posted Image

#57 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Curious why Youtube puts Japanese models videos as similar links to Gumps coaster??

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#58 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Very impressive. There is almost no shaking.

Posted Image

#59 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Curious why Youtube puts Japanese models videos as similar links to Gumps coaster??

Because youtube gathers other video based on what you watch, not all based on the video itself, so if you watched some crazy asian coasters recently then it's more likely to display those.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

i have japanese nail polish ads.

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boomerang, cota, lambchopz, school, screamin serpent